You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:41 pm 

Recently my food allergies have become a nightmare. I am anaphylactic to fish/shellfish and flax. After an allergy attack (breathing issues,swelling text book signs) I bet millions of blisters that make me look like I'm burnt so not fun. The last 2 months I have developed breathing issues, figuring it's allergy season just taking puffers. The last 2 weeks every time I eat I choke and wheeze really bad. I have decided to take out what I had a pos test result yet never affected by it yet foods. That being wheat,corn were a pos on a scratch test. I am feeling better but every time I accidently consume these I get really sick, walnuts are now added to the culprits. Will they go away or are they here to stay?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Some allergies can be out grown. These typically are eggs and milk, when developed early in life. I personally don't know of anyone outgrowing allergies that they developed as an adult (adult onset allergies).
Have you seena Dr about your breathing issues? Asthma and allergies are related. Sorry I'm not giving you any happy news!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:31 am 

Sorry to hear about your allergies.

In 2009 is when all my allergies started to go crazy. The 1st allergist I saw, who was a complete moron, told me "oh, they will just go away". After repeated emergency visits to the hospital and eventually getting an epi-pen I managed to switch allergists and FINALLY saw a good one.

I'm sure you probably already know this, but the only real way to see if they will "go away" is to isolate your foods. Keep food logs/diaries of foods and the ingredients of where it comes from.

I'm not suggesting to eat more shell fish but have you ever tried eating USDA organic, i.e. unprocessed/fresh shellfish/fresh seafood? My allergists motto is "Fresh Is Best".

Also, something to consider, especially if you have a latex allergy is if the fish was handled with latex or latex free gloves. Or if no gloves were used at all perhaps whatever they touched could also effect how you react.

Again, I know most people who live with allergies know this but sometimes its a friendly reminder as some stores, including grocery stores continue to latex gloves instead of latex free gloves.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:36 am 

shellfish and fish and are here to stay(organic or otherwise) as I have had quite a few horrible reactions, it's my current wheat/corn/walnuts I'm concerned about. I have eliminated them and am feeling better but if i eat them hidden I get a reaction. I had a bit of topping off a pizza but not the crust, bad idea it sent me into a reaction with in mins. It's super hard to remember my new allergies wheat/corn/walnuts are in a lot of foods. I see the Dr tomorrow so lets hope he can help though most likely he will just tell me not to eat the offending food.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Wheat can be in mascara! :frightened
It's easy to get blindsided by allergies.

It does get easier once you find your basics and can research new products to add to your shopping basket. Accessing support groups such as this has been essential for me. Ask questions and you will get suggestions for products or strategies to cope with your issues.

When you find yourself offering advice, you start to realise that you do have a handle on the allergies and they are not running your life.

Good luck with the appt tomorrow, can you ask for a referral to a respirologist? Breathing is important to your health!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:13 pm 

Someone on this list is extremely knowledgeable about Corn Allergies. I forget who. :roll: Sorry! She could tell you where she shops, what she buys too.

Usually with a corn allergy, Organic is best for everything as its less likely to be cross-contaminated with corn.

Cheese: I'm not aware of any cheese that is for sure not cross-contaminated with corn. I'm curious to know.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

Eldi is amazingly knowledgeable on corn allergies! :thumbsup