You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm 

Hi All.

Not sure where to put this topic but here it goes.

I'm allergic to many things, mostly food related including bad food additives and preservatives.

In fact I'm having a bad reaction as I'm typing this message, and curious to get an opinion on this.

Sometimes, (like right now) my lips swell up quite badly. I normally take 50 mg of Benedryll and 50 mg of Prednisone as anything lower does nothing to me.

I'm running extremely low on Prednisone. My problem is my allergist who prescribed it takes 3 months or more to be seen. My family doctor, who I've only seen twice in my life is impossible to see and trust me, I've tried many times to get a different family doctor in Toronto but no luck.

Is there anyone out there who uses Prednisone? If yes, how much do you get prescribed? I ask because they only give me roughly 5 to 6 pills per prescription.

Now I know about how bad it is to constantly take Prednisone as my allergist warned me not to take it that often, but I can't constantly keep going to see the doctor just so I can have enough Prednisone.

If I go to a walk-in clinic do you think if I bring all my hospital records, epi-pen and my last remaining Prednisone tablets, you think they will give me more than 6 pills?

I remember asking my allergist how long Prednisone lasts before going bad and she said at least a year. Does anyone know this for sure?

Any help or opinion on this would help me a great deal.

Thank you for listening. :thanksign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:52 am 
Site Admin

Call the order into the pharmacy and have them fax a request for refill to the prescribing Dr. They have a form for this. You can call the allergist and make sure they received and requested a refill. If you aren't going for a full SPT, they can often squeeze you in. If you want to be sure, turn up at the office with a book and let them know you intend to wait until they have a brief moment to see you.

Bring pushy pays off. :D

You can always affect a hacking cough, if necessary... :popcorn

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:17 am 

Thanks for the advice.

I will try giving them a call later today.

"full SPT" What is SPT?

If the phone call doesn't work there is a new walk-in clinc 5 minutes away from my house. If he or she will do it, then problem solved. If not I only wasted maybe 20 minutes of my time.

The major question I kinda still have though is if anyone on this forum takes Prednisone for lip swelling, and if yes, how many pills have you ever been subscribed? My goal is to try and get more than 6 pills so I don't have to constantly bug them for it.

anyway, will try both methods and report back how it went.

As a by the way, I don't know if I'm going insane or not, but I think I reacted to Oatmeal. It's the only new thing I added to my diet yesterday and I had it before Quaker Brand about a month ago and had a mild reaction. I then tried last night a USDA organic Oatmeal from Scotland and my lips are still swollen/puffed up from only 10 minutes from eating it.

Anyone else heard of being allergic to Oatmeal?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:19 am 
Site Admin

SPT-Skin Prick Test this takes some time so I can see the allergist not being able to book you in at the last minute but for a consultation or simply to refill a Rx...that should be fairly quick.

My daughter reacts with hives to contact exposure of her allergens. She is only prescribed a course of prednisone after an anaphylaxis reaction. We use it for a few days and then stop.

I am personally not familiar with long term use of prednisone for allergies. But hey, I'm just a mom.

I would not be surprised to hear of an oatmeal allergy. Nothing surprises me anymore... :freak
Quote:
Cereals: Bamboo Shoots; Barley; Barley, Malt; Bran (wheat); Cane sugar; Cane Molasses; Chestnut, Water; Chestnut, Ling nut; Chestnut, Singhara nut; Corn ; Corn Meal ; Corn Starch ; Corn Oil ; Corn Sugar; Corn syrup; Corn dextrose; Corn glucose ; Corn cerelose; Farina (wheat); Graham flour (wheat) ; Gluten flour (wheat) ; Millet; Patent Flour (wheat); Oats; Pumpernickel; Rice; Rye; Sorghum; Wheat; Wheat flour; Wheat Germ; Wheat (whole) flour; Wild Rice.

http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/E ... anical.htm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:39 am 

Quote:
Nothing surprises me anymore...

:lol: I know what you mean.

Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:26 pm 

So my walk-in method worked.

When I showed the doctor all my hospital records from all my emergency visits due to allergies he started to realize my problem.

The funny part is another reason I think I got the results I wanted was the doctor was COVERED in hives all over his hands. I almost wanted to give HIM the prescription. :rofl

The sad part is I tried to ask if he would be my family doctor but he said he was moving to a different area very far away from where I live, but I tired.

Another thing funny is he gave me a little too many pills!!! 30 to be exact. I told him I'd be happy with just 12 pills. I also read on the internet apparently Prednisone's shelf life is 1 to 2 years depending if its stored well out of direct sunlight.

I tried asking the doctor how long Prednisone lasts but he said he didn't know. At least he was honest...I guess?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:26 pm 

You can have the pharmacy only fill a portion of the prescription, so you only have 4 or 5 tablets at a time. That way, you can go back to get more and they will be fresh. :) The prescription could expire in 18 months though... but at least you could get the last few tablets filled before then and they will last another 1-2 years.

As for continuous Prednisone use, I know it has implications on children (growth and development) but I don't know about adults. I've only had it after serious asthma attacks and anaphylaxis reactions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:59 pm 

Thanks, I'll try asking to fill only part of the prescription.

I only need maybe 12 pills anyway.

And yes, Prednisone should only be taken in emergencies but for me, Benedryll doesn't bring my lip swelling down. Because I had a pill of Prednisone,after an hour and a half the swelling stopped. Otherwise I would have ended up in Emergency.