You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Bonjour!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:45 pm 

I was just wondering if my french speaking friends out there could help me. I do always like to keep doing something new an activity or class. This September I started French (using Rossetta Stone) using this program is all fine but you really are thrown right in. I do have a bit of a french back ground my parents both speak french. Growing up french was spoken in the home. (our western dialect) I have already come across words that we would have never used in our home. I think the english word was often used with a french accent :lol:
The one thing I have zero experience with is the reading and writing. My issue is the rules on some things. I am sure if I just knew if something was plural then.... or some other rule I could figure it out.
1. like a color how do I know when to use what spelling.
Le lait est blanc
La voiture est blanche.
Les voitures son blanches. I was thinking the "S" is for many.

Le velo est vert (sorry no accent)
L'herbe est verte
Les stylos sont verts
Les pommes sont vertes

Bleu, bleus. jaune, jaunes. noir, noire, noirs, noires :freak

New Language not easy. :confused :?
au revoir

Post subject: Re: Bonjour!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:10 pm 

I can help a bit!

The extra 'e' at the end is often found on feminine words. And the funny thing is that even objects can be feminine or masculine. So a feminine noun would have feminine verbs and pronouns associated with it. Same for masculine 'objects', though they tend to not have an 'e'. A little silly for those not used to gendered languages.

The extra 's' at the end is sometimes used for pluralisation, and sometimes used for various forms of words in different uses. I'm trying to remember what they call it in English, but when you use a verb to describe something happening to yourself, another person, or even a group of people, the endings on the word are different.
For instance:
I like = j'aime
You like = vous aimez (formal way of saying 'you')
They like = ils aimaint (masculine version of 'they')

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:10 pm 

Thank you spacecanada for your reply. It is so hard for this old brain to learn new tricks. :dungetit

I still can't seem to figure out if an object (car, apple, bike) is male or female??? :freak

This makes me feel like when I had started work at a business many years ago and I had asked "how do I know when I do the filing, what papers go to each business location"? My answer was "you will just know"! :abduct

I guess they say learning a new language is the best way to work your brain and keep it young.
:idea: My brain might go crazy but it will be young. :rofl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:22 am 

The whole male/female word thing is, as you said, 'something you just know'. French dictionaries will indicate m. or f. for gendered words if that helps any. And then there's Canadien (m), Canadienne (f), so the rules like to vary, much like English rules do with 'ie' vs. 'ei' and double consonants like Canadian traveller vs. American traveler.

Best of luck learning a new language. I hope to learn Danish and/or Swedish and become more fluent in French one of these days too... if only I had the time! Some day...

Have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:06 pm 

It's one of those things i struggle with as well. Spoken it my whole life, so I "know" pretty much if it's femenine or masculine, but that's just because I use and hear it all the time. Otherwise, it's one of those boring things you have to learn word by word.. German is the same, except instead of just masculine and feminine, they have a neutral gender as well.. go figure..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:21 pm 

You've already had some good responses. I'm not sure if I can add anything but I thought I would just explain the sentences you had posted.

Le lait est blanc (lait is masculin, singular)
La voiture est blanche. (voiture is feminine, singular)
Les voitures sont blanches. (voitures are feminine, plural)

Le velo est vert (vélo is masculin, singular)
L'herbe est verte (herbe is feminine, singular)
Les stylos sont verts (stylos are masculin, plural)
Les pommes sont vertes (pommes are feminine, plural)

There's no easy rule to learn what is masculin vs. feminine. You just have to memorize it. After awhile of speaking, you will know.... Also, there are some exceptions like jaune, which already has an e at the end so you wouldn't add another e.

Good luck and good for you!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:42 pm 

Thank you, Thank you ladies. I had posed the sentences to my mother and she said the same thing. I would say why?? She would say well it "sounds right" She can read, write and speak. I was thinking she just could not explain. :oops:
I guess I just need to keep memorizing. I play the speaking words in the car instead of music. :swing
So far I can understand not too bad (I am not very far in though) it is really the printed word that is my big problem. I can read a bit. But with a blank page still really lost if I have to write. I guess that is why they say learning a new language is good for brain function.

Not sure if all computer key boards are the same or if brand (mac/pc) make a difference but would anyone know if it is just a quick 1. 2. key stroke to switch keyboard to french and back??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:44 pm 

Keyboards:

There is a way in Windows to switch the keyboards. I have it set up that a little icon appears next to the clock in the bottom right corner. Right now it says EN for English and I can switch it to FR for français by holding Left ALT + Shift. (Or just clicking on the icon and switching it there. Apparently you can create a custom key combination to switch the keyboards too - fancy!)

On a Mac there are shortcuts for the accented letters. And then there's always the 'Special Characters' box you can open - all the shortcuts are listed in there. I'm not on my Mac right now so I cannot look them up. Hopefully someone here can get that to you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:51 pm 

Excellent that sounds good and quick will get that worked out asap. I am not on a mac so I don't need that information. Thanks :thanksign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:54 am 

I made this cheat sheet to know how to get the letters when I'm typing. To get one of the characters, hold down the Alt key and type the numbers in.

128 Ç 133 à 138 è 143 Å
129 ü 134 å 139 ï 144 É
130 é 135 ç 140 î 147 ô
131 â 136 ê 141 ì 148 ö
132 ä 137 ë 142 Ä 149 ò

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:03 pm 

Thank you Tina WOW how did you ever figure that out. So much computer stuff is just beyond me. I just took my lap top into the computer store today and he set up that keyboard looking icon on the front page so just one click and I have French... one more click and back to English. Now it does say "Canadian French" is that the same as France French??
Trying to soak it all up. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:15 am 
Site Admin

Hey! Great keyboard tips!!

I copied the tips and made a thread in the test section called Computer Language Font Keys. :damnedcomputer

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb