You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:50 pm 

WHEW! I am so relieved today is over with. After many tears and much anxiety we did it, the first day of staggered entry for DS was today and it was AMAZING!!!! The school and school board really listened to me and I can't ask for anything more.

One concern I had had was substitute teachers. I asked if we could always have the same one but that didn't usually happen. I was told to day that the school board gave permission for DS's teacher to specifically ask for the same sub. to cover for her if she ever was to be away. :thumbsup

They also changed the way they eat snacks due to a few allergic kids in the same class so an EA will be assigned to DS's table just for snack time. :banana

The entire classroom and all the toys in the room had been cleaned and it showed. :thumbsup There are 27 kids out of 430 who have epipens, DS is the most severe case in the school but it is nice (but not nice) to know that the school is really taking allergies so seriously.
The best part, I got an auto phone message AND a huge notice came home today regarding NO FOOD for birthdays and about no peanut/tree nuts. Hey, I'll take 2 out of 5 allergens. The entire school is also going no food for rewards. ABOUT TIME and I really commend this step towards good health. I took the teacher 2 big boxes of stickers to help her have goodies on hand so they really do stick to this no food for rewards system.

Oh and Susan, this teacher doesn't believe in using food for crafts. :happydance :happydance
I'm sure situations may arise but the great communication we have going I hope will aid us in solving any issues which are a concern.

DS was SO excited and that made us feel so good. It also helps to know we've managed to keep our anxiety from him. It may only be day one but this was the biggest baby step I've ever taken in my life. Now, where's the wine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:11 pm 

Awesome news, BC. That's so great!

Our school still does food as rewards, food for birthdays are allowed, and food for class parties, but I had asked for nut, peanut free which they implemented, so I'm not going to fight the others. My kids won't eat any of the bday food or party food without checking with me first anyway.

The nurse trained all the staff on anaphylaxis and auto injectors today. In theory the secretary or principal trains subs, but I have to be on the alert on this one, esp if it's not the classroom teacher but the art teacher who is away. The classroom teacher I would notice dropping off, but I wouldn't notice the art teacher's sub. I'll have to make a point to check for any subs that will be taking my kids' classes on a daily basis!

I know new teachers are taught about anaphylaxis with first aid, but an older sub may not have been.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

BC2007, you are with the same schoolboard as I am. All substitute teachers are also given the training every year.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:20 pm 

:bouncygreen Very, very happy for your whole family BC! :bouncygreen Well done advocating for your son and great news that the whole school is skipping food as reward! It is about time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, and you don't have to get the Dr to sign the medication form if it is only for an auto-injector!
As per the OCCDSB’s Policy: Administering Medication-School Operations-Security/Safety section A, paragraph 3:
Quote:
In accordance with the Support Document for Anaphylaxis: Students with Life-Threatening Allergies, emergency use of an epinephrine auto-injector pen will be administered by trained staff if, in the opinion of the trained person, the student is experiencing an anaphylaxis shock. After emergency application of an epinephrine auto-injector pen, 911 will be notified immediately. A pre-authorized consent form is not required.

http://www.occdsb.on.ca/media.php?mid=51888

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:01 pm 

Quote:
A pre-authorized consent form is not required.
:x I had the forms signed in Jan., then found out a week ago that they aren't good for this school year so I bugged our dr. again to sign two more a few days ago (they needed one for ventolin and one for epipen).
Good to know Susan, thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:39 pm 

:happydance GREAT first day alone!!! (still on staggered entry)
DS left me without even looking back, took the teachers hand and lined up with no issues at all. DH and I went to the office for a quick interview with the vp as he arrived at the school since my meeting a few weeks ago. He is meeting for 5 min. with every ana. child's parents even if there has already been a meeting with teachers/principal etc.. He just went over all the paperwork issues quickly and assured me all was in order to keep DS safe.

DS drew a picture, said he got to wash his hands at a baby sink and said he had a great time with 'friends'. :huggy He listened and followed directions (amazing) and gave me the biggest hug after school. :D
The teachers aid was in the classroom the entire 2 1/2 hours and made sure he washed his hands/sat with his table at snack. The reason the school board has allowed an aid in the class is there are FIVE children with epipens out of 18 in his class alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DS has the most severe allergies (I believe he is the only one who has had multiple ana. reactions history, they said not all students had had an ana reaction ) BUT that doesn't mean other children's allergies aren't serious or couldn't become serious. Due to the fact many are still 3 years old or just 4 yrs the school board has allowed an aid to remain in the classroom for the full 2 1/2 hours all year.

Staff earned another huge hug from me today today as the staff let me know that another precautionary measure was set in place to keep the K room safe. The before/after school care facility attached to the school has also agreed (willingly) to go sesame 'aware' (safe) on top of the pn/tn ban already as part of the school building. Staff were concerned with children am and pm eating sesame products and then coming into DS' class with dirty hands. :banana

What is shocking is the vp showed us his mini photo list for himself of all ana. kids. It looks like a most wanted poster as there are now 34 children out of 430 which have epipens in our school, up from 20 last year!!!!!!!!!!!!
They said to expect people to try send in birthday foods as some parents ignore all phone messages/news letter BUT the school is adamant this year due to so many allergies/health that they will not let any food into the classrooms. :thumbsup

I helped in the office and the staff thanked me not just for helping but for staying as it put them at ease also knowing for now I was in the school. Many of these children haven't suffered reactions and/or don't have as extreme a history of reactions as DS especially as his ana. reactions have almost all been to trace amounts of his allergens. No problem, they would have had to physically removed me from the school as I'm not going anywhere for now.
The staff member in charge of all ana. students checked on DS several times and then came and reported back to me. I think they were all as anxious and relieved that the first day alone went so well.

I can't get over how lucky we are to have such a amazing school who are so willing to go above and beyond in every way possible.
Issues may arise but it does appear they are most open to make this a wonderful, safe school experience for DH, myself and for DS!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

:huggy I'm so happy for you!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:21 pm 

:huggy What a wonderful school! :happydance

Love the visual of the list of students with ana allergies.

You and your DH have done an incredible job since your son clearly is so comfortable at school. Well done!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:51 pm 

Great news BC. Glad everything is working out so well!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:01 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
The reason the school board has allowed an aid in the class is there are FIVE children with epipens out of 18 in his class alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is shocking is the vp showed us his mini photo list for himself of all ana. kids. It looks like a most wanted poster as there are now 34 children out of 430 which have epipens in our school, up from 20 last year!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow! Those numbers are something, aren't they? On the other hand, I'm glad they are taking things seriously and I guess those numbers probably have had something to do with that.
BC :huggy to you and yours :thumbsup

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:02 pm 

Now to get *ALL* schools on board with no food rewards, no birthday treats, etc. etc. and then all us allergy mom's could have a sigh of relief together. I know other schools in our same board which don't go so far above and beyond, I think we totally lucked out not just school board but specific school.
My wish on a star is for all allergic children to be able to be cared for in such an amazing manner!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:10 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
My wish on a star is for all allergic children to be able to be cared for in such an amazing manner!!!
Girly-o, don't cha know, if you're gonna wish....wish big. A cure for this whole allergy thing would be the biggest. :wink:

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:06 pm 

BC2007, How wonderful to hear of the wonderful beginning for your son. What a great job you and your husband have done with the school, and in preparing your son for school. It's so great to hear how much he is enjoying it! :huggy to you all!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:19 pm 

THANK YOU to all you allergy mom's and dad's who paved the way. Your efforts are what have allowed for so many to understand what it takes to keep our kids safe!! I can't even imagine what families dealt with even 5, 10 years ago.
To the allergy pioneer parents :thanksign !!!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next