Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Quebec revisited
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:50 pm 

Hi, everyone!

A few years ago, we discussed the possibility of creating a policy similar to 'Sabrina's Law' in Quebec. Several members here, including myself, as well as KDuFour, were in touch with the government and/or the AQAA in order to determine existing policy. As things stand, at this point, allergy management policy is handled by school nurses on an individual school basis. If anyone has more current information about this, please let me know at anaphylaxismtl@yahoo.ca

As a support group leader, I've had many concerns and complaints expressed to me due to the non-centralized nature of this allergy policy, and I would very much like to get a working group of Quebecers together to lobby the Quebec government to consider instituting a law following the model of 'Sabrina's Law' in Ontario. If you know of others who are already in the process of such a lobbying effort, please let me know, and I will simply lend my efforts to theirs. If not, I would like to get such an initiative off the ground.

As a side-note, thanks to the generosity of Anaphylaxis Canada and ScotiaBank, the Montreal Anaphylaxis Support Group will be instituting an online community in 2012 to forge more frequent interaction between members, and to attract new members. :swing Online meetings will also take place. One of the forums will be related to Montreal and Quebec allergy advocacy and policy.

If you're a Quebecer and are interested in creating a working group to attempt to effect the above, please contact me via e-mail. (I rarely check my PMs here.)

Best,

Andrea
Leader, Montreal Anaphylaxis Support Group

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Quebec revisited
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Would you like me to post this on our Facebook page?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:33 pm 

Yes please, Susan! That's very kind of you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:05 pm 

I wish you you the best of luck Andrea. If there is anything we can do to help please let us know. I personally think it is CRAZY that every province hasn't adapted Sabrina's law.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:51 pm 

I don't know what I can do to help, but if there is anything I can do to help, I am willing. My children are not school aged yet, but we will be diving into that territory soon, and am always willing to lend a helping hand.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:01 pm 

Thank you, thank you! Any help would be great. In fact, I've been contacted by several people regarding this initiative, and one is already beginning advocacy work. I may jump on board there, and I'm sure you'd be welcome to join us. The more voices to advocate and create new policy, the better. I'll PM you with my e-mail address.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:30 pm 

I have no idea what to do....but I make a lot of energy here (excuse the pun) and will basically keep doing what I do until they get tired of me.

I do get very upset though, about the amount of time and energy and money to pay all these people to get things changed....you know province to province, division by division....many wages in many differents levels of administration. Is this what it took to get carseats manditory? It seems to me that there should be some things that are just the right when it comes to the safety of our kids.

With the amount of kids in schools these days with this condition and that number rising :dungetit It is mandatory for students here to know CPR before they graduate :goodidea The whole safety thing in schools makes me crazy :verymad

Let me know what I can do to help. Would you like a copy of some correspondence, Andrea? Maybe I should contribute a little to your project?

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:23 pm 

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:24 pm 

Hi, everyone!

Since this posting is left hanging open-ended here, I thought I'd mention that while I'm still receiving e-mail and phone calls regarding my initiatives to lobby the government for an allergy law, I'm now fully devoting my efforts to the current Allergic Living campaign to protect allergic students in Quebec, and I encourage everyone to get behind the campaign. It is far more likely to be successful due to sheer numbers and a fabulous, committed team at the helm. I'm honoured and excited to be among them, and finally feel some momentum happening in Quebec.

What Gwen has accomplished here exceeds my wildest expectations for what was possible with respect to a Quebec and Canadian response to lobbying for a Quebec law.

As an allergic adult who was formerly a student in Quebec (and frequently in the emergency room with anaphylaxis, with some close calls and several resuscitations), I can only pray that this will finally convince the powers that be to institute a law. To everyone who has contacted me about this, thank you so much! Action is being taken.

You can write your letter to the Quebec government ministries here, and please share the link widely, on Facebook, Twitter, and to anyone you may know in the media: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... in-quebec/

To avoid confusion or dilution of effort, if you'd like to comment on matters related to allergy advocacy for students in Quebec, please see viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7273 Thanks!