You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Am I Going Crazy?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:05 am 

I have a question for fellow allergy suffers.

Lately I've noticed my hands are swelling up, sometimes because I simply touched something, like a door handle, elevator button and other simple things. My hands are swelling up, hives and I'm finding I'm having to take Benedryll more often simply because I think lots of people touching a door handle is coming into contact with something I'm reacting to.

Besides trying to get others to open the door and using my house keys to push elevator buttons, am I the only one who goes through this, or am I going crazy?

I seem to notice the hand that gets the reaction, i.e. double its size, itchy, hives, etc is the one that touched/opened the door.

As I'm typing this message my right hand is still almost double its size simply from touching whatever was on a door handle/elevator button yesterday. I really don't want to wear gloves and look like Michael Jackson, but this is getting ridiculous!

I also know it wasn't a new food item, trust me, with all the foods I cannot eat I make sure I stay away from them for obvious reasons.

Does anyone else experience this? Any suggestions?

P.S. - I took 50 mg of Benedryll last night and my hand is still quite enlarged, red and itchy. :banghead

Post subject: Re: Am I Going Crazy?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:32 pm 

This is probably an obvious question, because it sounds like you are very aware, but are you using a new hand cream or anything? My friend's daughter had a very similar reaction to bug spray, and her hands were swollen for quite a few days. Is there anything new in your life that you can think of? New laundry detergent, new dish washing soap, anything like that? New carpeting, new sofa, new car? There was a woman at work that reacted to the new carpeting she had in her office, and even though she was wearing shoes, her feet and legs swelled tremendously. She was so uncomfortable that she ended up walking barefoot in the office (it was summertime) which made it even worse!! Is there anything new in your life that could be the problem??

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:48 am 

No, that's the problem. I swear, I haven't introduced) is the sudden weather change.

Other than that I'm very careful of introducing new things in my life/diet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:45 am 

What are your allergies? Could it be the hand sanitizers that everyone is using now? I have major problems with hand sanitizers because they are made from corn alcohol and I am extremely allergic to corn and corn derivatives.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:44 am 

I'm allergic to bad food additives and preservatives and a whole list of other common food items like olives, apples, etc...

Something else that is driving me insane is yesterday when I woke up my right eye was so swollen it was almost shut and EXTREMELY puffy. I used Opticrom eye drops and some of the swelling went down many hours later.

Well I just woke up and my right eye is swollen again.

I've been tested before and my allergist says these types of reaction to my eye are related to weather changes and/or the amount of dust in my room.

To answer your question, I don't use hand sanitizers as I find the smell bothers me. The only thing I use is a hand cream by Badgers that I use only when I have itchy skin/rashes from hives to get rid of itch and it works pretty well, but I know its not it, I don't use it that often, only on mild reactions.

I really am at a loss what to do. The worst part is I can only see my allergist ONCE a year as they told me OHIP (Canada Health Care) only covers 1 visit per year as every other visit OHIP won't pay the doctors for.

The last rant I have is what makes the skin test so hard for me to do is I am suppose to not take any allergy medication for 4 days before the test, yet I react at least once or twice a week and the nurse who did the test said my testsing was not 100% accurate yet it's impossible for me not to take Benedryll as even if I watch what I eat I am reacting to others things besides food.

I know this is a lot to consider but again I feel like I'm losing my mind, as well as my pocket book as I go through Benedryll quite quickly and only 1 time I had to use my epi-pen, but every time I feel like my throat is closing up I rush myself to emergency by taxi so they can give me the Epinephrine since a pen costs me $100.00 plus tax for each pen since I don't have a drug plan.

:(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:21 am 

That is really difficult.

For the antihistamine - does your doctor prescribe it? Sometimes it can be covered by other plans or at least it may not have one of the taxes that way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:31 am 

No, I buy Benedryll at Costco, I think its 120 pills for roughly 18 bucks with taxes.

I usually have 50 mg, 2 pills depending upon how bad the reaction is, more if its really bad.

The only drug I get prescribed is Prednisone for when my lips swell up, and thankfully those pills cost VERY CHEAP. I think I get roughly 6 to 8 pills for $4.00 at Costco including taxes.

I just wish Benedryll was that cheap, but at least I live in Canada (no offense) as I saw how much it costs in Bufflo/US and realized why a lot of Americans complain about drug prices.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:38 pm 

I was thinking that whoever touched the elevator buttons, etc. may have used a hand sanitizer and then you touched it. Some residue will stay behind if they have just used it on their hands.

Your mention of eye drops brought back horrific memories of all of the trouble I had with my eyes about 20+ years ago. These problems all stemmed from my corn allergy and me unknowingly eating and being exposed to things that had corny derivatives in them. I would also wake up with swollen, red, painful eyes and eyelids.

I think I saw your rather lengthy list of allergies on another thread. I am also extremely sensitive to food additives and preservatives (as well many of the things that you list) because of my corn allergy. Have you had a chance to look at the corn allergy thread? Many foods are treated with, washed with or sprayed with corny stuff. Check it out and see if there is any connection with what you are experiencing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:34 am 
Site Admin

Sources of Financial Aide for Prescriptions/Devices
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5363
http://www.rxassist.org/pap-info/compan ... ?CmpId=245

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:15 am 

Just an idea:
Wear a protective mask that filters out 99.99% of all allergens.
Wear protective gloves as all times.

Try this for two weeks to see if you stop reacting long enough to be able to take the allergen test.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:51 am 
Site Admin

I don't think you're crazy but the fear of reactions, intense discomfort and isolation might make you seel anxious! It could be hand sanitizer or moisturizers really all manner of things!

Now that the cold weather is upon us, find some nice comfortable gloves and wear them indoors and out! Maybe we should think about bringing back the glove as a fashion statement!
Another option is to wear extra long sleaves and use them. These are much easier choices for women than men

...it's not easy for the guys in our group!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb