You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

No but not that far. She went to Bishop Smith Catholic High School in Pembroke.
http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... lergy-law/

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:33 pm 

Bishop Smith Catholic High School is in the Renfrew County Catholic School Division.
http://bsch.rccdsb.edu.on.ca/

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Ah yes, now I get it...so it is the same school.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:44 am 

Well, I am not sure how many schools are in that particular school division. But, what gets me is how good that particular policy is....if our school division policies were like that in Alberta, I wouldn't be complaining, but what I don't get is why does it take someone to die before attention is really paid. This just is not right and I believe it is the union not wanting to take any responsibility. I think parents here take it for granted that teachers have first aid tickets at the very least and for the most part would be not pleased to know that they don't. I'm not sure about other provinces or the states.
I have a hard copy of this and at the bottom it says 25-Apr-05. I suppose that is when it was brought into effect.

Michele
p.s. Want to know a strange coincidence? I used to live in Barry's Bay 25 years ago (half my life ago in a different life) which is in that school division. Like one of those full circle things. :abduct

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:03 am 

http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=310406
Quote:
The guidelines were required because a student with an allergy to peanuts will be transferring into the school system next month.

Must be a very small school division in Iowa.http://www.central.k12.ia.us/AllergyGuidelines.pdf

Michele

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:09 am 

Here's another new policy
http://www.rockfordindependent.com/main ... cleID=3563
I like this part
Quote:
A group of local moms whose children have allergies to various foods was instrumental in initiating and drafting a new comprehensive set of procedures for Rockford Public Schools.
and this
Quote:
"Not all schools have a written policy and if they do, they may not have had the foresight to write the policy with the help of parents who deal with this issue on a daily basis,"

I also notice that they have readings of this in order to pass....we didn't get that in Parkland, although I have noticed some school divisions do. Lots of differences. A mom needs to know a lot about procedures for getting procedures. :banghead So much to learn. Btw, Rockford is in Michigan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:14 am 

http://www.foodallergy.org/blog/category/Schools
Quote:
I know that some in the food allergy community are unhappy that these guidelines will be voluntary, and not mandatory, but this is just a political reality. We knew early on that any sort of mandate on our schools would never have been passed by Congress. So the dilemma was pass something voluntary vs. pass nothing at all. We chose the former.

Quote:
It was frustrating, however, to realize that the legislative process can be filled with so many obstacles and challenges. Partisanship is real, and there were concerns raised not only about the grant incentives in the legislation, but also whether the legislation was even something the federal government should consider. One legislator even told a family from his state that FAAMA was unconstitutional.

This is very interesting....apparently it took 5 years....came down to voluntary or nothing.. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:31 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
Quote:
FAAMA, which was written largely by FAAN (the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network), was initially introduced in 2005 to coincide with FAAN’s inaugural Kids’ Congress on Capitol Hill. Although the legislation earned bipartisan support over the years in both the House and Senate, it was never enacted – until now

This is great news. Crazy that it took this long - something about a "lame duck bill"?

What does concern me though is this
Quote:
1.requires the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services to develop and make available to schools a voluntary policy to manage the risk of food allergy and anaphylaxis in schools

This is only one step. Kind of sound to me like the "policy advisory" we have in Alberta....or am I asking too much here or missing something. :scratchy

Michele

Ahhhhh--- :oops: just got the 'lame duck' thing.... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

You have to wonder why it is so hard to just pass a law that empowers school boards to keep the students safe. Who exactly is against this? Why, again? I seem to have forgotten...how is it such a bad idea? :dungetit :banghead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:56 pm 

$

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

:frightened

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Plus also misunderstanding. There's still a lot of: 'can't the child just not eat that food?' around.

I wish we had a snappy phrase or saying to explain cross-contamination.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:42 pm 

I wish people that worked with children were required to know how to recognize, react and respond to an emergency if one were to happen....what part of "life-threatening" do the people that run our country not get?
I just hated it when I would go into a school and ask a few questions and would get that 'look' from people who had no experience with allergies, or the old "well, it's not like it's a peanut allergy... or "well, she can do it herself, can't she?"

We have fire drills in schools for a reason.....in case of emergency. At the very least people in schools would maybe get the seriousness of allergies and not send kids off on there own when they have an itch and a rash. or lock up emergency medication. or not share with anyone where it is or how to use it. or give people the knowledge that the "Good Samaritan Act" will cover them if they administer to a student....no, you don't have to "cover their hand over the epi pen" What the hoo-ha??? I think that is cya cuz that's not what that 'request to assist' means.

Maybe an annual in service would clear things up? :banghead :banghead At the very least it gets the conversation out there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:18 pm 

check this out
What One School Learned From Anaphylaxis Drills

http://onwebmanager.net/asthma/view/vie ... ead_id=134

Quote:
The key to managing an allergic reaction in school is preparation. School Administrators at PS8, the Robert Fulton School, in Brooklyn, NY, wanted to be sure that school staff and volunteers knew exactly what to do if a child had an allergic reaction during the school day. So they put together a team of school staff and outside experts, including nurses and parents, to create an " Anaphylaxis Emergency Management Protocol".

Quote:
The staff took the drills seriously and played their roles well, even though some were nervous. The team used the things that went wrong to refine their protocol. For example, they found that the public announcement system couldn't be heard in part of the school, and some telephones wouldn't work for 911 calls. They also identified the need for a backup plan if the school nurse was unavailable and for a plan for field trips.

Tim, the father of a child at the school who has food allergies, participated on the team. "Every morning we used to drop our son off wondering whether today would be the day we get the phone call," he said. Because of the drills, "that fear has subsided. The drills protect staff and volunteers from the dreadful situation of watching a child experience anaphylaxis and not knowing what to do. Bravo PS8!"

Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network's Food Allergy News, Volume 17, Number 6 August-September 2008.