You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:59 pm 

Shairose wrote:
I asked everyone who was gathered around to please be mindful of not touching with their hands other finger foods that were there after eating the peanut brittle, simply because I was trying to avoid any possibility of cross contamination.

Um....taking care to avoid cross contamination is pretty basic when it comes to allergy management. It is discouraging that you would have gotten that response from a *doctor*. But I'm not too surprised---I have a feeling that doctors in general might not know all that much about allergies. It is something that everyone who goes to medical school should have to know about---I'm sure they know about the physiology of allergy in a general way, but they might not realize the severity of it. (I personally know one doctor who didn't know that someone reacting to nuts should be transported immediately to the hospital. The issue came up about 15 years ago.)

I am really surprised though that your colleagues would not be more accomodating when it comes to allergies in the workplace....in a hospital of all places! I don't know whether we are going to see nut bans although it would be nice....but I strongly feel that allergenic food should just be eaten in the cafeteria or in designated break rooms. And all employees should wash up before returning to work. In the not too distant past it would have been seen as rude and unprofessional to eat in front of other people especially at work. I'd like to see a return to those days! A public awareness campaign is definitely in order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:28 pm 

saskmommyof2...I agree with your ideas about where to consume foods while at work. As a nurse myself, I think staff/lunch rooms should be where food is kept. I don't necessarily agree with a nut ban (except in areas where young children are cared for/educated) Where do you stop with avoidance??? Between my daughter and I we have 5 of the major allergens, it would (IMO) be unreasonable to ban all of these allergens from the workplace. However, that said, I think measures should be in place to keep the food cotained, and strick washing guidelines enforced to help protect allergic individuals.

One problem I have had as a nurse... on Fridays, I can be assured fish will be the entree for most patients (I'm allergic to it), and when all of those trays of food arrive at the same time, the smell of fish can be overwhelming. I have to put gloves on to pass trays, and have had contact reations regardless, because it is hard to contain it all! I have also been responsible many times in my nursing career to feed patients food that I am allergic to. Any idea how many patients request toast with PB for a night snack????

Some patients are understanding, some are not!

On one other note...everyone I have worked with has been extremely considerate and understanding as far as my allergies are concerned. I have been VERY lucky!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:09 pm 

When my dad was in the hospital a couple of years back, I could only visit first thing in the morning as at least on person on the floor had fish at any given meal... and discussing with the nurses there, they just couldn't think of what it would be like to have me as a patient... many doctors have yet to believe in inhalent anaphylaxis so it would be hard to convince them to put me in isolation from the moment I walk in there... still wonder why I run away from doctors and hospitals? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:36 pm 

My allergies aren't quite as severe as yours, Mylene, but I too worry about what would happen if I had to go to the hospital. I guess that gives me an incentive to eat my broccoli and get lots of rest!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:48 pm 

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents here even though I do not have food allergies. My problem is scented products/chemicals. I am a professional in health care, I work in a scent free environment and some of my co-workers will surely be the death of me. I have no support from management, no support from the union, no support from occupational health and no support from worker's compensation. I am having physical reactions from my exposure to co-worker's scented products on their person and especially their clothing with fabric softeners, detergents, bounce sheets, etc. As a result of some people's ignorance and refusal to abide by policy, I am also becoming extremly depressed, low and terrified. I am being isolated, talked about and people think I am just crazy. I really don't know what to do. The only person who understands is my physician and she has done everything possible to assist me in having a healthy workplace but the corporation does not enfoce the policy. if any of this is familiar to you at all please reply.

Shy BJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:08 pm 

Dear Shybj,

I have breathing problems around certain scents. They always contain at least one of my food allergens.

Example: Paint and glue contain Corn as well as other problematic food allergens. If Paint or Glue are anywhere nearby, my Respiratory system starts to shut down. Thankfully it doesn't completely fail with these two.

Unfortunately, Popcorn fumes does cause Respiratory failure.

I am too trying to figure out how to convince my work place how to be more respectful of my inhallant allergies.

If the building is going to be remodled, let me know prior to the event so I can make alternative safety arrangements. I am the one that seems to get in trouble every time they don't warn me that Paint or Glue is about to be used in the building. I hate ER trips.