Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Disneyland experience
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:22 pm 

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Disneyland California in October with our 7 year old son and 4 year old daughter. Our son is anaphylactic to dairy, peanuts and treenuts.

Anyone been to Disneyland? I see posts on disneyworld experience but not disneyland. If anyone has been to disneyland with children who have allergies and can share their experience at the restaurants in disneyland park specifically, please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Indra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:37 pm 

We have gone twice with our allergic boy. We did NOT talk to food service in advance, which I understand is the right thing to do - apparently they are extremely knowledgable and helpful.

We wanted to stay at a Disneyland Hotel, so we made sure that our rooms had a fridge. We took down many of our own snacks in the suitcase (non-perishables), including soy milk (our ds is allergic to milk & tree nuts). We had breakfast in our room every morning before we left, and packed a backpack with some food for him during the day. The security staff never forced us to remove it.

We had booked a princess lunch, and had planned on him really not eating - just enjoying the experience - but as soon as we explained why we weren't ordering anything, the chef was out to visit us and offered to make him a special meal. He came back out with a hot dog cut up like an octopus (nice touch!) and garnished with fresh fruit and fries! It was a perfectly good meal! That was our 1st clue that these guys know what they're doing. So for our character breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen, I told them about the allergy up front, and the chef brought out a carafe of soy milk just for him! He was able to choose enough things from the buffet (dry cereals, fruit) to fill himself up.

He mostly ate fries on our meals out, as the Mickey-shaped chicken nuggets had buttermilk in the breading. All in all, we managed OK. BUT, for future visits, we will definitely call the food service in advance to get their expert recommendations.

Can't remember where I got this link, but it's amazing!!! I know it's about the World, but I'm hoping they come out with a similar one for the Land soon. Disney is all about the fine details - you really are completely amazed at the lengths they can go to ensure you have the best time!

http://www.allergyfreemouse.com/

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:27 pm 

Hi

Hot dog shaped like Octopus - That's cute!

Thank you very much for the info. That is a really nice website. Loads of Disney info. especially from the articles from Diana the travel agent. Great resource for future Disney related trips :-) We are staying in a hotel right outside DL with stove and fridge access. We plan to have breakfast there and the rest at DL. I have started contacting the chief chef Chris there. We'll see how it goes. I will update as my plans progress.

My concern is for the plane ride as well. Are we allowed to take food on the plane (packaged cold cuts, etc.,). I called the airlines (Continental) and they mentioned it is fine as long as we have no liquids. I believe we have to throw out all the food items though when we land in the US. Since we have a 3 hour stopover at Chicago and switch planes to DL it makes it awkward.

BTW, how did you pack soy milk carton? In cooler carry-on? Our hotel is not too far from the TARGET store. I am hoping to get stuff like that there. Maybe I should call them ahead and find out.

Ideas for non-perishables for carry-on and luggage is appreciated as well :) Thank you so much...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:54 pm 

We took down the So Good 1 litre Tetra paks that don't require refrigeration until they've been opened. They are not in the cooler section, I found them in the juice section at the grocery store with other tetra paks. My ds was picky about which soy milk he drank at that time, so I didn't want to chance that he didn't like what we found in a US grocery store.

You'll have a blast!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:57 am 

Great! Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:59 am 

You cannot usually take meat into the US so it depends on where you clear Customs and Immigration. Liquids must each be under 100ml and for each person, there is a limit. Prescriptions do not count in that limit - e.g., antihistamine, nose sprays. Watch for toothpaste, hand sanitizer, juice box, hand lotion - have had to throw those out :oops Check your airlines website.

In your checked luggage you could take more or bigger sizes but I would wrap it twice and double that and again and then put it in a sealed container like rubbermaid... There is a lot of pressure on those bags! We pack all of her safe over-the-counter medications as well since not always easy to find them.

Plan on more food in your carry-on then you think you will need in case of flight interruption - e.g., sitting on the tarmac in a lightning storm. On our last layover, we had our 'safe' restaurant but turned out their restaurant version was not safe :oops . Thankfully there was one shop in the airport that had some healthy choices but still limited. Fortunately I had packed enough food for our child with FA - and as we tell her, you'll survive on water just like on Survivor :pipe Finding that her favourite restaurant was not safe really bothered her so add emotions onto a snack meal and it wasn't good.

Since baked items are always a problem we bake ahead and bring muffins, scones, cookies etc. During the beginning of the trip those are only for our child with FA until we know we won't run out.

At Cinderella's Castle in Disneyworld my daughter was the only kid in the place who got french fries because of the caring chef. Most of the meal was unsafe so they went to another restaurant and got them for her. :thumbsup