You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:32 pm 

Our school - due to increasing student enrollment in the lunch program - will start having the children eating in their classrooms on a rotating basis (meaning grade 1 will eat in 1D for 2 weeks, then move to 2F for the next 2 weeks, then back to 1D). I just had an hour long conversation with our vice principal regarding my concerns with eating in the classrooms (grade one son is allergic to peanuts, eggs, sesame and kiwi...grade 4 son is allergic to eggs & dairy - all are ana...). While I appreciate the efforts the school is making, I was really hoping that she would move the kids to eat in the OTHER classrooms and keep their classrooms food free. I can only picture the crumbly mess on the CARPETED floor in the grade 1 class and how those crumbs will get tracked to the meeting area where the kids spent quite a bit of time. My stomach is in knots and I feel like I'm going to throw-up just thinking about the children in general eating in the classroom. my son will eat there too, but it is the cross-contamination issues that scare me the most. The plan is that she (the VP) will watch the class on Monday to see how it goes and decide from there whether they will move to eat in only one class. Well, my guess is that with the VP in the class the students will stay in their seats nicely etc...but what about when it is the regular lunch lady?

Not sure I have a question here, but if any one has any suggestions on how to convince them not to eat in the classrooms or other encouragement I'd sure appreciate it at this time.

Thanks,

Benjamin - ana to peanut, egg, sesame & kiwi, asthma, eczema
Mattea - outgrew FPIES to a host of things!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:54 am 

hi-dont have any advice sorry....fwiw our school has all meals in the classrooms and we have no issues-my son is at risk of anphylaxis to peanut, tree nut, barley, sunflower and pineapple...so for him its almost in every food that someone may have for lunch. The kids eat at the table which are wiped down afterwards-we have no problems with this and no issues. (we dont have any food bans-just washing hands and no food sharing). They have carpet in all the classrooms.
cheers
and good luck (we are in australia)

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:07 am 
Site Admin

Our school has no lunchroom so the kids always eat in their own classroom. Our school is peanut butter-free , peanuts and tree nuts 'banned'. The students eat for the first portion of lunch and then they go outside for recess and the custodian wipes down all of the desks.

We have not had any issues with reactions at school, but then dd is very careful.

Carpets? :freak That's just gross! How ooften are those things cleaned?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:42 am 

At our school, there is a student with such a list of allergies that the student does not eat at school but the school still has many precautions for the student.

All students eat in their classroom. At the end of lunch, two students from each class collect all of the garbage from lunch and then take it to a big garbage can in the hallway. The custodian then empties that big garbage can while the students are outside at recess. Even though that student does not eat at the school, the specific allergens are not allowed in the classroom.

An accommodation for your children could be for the custodian to vacuum the classroom - particularly the grade 1 classroom - after the kids have eaten. Grade 4s don't usually sit on the floor often.

I wish the desks were cleaned regularly but they are not!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:28 pm 

Our school is pn/tn free (AWARE!!!) but that still means most of DS's allergens are in the classroom. All kids eat in the classrooms, teacher supervision/desks wiped/cleaned. Doesn't mean I'm comfortable, I still freak out but as far as DS goes in particular the are being super careful so fingers crossed this continues.

Kimjoy, Allergies aside rotating classrooms seems to me to be more work, would cause confusion and be more time consuming. :scratchy Hard for kids with allergies as there isn't a standard routine, desk, etc. to eat at as they are always on the move. And UG...I agree, carpet. :oops:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish