Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Classmates-Ugh!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:38 am 
Site Admin

Well, dd came home and said that the teacher spoke with her and the student (who tried to blame someone else :roll: ) Then the teacher sent dd away and spoke to the boy and another student (the one he blamed and who is a good friend of dd).

This is the classroom teacher who has been a sub for 14 years (it allowed her to be home with her family) and who has a son with peanut allergies (now in university). I feel that she 'gets it'.

The boy is impulsive and lacks judgement. He hangs around dd and her friends rather than play with the boys. I suspect that he likes her on some level (OK-I might be biased, I think everyone likes her) and I don't think he realized that his actions could be a serious threat to her. I see him and his father at every school event (plays, BBQ, open house, movie night-we have 6-7 per school year) so I feel that his father is very much involved and he seems like a decent guy.

We'll have to let this play out. I would like more supervision. This week has a lot of indoor recess do to the wet weather, they are having recess monitors (class students responsible for tattling on the rest).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:41 am 
Site Admin

Walooet-I would have felt that that was odd too! Grade 8 is not to old or young to be targetted by pedophiles or those wanting to pull kids into the ** trade! Grade 8 is what...13? Isn't that the same age as Roman Polanski's victim? ...don't get me started on that! :verymad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:43 am 

I realized I'd missed something between messing with someones lunch and classroom supervision when I started reading re: pedophiles and Roman Polanksi . Having gone back a page

Quote:
afterwards I realized that not one adult questionned me riding up to the kids nor me giving a bag!
I totally agree Walooet. Even if you technically at their age are allowed on the school ground I would HOPE that even one adult would have given you a look or at least slowly started to walk towards you as if saying they saw you. I mean, in real life, if you weren't you the scenarios are endless as to what could have been going on...and as Susan said the kids are still just 13. :frightened
....and to say that
Quote:
a child with special needs should not be in the school - her wording was disgusting.
That is disgusting, technically she removed herself by making such a comment. To anyone, re any disability, religion, race, that is disgusting and unacceptable.

Susan I hope that was the last of the meddling with R's lunch. I have yet to make it through the next two years but I am thankful that our school does have teacher lunch supervision per classroom. DD's old school used gr. 6 kids and I was NOT thrilled even with her not having allergies. I'll order a round of more supervision all round please!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:26 am 

BC2007 wrote:
I'll order a round of more supervision all round please!!!

It is very difficult to get decent lunch supervisors. In our district they get paid about $14 for the lunch hour which is often 70 minutes (lunch hour is technically 55 but must be there early and usually have stragglers or discipline issues where need to talk with teacher/admin). Teachers really need a break to be effective teachers so I don't think they should be doing it. Same goes for EAs - not always feasible for a school to have extra EAs to do lunch hour coverage. At my school, the EAs in the special needs programs take half hour lunches and do paid supervision on the other half hour. Many like it because they get more $ but I found the rushed 30 mins wasn't enough to feel refreshed and ready to take on the afternoon when I worked with certain students.

Our parents complain that they have to pay for lunch supervision so good luck getting that wage raised. We have two grade 7 or 8s (age 11-13) in each K-5 classroom and then a paid adult supervisor covers 2-3 classrooms. It works pretty well. Each attendance folder has the details of students with food allergies and any classroom with such a student has ALLERGY ALERT posted on the classroom door.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

It's amazing that people balk at $14/hr to ensure their child's safety but would be willing to spend more than that on a haircut... :dungetit

Priorities people!

I also think teachers do a tremendous job and definately need their lunch period. You don't see me homeschooling because dd deserves teachers who are patient and not emotionally involved to the extent I am.

Re:
Quote:
a child with special needs should not be in the school - her wording was disgusting.

We learn so much more that just the 3R's in school. How to accept others and how their differences actually enrich our lives. Goodness, what kind of world do people like her want to live in? :frightened

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:53 pm 

Where we lived before (smaller town) everyone went to the same school (not many other choices) but that was one thing I noticed when we moved to a larger community. In the last while, inclusiveness has been one of the buzzwords here in the Alberta education system and there have been some changes taking place here.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:57 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
It's amazing that people balk at $14/hr to ensure their child's safety but would be willing to spend more than that on a haircut... :dungetit

Priorities people!

The cost is $70 per student for Lunch Supervision for the school year. The first year that my kids attended the school I did not understand why we had to pay or what it covered --- probably really took a few years til I got it and that was when I was doing the lunch supervision myself :swing