You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:15 pm 

Susan I can't find where we had a thread discussing this topic, feel free to move my post if you can find it.
GRRRRRRRRRR at Sobey's today AGAIN ,another product which has a peanut free logo but the ingredients list tree nuts. It is the compliments brand jumbo box of chocolate dipped granola bars. Sobey's and IGA are the same so be careful if you shop at IGA also.

I know that peanuts and tree nuts are not the same, I know to read all ingredients ..BUT as we've talked about before this is a recipe for disaster say at a daycare, with a relative etc.. If you go to the effort to make something peanut free WHY NOT also include tree nuts???????????? :banghead

If you can't find the other thread there were chocolate bars (the large fundraiser ones) which had the peanut free logo but had tree nuts in them. And the Laura Secord cox of individual packages of some kind of baked good (sold at Costco) which also had a peanut free logo but the ingredients list tree nuts. WE know they are not the same, the general population does not!!!!!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:22 pm 

I would be peeved at this as well. It's one thing if it's peanut free and may contain traces of tree nuts, but to actually have tree nuts in the ingredients means in 99% likelihood that it is a may contain for peanuts.

When dd was only allergic to peanuts and not TN, and before we knew about Ds, we would let her eat a 'may contain traces of TN' but never a product that actually had TN in ingredients. I would be calling the manufacturer about the fact they are advertising as peanut free when it's a may contain. Because doesn't the peanut free logo mean it doesn't have the chance to contain traces?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:41 pm 

I know a couple of us from this forum have written to Laura Secord. The ironic part is they have in about 1.5 mm print under the ingredients that tree nuts are not a peanut. Really, this is all they feel they need to clarify. So many stop at that peanut free logo as they already assume peanuts and tree nuts are the same. :x

The chocolate brand which actually had tree nuts in the ingredients I can't recall the brand now. At the time I had forgotten to write it down.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:45 pm 

World Famous makes chocolate covered almonds that are labelled with the 'peanut free' logo.

I think using the peanut-free logo on tree nut products is fine if people are better educated on the difference between tree nuts and peanuts. The problem is... most people don't have a clue.

I really have to sit on the fence with this one. We are very lucky to have this logo on peanut-free items to give those with peanut allergies clear identification that these items are safe. However, some people are still confusing peanuts and tree nuts and thinking something peanut-free must be safe for people with tree nut allergies. Why they think that in first place, I don't know... perhaps more education about the symbol (and/or peanuts vs. tree nuts) needs to be done so people understand that there's a difference.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:32 am 

What about the Peanut free logo that says Nut Free?!? Just saw that last night and am calling the manufacturer.

I read somewhere that they cannot test for the tree nuts and therefore cannot put it is Tree Nut Free like they can put Peanut Free.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:38 am 

spacecanada wrote:
However, some people are still confusing peanuts and tree nuts and thinking something peanut-free must be safe for people with tree nut allergies. Why they think that in first place, I don't know... perhaps more education about the symbol (and/or peanuts vs. tree nuts) needs to be done so people understand that there's a difference.

We get this frequently --- we have to make it very clear that she is allergic to Tree Nuts. And then list off all of the tree nuts to which she is allergic. Also, we have to explain that she is okay with peanut butter but not peanuts (due to cross contamination) plus explain cross-contamination. Oh, and then add in the 20+ fruits/veggies that depend on whether raw or cooked or how they are processed and it's no surprise we don't get invited to eat anywhere... :popcorn Re-reading this paragraph, I'm actually impressed that we DO have a few restaurants where we can safey eat and a few family/friends willing to do what is needed for her to safely eat.

Many people are on information overload and unless it pertains to their wellbeing or that of their own children they just won't retain the information. And others just don't care.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:45 am 

spacecanada wrote:
World Famous makes chocolate covered almonds that are labelled with the 'peanut free' logo.

This is a reminder on the "No Label, No Thank You" because someone with allergies (or their parent/knowledgeable caregiver) must read the label. Can you imagine a little kid who sees the Peanut Free logo and thinks that means Nut Free and then eats it :(

The teenager who died this summer in Georgia ate a cookie provided by a relative that he thought was safe but from the article I don't think he saw the label. :cry: