You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Kids & Playdates...:(
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:07 pm 

DS (gr2) had a call from a classmate inviting him over 'anytime' and gave the address. I don't know the boy or the family, so I asked to speak to the mom. She sounded tired (confused? drunk??) and said 'yeah, he can come over if he wants to'. I explained that due to food allergies I like to stick around for a bit with new friends, and she wasn't welcoming. So I suggested that we meet at a local playground, and we headed over there but they were a no show. DS is kind of upset. I don't want to rain on his parade, but it didn't sit right with me at all. Not sure that it would have ben much different without the food issue.

What would you have done?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:01 am 

This is the one time when alllergies come in handy....keep inviting out to play or over to your house. My DD is out on a "playdate" in the city, overnite, with a friend....ok she's 17 and in grade 12.... :oops but really, I know her friends and this is one of the reasons why. And, I am amazed at what I have seen over the years.....go with your instinct :thumbsup There are a lot of different kinds of families out there. Set the tone now...it will pay off later. :huggy and so many people out there....it's ok to be choosey.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:58 am 

Becky I agree with aa trust your instincts. I was not dealing with allergies for my kids but I still was very protective. I wanted to know the other parents and their rules. I usually tried to have the friends over at our home. I have always tried to be the house they all come to. My kids are teens now and I still have the home they all come to. I like to know their friends and it does get harder when they get older so if you can set the bar now for your child they will know what is acceptable and what is not. I think when they are so young they are still learning that other homes do life differently and still need to learn what is good, bad or just indifferent. You did good. Mommy instincts were working. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:01 am 
Site Admin

If your son really likes this boy, invite him for a playdate at your house. This mom does not sound like someone I would want supervising my son.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb