Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:35 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Oh boy! :roll: They don't know what they're in for. :huggy

:thanksign Acually, I'm thinking we are in agreement. In any event, I am not going to invent the wheel or repeat myself, so I was just gonna put out an invitation to come here and read and chat.

I may be wrong.....but I think that when parents know that not all teachers have a first aid ticket let alone the allergy issue....they may be interested.....this is the oilpatch and a lot is expected from that industry when it comes to safety.....and this is our children's safety we are discussing.
The following seems pretty staight forward to me.
Quote:
That school staff should be trained with respect to first aid and anaphylaxis reaction management

That website is really interesting. I am somewhat amazed at how this all works but I will take time to learn that particular chat thing, so it will take awhile :roll: In the meantime, it is interesting what other peoples opinions are on other issues here.

In Calgary
Quote:
Nobody has a quibble with the Calgary Board of Education’s genuine need for secrecy. Discussions of personnel matters, for example, are a perfectly legitimate reason for the board to go in camera.

However, the Association for Responsive Trusteeship in Calgary Schools has raised serious concerns with its statistics on the amount of time CBE trustees spent in camera last year. They met in public for 27 hours and in private for 22. Some of the topics debated in camera, out of sight and earshot of the public, included the CBE’s education charity, its capital projects and a communications strategy for its new headquarters. We fail to see how any of those topics justify secrecy.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/E ... z1XwUbfEB6

they are having a disagreement about time spent "in camera" :rofl When I first heard that term from the board chair (between their in camera meeting and the public meeting) I thought it meant I would be recorded....I was glad...then 2 minutes before I was to speak they asked everyone to leave.....it was all in secret. :banghead :banghead not funny. It is not easy to learn all this as you go......great article I found thru the Alberta School Board Association (ASBA)website the other day http://www.creativeeducation.co.uk/blog ... ngagement/ called "overcoming 10 common barriers to parental engagement" Very good article.

btw our particular school board meets for about an hour before every board meeting in camera :dungetit

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:45 am 

Haven't joined up yet....the discussion thing is not very busy.... :lol: but I am still learning lots just poking around all the websites relevant to education.

this is interesting
http://www.albertaschoolcouncils.ca/?fo ... eforchange

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:06 pm 

This is interesting
https://albertaschoolcouncils.site-ym.c ... ic=326003&
Quote:
Part 3 Responsibilities and Dispute Resolution
We believe the concept of positive relationships and collaborative action among all who support and serve children during their education should prevail, and is indeed a concept underpinning Inspiring Education, Action on Inclusion, ‘wrap-around’ services to students, and an embodiment of the phrase (albeit somewhat worn) that "it takes a whole village to raise a child”. The new Education Act should, at the very least, capture the concept of everyone working together while respecting each participant’s role and responsibility, including that of the student’s parent or guardian, in supporting the success and wellbeing of the student.

The tone and language in 32 (f) suggest that parents be limited in their ability to fully discuss and explore learning options they feel are appropriate to their child’s needs. Too often, this organization has heard of parents being told "We are the professionals, and know better than you what your child needs.” Clause (f) reinforces the concept that parents should know their "place” as non-professionals in the world of education.

This is what it says now.
http://www.assembly.ab.ca/ISYS/LADDAR_f ... ll-018.pdf
Quote:
(f) respect the professional judgment of teachers, principals,
other school staff and professionals providing supports
and services in the school, and

Hmmmm......like when I'm told that a yearly in service isn't necessary, I guess I should have just bowed down.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:07 pm 

sent this today. https://albertaschoolcouncils.site-ym.c ... pe=service
Hi, I have been watching and learning, this is one of the many websites I visit on a regular basis. I would like to see some more information on the subject of Basic First Aid and also more attention paid to anaphlylaxis and allergies in our schools. Unfortunately, there has been another death in a Canadian school. It is my opinion from my own experiences that there is a lack of attention to emergency procedures and training for staff that work with our children. I would be more than pleased to be involved as our family has lived with a life-threatening allergy for many years.

Advocate for Allergy Awareness in Alberta Schools