You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hidden Corn
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:38 am 

Not sure to be unhappy or happy about this development.

I eat Stonyfield Yogurt, it is the only one I don't get an allergic reaction to.

I like companies that try to be ecologically sustainable, but I really hope that the new packaging doesn't mean that my food allergies prevent me from eating this yogurt.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:05 pm 

Can anyone tell me if dry pasta has corn?? I've been feeding Nate (16mo) alot of it, while I try to figure out WHAT else I can feed him. He does not have a wheat allergy, so I thought it would be safe. I am preparing it with unsalted butter and sea salt. But he is still reacting.

Also, is it normal that he seems to be getting MORE sensitive as I am eliminating corn??? :confused If he ingests the least little bit now his little face breaks all out in a rash and his eczema flares up. Even his nose swells. And he has terrible diarrhea. Thank goodness we're still bfing - I think that's the only thing going for him right now!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:55 pm 

Yes. Your son will get more sensitive to Corn as he is less exposed. However, his overall quality of life will go up as Corn isn't constantly causing reactions.

On the pasta, it really depends on the pasta. If it isn't listed in the ingredients, then contact the company. Find out if the pasta is made in a fatory where Corn is a common ingredient.

I can handle some pastas and I can't handle others. The same with Rice. Although the Rices I have problems with have been proven to be dusted with Corn to keep them from sticking to each other.

Trust the reactions more than the label for the truth in ingredients.

There are many products that I have eaten that didn't say they contained Corn, but after a bad reaction and investigation it turned out that they had a lot of Corn in them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:41 pm 

Thanks for the help! He had *something* with corn this morning (I suspect his 2yo brother slipped him some rice krispies) and his face has been broken out ALL DAY. It's so frustrating - I don't think I CAN keep him away from all things corn. :( Does your whole household go corn-free, or do you have separate food/meals?

I am going to a CLC class 3 hours from home in Nov., and everyone is going with me. (we have 7 kids, LOL). I am getting a room with a kitchen, so we can prepare Nate's food corn-free, since I've figured out quickly that there's NO way he can eat fast food. I've never had to pack *food* for a trip before! How do you handle traveling???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:30 am 

Most pasta is a problem for people with corn allergy. Wheat flour is almost always enriched now...which usually means CORN (corn starch can be/is used for the vitamin carrier)... Also, there can be dough conditioners and things like monoglycerides used. Did you check the list of safe foods? I can't do wheat so I don't know which pastas are safe.

As for travelling...I find it very difficult. A kitchen is a must for preparing corn free foods. If you are driving, try to cook ahead and freeze things and take a cooler. Some people even take frozen food onto an airliner in a soft sided cooler.

My heart goes out to you...I always feel so bad when I hear of a little one with this allergy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:44 am 

My home is Corn-free as is possible. I still get hit with trace amounts, but it isn't all the time.

When we travel we stay at places like Extended Stay where they have a stove, frigerator, microwave, and utensils in the room.

I can also order things like:
Eggs
Sausage (no rational reason these cause me no problems)
Omelets with safe vegetables and sausage
Sandwhiches (sourdough, french, and italian breads are not supposed to contain corn)
-The fresher the bread of one of the ones listed above the less likely it contains a lot of Corn.
Most Indian Food
Ethiopian Food
Some Sushi, but I have to get the same 4 ones each time
Pizza (select places only and it is a high risk even for places you "trust")
Some Mexican - Burritos with Flour Tortillas. High cross contaimination likelihood.
Burgers - like sausage no rational reason I can tolerate a Bun with a small amount of Corn in it.
- at home we have burger buns that contain no Corn
- no Fast Food Burgers. Fastest way to Diarrhea and Pain for me.

Additionally, sometimes we will go to really fancy restaurants where the chef is willing to make my food from scratch (usually tastes bland). Only on cruises have the cooking from scratch with only safe ingredients tasted good.

My husband is a much better chef of safe foods for me than any chef out there.

Since I can't have sauces or marinades, he uses Salsa for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:47 am 

Well, we are leaving in 2 days to be gone for 6 days for my class. Nate has been doing better for the most part, but some foods I have been feeding him he is reacting very badly to. :( I'm having trouble telling which ones, tho. His ped urged me to keep a food diary for him - I guess I need to start that asap. And now he seems to be reacting to strawberries too. I got him some Yummy Earth lollipops which claim to be corn free, and he broke out on his mouth and face really badly. But they have tons of reviews on their site from corn-allergic people who eat them with no problems??? He ate strawberry, watermelon and mango flavors. I just wanted him to be able to have something sweet, you know. I'm so confused.

