Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Calgary for a getaway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:19 am 

Anyone familiar with Calgary here?

I have to go to Calgary for an appointment and my husband is going to join me and we will have a long overdue weekend getaway...

My appointment is right downtown but it will be just one afternoon. Do you recommend staying downtown? Since we are not travelling with our kids we have a lot more flexability in dining and would like to walk to dinner. We're going mid-November and being from Winnipeg, the weather won't phase us :swing

Any help would be great!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:30 pm 

We live in Calgary so don't stay here at hotels but there is a new hotel downtown called the St. Germain (I think it's a chain). They have a restaurant in the hotel called Charcut and they were rated one of the top ten new restaurants by air canada's magazine and get rave reviews. It's listed as #2 restaurant out of 862 in Calgary on tripadvisor. I've eaten there a few times (we know the owners) and if you like meat, this is a great place. Do NOT go if you're vegetarian! But they are quite responsive to food restrictions. I was on a severely restrictive diet while breastfeeding my son and they made my meal in separate pans, etc. and were diligent about reassuring me there was no cross contact. Sounds like you don't have to deal with that this trip. Enjoy!

Aside from Charcut you could try Wildwood (Mission neighborhood), the River Cafe (expensive but beautiful setting on the island... you have to walk to it but can from downtown), Murietta's right downtown, Rouge in the neighborhood of Inglewood, and Bonterra (west of downtown I think, for what it's worth we saw Brad and Angelina there one night!). I've had really good meals at all places so depending on where you stay one might be handier than the others. Have fun!

As far as rambling around Inglewood, Mission and Kensington are all "hip" little communities (Kensington has a good pizza place called Pulcinella's).

Hoping someone else has input as I love to hear about other places I haven't tried/been to! Good luck!

DS, 4, allergic to PN, TN, sesame, chick pea and lentil, EA, dog, cat, asthma
DS, 16 mo, former multiple food intolerances, asthma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:03 pm 

Thank you!

I had looked at le Germain on Trip Advisor and it is fancier and more $ than we would normally spend but we'll consider it. Is it in a good location for walking? We will be there a from Wed to Sat or Sun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:26 pm 

Downtown has lots of restaraunts within walking distance. There is Stephen Ave (7th ave) with lots of good shopping and eating. If you want to walk a bit more there is Kensington and 17th avenue too. Lots of good eats both of those places too, all price points.

I work downtown, but bring my lunch. The King and I is one of my Favourite restaraunts, but a bit pricey too.

Have fun!

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:31 am 

Le Germain is right downtown, I think just next to the Calgary tower, so in a good location for walking I think, esp. to Stephen Avenue which is also a great place to shop/eat as Hiebs said (not sure why I didn't think of it!). I didn't know how it was price-wise as we don't stay here of course. I'm sure there are other hotels in that area though that are maybe better priced as they aren't so brand new? Just guessing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:04 am 

heathermum wrote:
Le Germain is right downtown, I think just next to the Calgary tower, so in a good location for walking I think, esp. to Stephen Avenue which is also a great place to shop/eat as Hiebs said (not sure why I didn't think of it!). I didn't know how it was price-wise as we don't stay here of course. I'm sure there are other hotels in that area though that are maybe better priced as they aren't so brand new? Just guessing.

Average for the 4 nights (Wed to Sat) is well over $200. It is $325 the first 2 nights then $199 on the weekend. I don't think we have ever paid over $200. But we also haven't spent a weekend without the kids in 10 years!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:02 am 

Thank you Heather and Hiebs!

We are now looking at 1 night in Calgary and 3 nights in Banff or Canmore - we are checking VRBO for a rental condo. I really miss the mountains so it seems crazy for us to go out there and just stay in Calgary...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:51 am 
Site Admin

When we stayed in Banff, years ago, we stayed here: http://www.bestofbanff.com/rundle-manor/index.html
The suites were basic, clean and it came with a kitchen. If you go that way, purchase your groceries in Calgary because it's pricey in Banff but there is a Safeway store.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:29 pm 

Can't say much about what to see and do in Calgary, or where to stay, as I don't live there and only go to visit family and friends. However, I can recommend a super awesome restaurant called Q Haute Cuisine http://www.qhautecuisine.com/
They will accommodate allergies and special diets with advance notice. :)
Best restaurant I have ever been to. Ever. Hands down. By far.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:52 am 

spacecanada wrote:
Can't say much about what to see and do in Calgary, or where to stay, as I don't live there and only go to visit family and friends. However, I can recommend a super awesome restaurant called Q Haute Cuisine http://www.qhautecuisine.com/
They will accommodate allergies and special diets with advance notice. :)
Best restaurant I have ever been to. Ever. Hands down. By far.

Wow, spacecanada - you nailed it! Great menu, by a park (love the post-meal walk), only 2kms from my appointment and the building looks cool :happydance We can do a test run for our family trip next summer.

Susan - thanks for the Manor info --- since it is low season, there are some gorgeous condos available for good prices through vrbo.com and homeaway.com. I'm contacting some where their living room window is a full view of the Rockies (couldn't find a Sighing emoticon...). We think we will stay in Canmore --- I have family in Banff and we want to have this weekend just the two of us. Next summer when we go out with the kids we'll visit family too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:22 pm 

No tips...just wanted to say have a WONDERFUL trip! What a BEAUTIFUL place to go to (Banff/Canmore). :banana

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:59 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
No tips...just wanted to say have a WONDERFUL trip! What a BEAUTIFUL place to go to (Banff/Canmore). :banana

:thanksign BC! We are fortunate that we can add a few days onto the one for my appointment (not a welcome one as it is with the US government :evil: ). We have found a nice VRBO condo - 1300 square feet, corner unit overlooking a nature area and the Three Sisters mountains. :banana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:28 pm 

Let us know how your trip goes/went! We're back in Calgary after a three year stint in the US and I'm American dealing with one Canadian born and one US born child so I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN about dealing with the government. Hang in there. After MUCH MUCH aggravation things usually get worked out! And most of all enjoy the no kids vacation!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:14 am 

:cry: Due to a health issue in my family, we won't be able to do the Canmore vacation. I will still go to Calgary for my appointment but will just stay downtown one night. Would have been fun but somehow I think our getaway is jinxed as this past spring we had to cancel a getaway too. At least I found a great condo for another time: http://www.vrbo.com/15925 - more pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10284007@N ... 27/detail/

Thank you to all of you for your ideas! :huggy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:51 pm 

Thankfully my husband may be able to join me on my trip to Calgary --- if our child has a relapse he will just stay home. The only 'nice' hotel we could get for below $400 a night was Delta Bow Valley --- got a pre-paid rate through CAA for much lower than anywhere else --- $189 instead of $300+! One of our nights is really popular as Fairmont etc are sold out.

I looked at the Q'Haute Cuisine menu again and didn't like it as much so will check closer to the date. We booked Teatro for our first night - used OpenTable which has all the information needed other than "Allergy Aware" :pipe .

Thank you to all of you for your help! I really hope that my husband can join me because I could use the support :huggy because I am going to the US Consulate to renounce (give up) my US citizenship...