You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:35 am 

DS has been a mess the past week especially worse every time we go outside or have the door open. Super runny nose, sneezing, coughing. He does have multiple en. allergies but WHAT is bothering him right now? Leaves haven't fallen so no substantial extra mold, all pollen counts on the city site are low????????????????

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:24 pm 

Your pool little guy :( . It's hard to watch them when they are so uncomfortable. My husband and son have been a mess too... I was thinking it was ragweed??? Our son is still taking the Claritin kids every morning in his orange juice... I thought we'd be done with this by now. This is the first year he has taken any sort of allergy meds for his seasonal allergies and it has made a HUGE difference compared to last summer. I don't remember it going on this long last year (it was his first year suffering with seasonal allergies).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:25 pm 

When I lived in Ontario, I noticed lots of trees there that we don't have....I also notice that he is allergic to tree nuts.....so it makes me wonder....walnut trees?

When the rapeseed (canola -those beautiful yellow fields) are in bloom here, I sure know it and I don't have to see the fields.
Good luck with the Enviromental Scientist hat....and do make note of it in your yearly calender. Hopefully whatever it is, will be done soon.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:35 pm 

Mystery solved.
Quote:
Good luck with the Enviromental Scientist hat....and do make note of it in your yearly calender. Hopefully whatever it is, will be done soon.
:lol:

Quote:
Ganoderma High

After the pollen count (which were all low) I noticed the link for Ganoderma being high. When I clicked it it took me to a page explaining what it is and Ganoderma is a form of mold.
Darn mold.
From the Cities Pollen count site:
Quote:

Mould allergies are becoming more common and we are simply becoming more aware of their importance in allergic reactions. We know much more about pollen allergies than we do about mould allergies. There are thousands of fungal spores that are airborne and our understanding about them is currently quite small. But the medical community is learning more about the association between mould counts and their relationship with allergic reactions and asthma.

Whereas pollen grains reach counts in the hundreds in any one day, spores can reach over 40,000 in a day. Since moulds are found indoors and outdoors they are a problem all year. The problem for outdoor air, more so than indoor air, is isolating them and knowing which one is causing the allergy. The majority of moulds are ambient and probably do not cause any problems.

Some of the most common and better understood moulds include Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, Aternaria and Ganoderma to name a few. These represent only a few of the moulds that we have information about. As more information is available, allergy sufferers and doctors will be better able to understand and deal with the problems caused by aeroallergens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:05 am 

My son typically has bad reactions from mold. Usually itchy, watery eyes, stuffed up, and coughing. He hasn't been getting that this fall. But earlier this week I had to pick him up at school and I think it might have been a severe reaction.

they were cutting the grass in the neighbourhood, which usually gets the mold in the air. when I picked him up, he had a really sore stomach. walking hme, whenever we got under a tree with lots of leaves on the ground, he would double over and start choking/retching. Even though he had eaten, he had dry heaves. When we gat home, he lied on the floor, then rinsed his mouth, then I gave him some gravol. I figured it would help calm his stmach, and it is also an antihistamne so would help if it was a reaction. He slept for several hours. Woke up feeling better and hungry.

A flu does not pass that quickly, and I don't think food poisoning would either (and nothing suspect in what he ate).

This really scares me. I know his mold allergy is severe, but it's just not possible to avoid it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:48 am 

My daughter (allergic to mold, dust and tree pollen) has had itchy and sore ears lately. She had a flu bug so don't know if it was related to that.

We try to stay on top of the nasal rinse (neti-pot or similar) because really notice problems when that isn't done.

BC - for your son, it could also be that he is in school... Both my daughter and I have troubles once back at school. They are dusty and dirty buildings. There was one classroom in her old school that was nasty - she missed a lot of school the year she was in that room --- even had to get her Allergist to request that the ductwork be checked after dust bunnies dropping from the ceiling vents prompted a quick exit from the room by the whole class :banghead . My daughter is starting to research universities and perhaps she will have to look for a very clean one :pipe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:38 pm 

Quote:
BC - for your son, it could also be that he is in school..
. Why I never thought of this I have no idea. I would associate a Sept. cold with the start of school or asthma spike but the onslot of env. symtoms which are not easing up even today must be a combination of the mold/classroom. His teacher said he coughed a lot yesterday in class, today he had a mild rash in class (with still the horrible runny nose, watery eyes,sneezing etc. ). His symptoms get worse outside but I bet that combined with the classroom is like a double whammy.
Do your kids bodies adjust and become better with the classroom env. reactions through the year or do your kids suffer the symptoms all year?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:47 pm 

Watch how he does this weekend after a couple of days out of school.

We are both pretty much stuffed up much of the year :(