I'm still looking for children's pain reliever. Children's advil now contains corn - I called the maker about it. I need to get with a compounding pharmacy I suppose, but there's not one near me. Can anyone recommend a US one?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:42 pm 

I hope your trip goes well. Good luck trying with trying to narrow down the culprit's causing his reactions. An food journal is a great help, be sure to put down how foods were cooked also, if any seasoning was used etc..
It was by mentioning I had pureed something in DS's food journal that we figured out some of DS' reactions as an infant. Although the food processor was always run through the dishwasher our allergist figured there was still enough trace left to cause his reactions, sure enough, those were the exact foods that ended up being the culprits.

Enjoy your holiday.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:26 pm 

The Yummy Earth Lollipops "used" to be safe...many corn allergic have started reacting to them now. I'm not sure but I think it's the flavourings that are corny.

Strawberries are a problem for me as well. I do great with strawberries from my garden but have horrible reactions to store bought ones. It could be the pesticides used on them or sometimes they can be gassed with corn derived ethylene gas to make them ripen.

Some people in the U.S. get their compounded corn-free meds through mail-order. You could do a search.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:55 pm 

Oh great! I only have three safe (corn free) foods that come in a can and I will likely have to take them out of my diet soon because of the new Corn-Based BPA Replacement....sigh.... I am running out of safe foods...

http://www.fastcompany.com/1682423/comi ... eplacement

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:52 am 

This information is not new to those of us dealing with corn allergy.... It is already pretty much impossible to find a supplement/vitamin that is corn-free (although many are labelled as corn-free).

I like the sentence in the 1 comment that was left:

There are plenty of people out there allergic to corn.
I suppose there will now be a major opportunity for some supplement companies to gather all that corn allergic business, by certifying their supplements as corn-free.

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Res ... iers-Study

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:56 am 

Here is a list of "Hidden Corn" from Where's the Corn in Foods. It goes into detail as to where corn is/can be hiding:

http://hiddencorn.wordpress.com/wheres-the-corn/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:41 pm 

Woman Describes The Nightmare Of Being Allergic To Corn In A World Where Corn Is In Everything

http://www.businessinsider.com/being-al ... orn-2012-7

I'm afraid that less than 5% of what you see in a typical grocery store is safe for people with corn allergy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:40 am 

5%, that's a bit steep. Maybe when it comes to preprepared foods, but fruit and veggies, meat at the meat counter, cheese, milks and eggs does not contain corn. Also, there is no corn in white flour, white sugar, etc. You'll have to make a lot of things from scratch, but let's not blow things out of proportion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:52 pm 

I'm sorry, but you are wrong about the things that you think are safe for a person with corn allergy.
I do not think that you have done any research whatsoever on corn allergies.

Almost all dairy contains some form of corn...the vitamins in milk (mandatory in Canada) are in a corn oil carrier (most often) and even if another oil is used, the vitamins are dispersed in the milk using other corny additives like propylene glycol (food grade antifreeze) and polysorbate 80. The ONLY dairy that I can have is unenriched goat's milk and one kind of cheese from Ireland. North American cheeses are made using corn derived cultures and enzymes that have been manufactured using corn dextrins.

Fruits and vegetables are/can be washed/sprayed with corny things such as citric acid (made from corn) to maintain colour and freshness. They can also be waxed with a corn based wax. Some fresh produce is gassed with ethylene gas to speed the ripening process (bananas and avocados come to mind). Potatoes are gassed to keep them from sprouting (I usually do well with the newer looking potatoes in the bulk bins). Even organic produce can be subjected to these procedures. Yes...there are some things in the produce section that I can eat but not that many. In fact, one week an item will be safe for me and I go back the following week for what I think is the same thing and I will have a major reaction.

Fresh meat is often washed with citric, lactic or other acids (corny) to keep down the pathogens. I cannot eat any store bought fresh (or frozen for that matter) meat. The foam trays are usually made from corn (and dusted with cornstarch to keep them from sticking) and the soaker pads in the trays are treated with citric acid or lactic acid to keep the bacteria count down. I get my grass fed beef from a local rancher...it has only been washed with water and it is quickly frozen in plain brown butcher's paper.

Flour is enriched with vitamins that are in a corn starch carrier. Most grocery stores only carry enriched flour.

Eggs are sometimes ok but most of the time they are not. They are often washed with corn oil or one of the commercial egg washes that are made from corn. I get my eggs from an organic store but I had to confirm with the producer that they use only warm water to clean their eggs.

Oh....you are right about sugar! I am able to use Rogers beet sugar with no problems... Sugar is one of the 5% of things that I can buy at the grocery store.

Try finding bathroom tissue that doesn't create havoc in that nether region! Or medication that doesn't contain corn! (People with corn allergy have to get medication specially compounded). Personal care items are almost always corny. I don't enjoy having to brush my teeth with baking soda or wash my hair with homemade soap. I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar for cleaning.

