You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:58 pm 

I had a reaction to something I ate a few weeks back. It was accompanied by intense GI symptoms. The doctor said it was hives and I was put on prednisone. She also suggested I cut wheat for a few weeks and see how I feel because the rash looked like something she had seen in patients with gluten problems. After spending one post-pasta & bread evening in intense pain, I thought she might have a valid point.

I have been GF for just over a week, and today I sat down to feed my LO some oatmeal. It was early, I'd been up all night, and without thinking about it, I shared the entire bowl with him. Within 10 minutes, I felt a general sense of unease and nausea. That was when my mind said, "OH CRAP!" and I ran to check the label. My stomach has been churning ever since.

I know there isn't a typical case, but how long does it take for your symptoms to show up? I am feeling a little mental, like I am creating symptoms where they don't exist :oops:

I am not a stranger to food allergies. I am allergic to several things and my DS is allergic to dairy while my DD is dairy intolerant. I just feel so silly about this...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

Generally most allergic reactions occur within minutes up to a few hours after exposure.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:04 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Generally most allergic reactions occur within minutes up to a few hours after exposure.

Even GI upset? What about with Celiacs? I know that it is Autoimmune, so is it a relatively immediate reaction, or is it something that you have to wit for the gluten to get into your blood stream?

I guess I am just confused and searching for answers :confused

I've never had these types of reactions before. I usually get hives that appear within 10 minutes and last a few hours or benadryl takes care of them and they start within minutes of eating or touching the offending substance. This time around, the rash/hives lasted 2 days on diphenhydramine before I went to see a doctor and an additional 48hours after starting the corticosteroid. And then there was all the icky GI problems too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:51 am 

pucaandpixie wrote:
She also suggested I cut wheat for a few weeks and see how I feel .............
I have been GF for just over a week..

Gluten free or wheat free?? (very different as you can obviously eat other sources of gluten if you are just wheat free)

Any way-with reactions I ve had in the past Ive had itching throat and immediate diarrhoea/abdominal pain (within probably 10-15 minutes)-that was something I am IgE allergic to.

My sil who has coeliac disease (gluten autoimmune) will get abdo symptoms within an hour of eating gluten.

May be you need some blood test screening for cd (but you have to be consuming gluten for them to be accurate-they dont diagnose coeliac disease but may give you reason to have a gastroscope to confirm the diagnosis if they are positive for the coeliac antibodies). Otherwise what about some spt/rast to check for wheat sensitisation??

cheers

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:33 pm 

DH's symptoms come anywhere from 10 min to 2 hours after eating gluten and they are severe. Before he discovered it he had mild GI symptoms, scratchy throat, headaches and was tired all the time. You do need to be eating gluten for both the screening test and biopsy. My SIL was not diagnosed because she went GF too early and got violently ill when she started eating it again.

Getting screened is a simple blood test, if you can handle a piece of toast every day for a couple of weeks. Also make sure that you arm yourself with the basic information about CD for the AL website when you ask for the test!

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma