You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:18 am 

I got a call mid morning saying DS had a reaction and epipen was given, and ambulance was on its way. I got there in time to ride with him to the hospital, and by the time we got there he was OK and it was just a lot of waiting around.

He had come in from recess hot and sweaty (it was cloduy but warm and humid today) after running around. He told his teacher he was thirsty and then she noticed he was scratching his head, face and neck a lot. There were hives forming all over his neck, his face was flushed, his nose was runny and his eyes were watering so the decision was made to administer the epipen.

I'm happy with the way it was dealt with at school, that they acted quickly and everything was done by the book. I'm concerned though, with not knowing what caused the reaction. The snack he ate was packed by me and there was nothing new in it (homemade muffin he had already eaten several of this week and orange sections). He had washed his hands prior to eating and then went outside. He didn't eat anything else. I was told he and some boys were playing with wood chips and may have been touching each others' faces. This or him touching an allergen outside then touching his face may have caused the reaction, but I don't know.

He told his teacher he was itchy because he was sweating from running outside. Just before he fell asleep tonight, he told me again that gets hives from being sweaty. I had noticed him scratching his head when hot, but never hives.

I think I will look into sweat induced uticaria. He has eczema so is often itchy in one area or another, and it's hard to tell. With previous hive reactions, it has always been easily attributed to a food.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:54 am 

:huggy
So sorry, I'm sure it was the phone call you were expecting but never really wanted. The school did great, you did great, sounds like your son handled the situation like a trooper also. Wonderful to hear the staff were observant and acted quickly!

If it turns out not to be sweat /heat induced any chance trace could have caused this.
Quote:
He had come in from recess
What about just cross contamination from other people using the playground say before/after school. I see many kids eating snacks that would never be allowed in our school be it AFTER school hours. Just families that come to play on the equipment. No rule they can't but :| !!!!!

Take time today to unwind and take some deep breaths. :huggy
:thumbsup To your school staff.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Just thinking the same as BC2007. Honestly, it could be anything but that fact that he gets itchy/hives when he's sweaty does make one wonder about another allergy. I'm sure you'll get good advice from your allergist.

While it is horrible to get "the call", it must be some comfort to know that you son's school is on the ball and responded appropiately. How could this be avoided in the future? It's really hard to say. Can you expect young boys to not touch each other? Probably not but perhaps a gentle reminder for all children not to touch each others faces or their own. This might be a good, basic public health message as we head into cold and flu season!

I'm glad your son's reaction was treated appropriately and quichly under control. These situations are scary for all involved but, the silver lining is that he will probably remember this enough to take his allergies seriously will into his teen years.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:25 am 

Relieved for you and your son that he is okay now and that it was handled well.

Agree with all of BC and Susan's comments :huggy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:12 am 

:huggy To you and your family. I'm so happy the school dealt with it so well. I"m sure thats not how your wanted to test their procedures but at least now you know they are on the ball. :thumbsup to the teacher who caught it.
HOpefully you are able to figure out what caused the reaction so that it can be prevented in the future.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:17 pm 

Thanks everyone. Yes, our school is great. The principals and teachers have been very supportive and there is a fantastic staff member there, who shall remain nameless, that is a wonderful advocate and source of info for the teachers.

We got a few emails and phone calls yesterday after parents hearing about an ambulance at the school! We are a small school, so people know one another.

I will go see the allergist to see if we can pinpoint anything about the sweat/itching/hives correlation.

BC, yes, good point about non school families using the playground. I have definitely seen some shells and wrappers in the playgground, although the shells could be attributed to squirrels, too.

Amd Susan, a reminder about not touching faces is a good idea. I still struggle to get both kids not to put fingers or pencils etc in mouths. . .