You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:01 pm 

So I picked some of these up, knowing that they only have the peanut free label and thinking I'd wait for the call back from the company but am STILL waiting a week and a half later. I actually spoke to someone who said she'd call me back with the answer. My son has PN, TN, sesame, chick pea and lentil allergies. Does anyone out there happen to know if these are safe? Perhaps someone else got a call back?

DS, 4, allergic to PN, TN, sesame, chick pea and lentil, EA, dog, cat, asthma
DS, 16 mo, former multiple food intolerances, asthma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:59 pm 

Hi Heathermum
I did a post about this (sorry don't know how to link it) Subject is :Quaker Chewy Granola Bar.
I did talk to someone and did not like what I heard. I did send a letter I never heard back from them. I would feel safe if it was just peanut but certainly not with TN or coconut allergies. I really should try calling them back again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:13 pm 

Is this it? viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6902

That search thing up top, right hand helps a lot to find things here.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:24 pm 

Our son used to eat the Quaker pn free logo chewy granola bars almost daily until he became so tired of them he won't even eat them anymore. We never had any issue. Now we stick to the Life Brand chocolate covered chewy granola bars from Shoppers Drug Mart (featured in the last Allergic Living magazine). They are not a nutritious snack but are a super treat.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:04 am 

Thanks everyone! It's good to know that your son didn't have a problem BC2007. We will probably try them at some point, hopefully after the phone call back and some reassurance about sesame but since you had success I might be willing to try them out. And I will look for the Life brand ones. And thanks for pointing out where the search engine is, Alberta Advocate! For the life of me, I couldn't find it! Paige, it sound like even when you did get an answer it wasn't very satisfactory! I had originally called about the mini rice cakes and then asked if they'd check on the granola bars too. Would be so nice to have either of those available for easy snacks!

Heather

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:21 pm 

Hope you are able to find lots of safe treats Heathermum. DS's allergies are all ana to even trace amounts (found out many times the hard way) so be sure to wait for you email but DS is like a guinue pig and if he is fine with something bets are it's safe (from his allergens only of course).

The mini rice cakes I've never tried. Would you mind posting if their response says they are safe (re sesame etc.) :thanksign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:53 pm 

Will do! If I ever hear! Knock wood, so far our reactions are just lots of hives so based on that and your poor DS being so sensitive I might try it. Not that I can count on it never being ana of course. Russian roulette anyone? Will call again before I try though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:17 pm 

So I called again after waiting two weeks and spoke to a man who told me that they are safe and that they would label for may contain if a risk of cross contamination existed. He said "the company is required to identify if it contains an item and if it came into contact even minimally they will write may contain". I clarified, "so if there is any risk for cross contamination they will be labelled?" and he said, "yes". Now, I didn't think companies had to label for may contain but perhaps Quaker is doing this voluntarily. He also told me if the mini rice crisps don't have a contain or may contain statement then they are safe for us, as well as any others of their products. I'm happy with the answer but curious if anyone else has ever heard anything different from them? We were just asking about PN,TN, sesame which are of course covered under the legislation. I'm writing a separate post about a similar response I got from Kraft Canada. I don't know why I can't trust answers, but I seem to want a confirmation! That said, I just gave a bar to my son. Will let you know if it was a bad idea but I'm pretty confident it will be OK esp. with BC2007's good history.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:36 pm 

I hope he likes them and is this opens up a new safe treat for your son.

I have found that names such as Quaker, Kelloggs ,Kraft, Campbells, Robin Hood (flour etc.) , Heinz, Betty Crocker, Christie, General Mills etc. (BIG names) really do label for all may contains. I used to call them for every new products but now I do trust these brand names with their labeling. That being said I don't trust most companies, but these I've named in particular I have never had any issue with or contradiction in what is labeled when I call for confirmation. This does not mean all products are safe...just that they do label accurately and all may contains are labeled.

Conagra foods http://www.conagrafoods.ca/en/index.html parent company of many big names such as Hunts, VH, Orville Redenbocker, Chef boyrdee (plus more listed on the link) are reliable with thier labeling also. I have called many times and ANY Conagra food product they ALL label for ALL top allergens/may contains. :thumbsup

Cake Mate sprinkes (pn/tn/sesame safe)...Clubhouse labels may Conatins.

Pilsbury (not all safe but good labeling)

Dempsters

Dare Products http://www.darefoods.com/Art/GFY-Peanut ... ntify.aspx All the brands they work under have good labeling. Not all safe for our son but they label may contains

E.D. Smith (jam, pumpkin etc.) label and are a pn/tn safe facility

Sun Maid raisins, the only pn/tn/sesame safe raisins I've ever found.

M&M stores have super labeling. Not only do they have a huge binder but they also label for all may contains. DS had eaten their pizza, and rosemary pull apart bread, baguettes. Desserts are almost all off limits but there is actually quite a few safe dishes. Just re-check every ind. package after checking the binder. Staff are very helpful and take all the time I need going through every thing.

If you are in Ontario/or Canada many of us buy and eat these with no issues.
BRIDOR Frozen ready to bake Baguettes AND Croissants
– found at Costoc in freezer section, croissants are frozen ready to bake. Croissants you need to leave out over night then bake. We sprinkle with shredded cheese before baking. Bridor DOES label for may contains, the baguettes are also milk safe (not the croissants). DS eats both these two products all the time as well as many families in our Cities Ana. support group.
: Made by BRIDOR INC, Boucherville Quebec.

McCorrmick spices are from a pn/tn safe facility but I do worry about sesame cross contamination as they do process sesame. I buy my spices all from Sobey's (their brand) and the facility is pn/tn/sesame safe.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:39 am 

You are a SAINT! Thank you so much for that list! We just moved back to Canada after being through the ringer with food allergies and food intolerances for a few years in the states. For a long time there we were avoiding almost EVERYTHING and finally worked our way back to just five allergens for one kid (LONG STORY) so in a sense I almost felt like things were easy believe it or not. But then we moved back to Canada and not all the brands I used are available and suddenly even the brands I knew and could get were made in different facilities and I couldn't trust that things were the same. Stress! So thank you, thank you, thank you for that list. Since our allergies are quite similar that is such a huge help!

Oh, and no problems with the granola bars!!! Yahoo! We're about to leave on a trip and they will be so great to pack along! Isn't it crazy when something like this can just make your day?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:43 am 

You are so welcome, Please post or PM me if you ever need any help navigating food products now that you are back in Canada....and....welcome home eh!!! :happydance

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:36 am 

I forgot to mention meat. We stick to Schneider's and Maple Leaf, luncheon meat/hot dogs. Again, I used to call but found no discrepancy in labeling so we now trust what is in the ingredients/may contains and go by the label as far as feeding DS.

I have found Superstore to be inconsistant in their labeling so I avoid their products. I know others of the forum have found them to be great, I really think it depends on the rep. you get to talk to etc. and that really affects ones overall opinion of a company/their products. So IMO I just don't buy their store brand but that is just my opinion.

The only store brand I buy is from Sobey's as I find their labeling to be excellent - all top allergens/and may contains. They have an orange exclamation mark on the back of their products where may contains and top allergens are listed (above being in the ingredients if in the product). So far after over 3 years we've never had an issue with a Sobey's product (same company as IGA so I would think they are similar). Other store brands might be good also but for where we shop etc. this is just my experience.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:57 pm 

Quote:
We're about to leave on a trip and they will be so great to pack along! Isn't it crazy when something like this can just make your day?
:happydance

I sent you a pm...you can click to read it where you log in/out to the forum.