I have been living with corn allergy since I was born. It is getting harder to find safe food and other items. I totally stand by my statement that "less" than 5% of what you find in a typical grocery store is safe for someone with corn allergy.

PLEASE read all of the posts under the corn allergy thread...you will learn more about where corn is hiding!

In the meantime...here is a list of things that people with corn allergy need to avoid:

Corn Allergen List

Acetic acid
Alcohol
Alpha tocopherol
Artificial flavorings
Artificial sweeteners
Ascorbates
Ascorbic acid
Aspartame (Artificial sweetener)
Astaxanthin
Baking powder
Barley malt* (generally OK, but can be contaminated)
Bleached flour*
Blended sugar (sugaridextrose)
Brown sugar* (generally OK if no caramel color)
Calcium citrate
Calcium fumarate
Calcium gluconate
Calcium lactate
Calcium magnesium acetate (CMA)
Calcium stearate
Calcium stearoyl lactylate
Caramel and caramel color
Carbonmethylcellulose sodium
Cellulose microcrystalline
Cellulose, methyl
Cellulose, powdered
Cetearyl glucoside
Choline chloride
Citric acid*
Citrus cloud emulsion (CCS)
Coco glycerides (cocoglycerides)
Confectioners sugar
Corn alcohol, corn gluten
Corn extract
Corn flour
Corn oil, corn oil margarine
Corn starch
Corn sweetener, corn sugar
Corn syrup, corn syrup solids
Corn, popcorn, cornmeal
Cornstarch, cornflour
Crosscarmellose sodium
Crystalline dextrose
Crystalline fructose
Cyclodextrin
DATUM (a dough conditioner)
Decyl glucoside
Decyl polyglucose
Dextrin
Dextrose (also found in IV solutions)
Dextrose anything (such as monohydrate or anhydrous)
d-Gluconic acid
Distilled white vinegar
Drying agent
Erythorbic acid
Erythritol
Ethanol
Ethocel 20
Ethylcellulose
Ethylene
Ethyl acetate
Ethyl alcohol
Ethyl lactate
Ethyl maltol
Fibersol-2
Flavorings*
Food starch
Fructose*
Fruit juice concentrate*
Fumaric acid
Germ/germ meal
Gluconate
Gluconic acid
Glucono delta-lactone
Gluconolactone
Glucosamine
Glucose*
Glucose syrup* (also found in IV solutions)
Glutamate
Gluten
Gluten feed/meal
Glycerides
Glycerin*
Glycerol
Golden syrup
Grits
High fructose corn syrup
Hominy
Honey*
Hydrolyzed corn
Hydrolyzed corn protein
Hydrolyzed vegetable protein
Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose
Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose pthalate (HPMCP)
Inositol
Invert syrup or sugar
Iodized salt
Lactate
Lactic acid*
Lauryl glucoside
Lecithin
Linoleic acid
Lysine
Magnesium citrate
Magnesium fumarate
Magnesium stearate
Maize
Malic acid
Malonic acid
Malt syrup from corn
Malt, malt extract
Maltitol
Maltodextrin
Maltol
Maltose
Mannitol
Methyl gluceth
Methyl glucose
Methyl glucoside
Methylcellulose
Microcrystaline cellulose
Modified cellulose gum
Modified corn starch
Modified food starch
Molasses* (corn syrup may be present; know your product)
Mono- and di- glycerides
Monosodium glutamate
MSG
Natural flavorings*
Olestra/Olean
Polenta
Polydextrose
Polylactic acid (PLA)
Polysorbates* (e.g. Polysorbate 80)
Polyvinyl acetate
Potassium citrate
Potassium fumarate
Potassium gluconate
Powdered sugar
Pregelatinized starch
Propionic acid
Propylene glycol*
Propylene glycol monostearate*
Saccharin
Salt (iodized salt)
Semolina (unless from wheat)
Simethicone
Sodium carboxymethylcellulose
Sodium citrate
Sodium erythorbate
Sodium fumarate
Sodium lactate
Sodium starch glycolate
Sodium stearoyl fumarate
Sorbate
Sorbic acid
Sorbitan* (anything)
Sorbitol
Sorghum* (not all is bad; the syrup and/or grain CAN be mixed with corn)
Splenda (Artificial sweetener)
Starch (any kind that's not specified)
Stearic acid
Stearoyls
Sucralose (Artificial sweetener)
Sucrose
Sugar* (not identified as cane or beet)
Threonine
Tocopherol (vitamin E)
Treacle (aka golden syrup)
Triethyl citrate
Unmodified starch
Vanilla, natural flavoring
Vanilla, pure or extract
Vanillin
Vegetable anything that's not specific*
Vinegar, distilled white
Vinyl acetate
Vitamin C* and Vitamin E*
Vitamins*
Xanthan gum
Xylitol
Yeast*
Zea mays
Zein

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn- ... e-list.php

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next