You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:23 pm 

Well, I seem to be allergic to...water? I know I'm not really allergic to water, but I've been developing hives whenever I shower--hot, cold, or lukewarm water--for the past, oh, 3-4 years? My doctor insisted it was the soaps and shampoos I was using. I don't use shampoo (I'm one of those hippie dippies who use conditioner only), and the body soap we have is all natural and hypoallergenic. I even went a few times without ANY soap at all, and STILL got the hives.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen fairly often. I had to start setting a timer to take my showers; I had to START washing my hair IN THE SINK, so I could get in, rinse it, and also have time to wash my body before the hives set in. They usually appear on the sides of my face, my neck, shoulders and chest. I also get an odd rash on the insides of my legs. It looks as though I've been standing under too hot water--but again, this happens in the cold, hot, or lukewarm water. It even happens when I shower at friends houses, too.

If that weren't enough, I started to realize that hot days were agony. I was getting hives if I got too hot, too! If I was out in the sun for too long (even a walk to the mailbox made my back break out), I got insanely itchy almost instantly.

I don't really understand what to make of it, but they've had me on an antihistamine which helps, but still doesn't cure the problem 100%. I was wondering, has anyone experienced anything like this?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Did something happen 3-4 years ago? Have you been living in the same house/town since before then?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:46 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Did something happen 3-4 years ago? Have you been living in the same house/town since before then?

Nothing I can put my finger on. Still live in the same house, same town, never been out on my own or done any traveling. No new animals or people living here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

When you react to the sweat of walking to the mailbox, is it the same areas that are affected?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:55 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
When you react to the sweat of walking to the mailbox, is it the same areas that are affected?

Usually it's just my back. The only time I get the hives on my face or chest when I'm not in the water is when I'm exercising in the heat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

But you don't get hives in your arms pits...or other areas that tend to sweat a lot. I wonder if it's a combination of damp skin and cloth touching the skin...just thinking out loud... :dungetit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:08 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
But you don't get hives in your arms pits...or other areas that tend to sweat a lot. I wonder if it's a combination of damp skin and cloth touching the skin...just thinking out loud... :dungetit

I wonder! Weird thing is, I don't really sweat that much, so I don't really understand either. I guess I just keep going to get tested on and be a lab rat lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

I know your soaps (laundry and personal) are natural and hypoallergenic. You might want to consider that it may still be something in these... Hypoallergenic means not usually causing allergic reactions. And you can be allergic to simple food items such as eggs, milk, nuts etc. So don't let that fool you!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Salma, possible it's chronic urticaria (hives), which can be related to heat and/or cold.

Have a look at this article: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... t-allergy/

If that sounds familiar, you should try to get an allergist's appt. and get a professional diagnosis and advice on how to manage.
If it seems to be more often than with heat and cold, you might want to start with a dermatologist.

There are extremely rare reactions just to water. But I wouldn't jump ahead to that. The odds are quite remote.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:42 am 

I have a friend that reacts to hard water. She has a water softener at home. Could it be a reaction to the minerals in your water and sweat?

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:12 am 

From your posts, no idea of your age but hormonal changes really messed with my body although some only lasted a couple of years.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:40 pm 

Just a FYI: There exists a person in England who is actually allergic to Water. She relies on sipping only tiny amounts of Diet Coke.

However, I'd vote for Uticarian issue because you don't seem to react to water you drink. I react to any fabric, except swimsuit material, that is close to my skin, but this does not explain the shower issue. So, just in case this is useful to anyone, I'm necroposting anyways. ;)

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt