Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:17 pm 

http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/131837703.html
Quote:
"My client simply has the type of insurance and can only get the type of insurance that will cover her in an accident, if she operates the bus wrongfully," said attorney Vincient Campiti, who is representing Carrico.

Unlike insurance carried by corporation drivers, Carrico's insurance does not protect her from a lawsuit if she assists a student during anaphylactic shock brought on by coming in contact with peanuts.

Quote:
The board is expected to vote on whether to terminate Carrico's contract in two weeks.
2 weeks should be up soon....I wonder if it's worked out?

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:16 am 

http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/B ... 60073.html
Quote:
On Thursday the board voted not to terminate her contract, but can vote to terminate her contract if additional discussions don't go well.

"If we don't reach an agreement we will definitely be looking at litigation because we believe she's entitled to the full term on the contract," said Vincent Campiti, Carrico's lawyer.

Quote:
"If a child breaks their leg, paraplegic, you cannot say that she then has to transport that child with no mobility equipment. There are too many situations that can pop up where all does not mean all and we think this is one of them," said Campiti.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Are there no Good Samaritan Laws in Indiana? :freak
The way the statistics are going, there's a good chance of having a child with a life threatening allergy on just about any route...

Why aren't the insurance companies weighing in?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:42 am 
Site Admin

E-mail to Indiana Government Center South
http://www.in.gov/core/contact.html
Quote:
I am sure you are aware of the situation in Lakeville, Ind.
"The Union-North school board looked to terminate a bus driver's contract after she refused to pick up a kindergarten student with a peanut allergy. The driver claims her insurance doesn't cover her if she helps the student during an attack."
http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/C ... 37703.html
Are there no good samaritan laws that would protect the driver? Are there no insurance policies available to her?
According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology(AAAAI)
"In 2007, approximately 3 million children under the age of 18 were reported to have a food or digestive allergy in the previous 12 months.
The prevalence of food allergy among children under the age of 18 increased 18% percent from 1997 to 2007."
What can the children of Indiana expect?

:popcorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Update: the contract for this bus driver has now been terminated: http://am1050.com/2012/union-north-scho ... -contract/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:06 pm 

From the last article: The child’s parents contended that he could, if necessary, self-administer medication from an Epinephrine injection pen that he carries in his book bag.

The child is 6. Have the parents witnessed anaphylaxis? Perhaps he could self-administer but what if he goes into shock and his hand is shaking and he doesn't hold the auto-injector in long enough? What if he quickly goes unconscious?

I honestly would not expect my teenager to self-administer after witnessing her anaphylaxis a few years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

I hate this self-administer idea that many schools in the USA subscribe to. I've heard that the pre-equisite for self-carrying was the ability to self-administer. I had hoped this was dying out... :banghead
While it may be possible to self-administer and indeed for adults it might even be the only option at times, no one young or old should be expected to self-administer. Would you expect a chocking or heart attack patient to self-administer first aid?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:18 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Would you expect a chocking or heart attack patient to self-administer first aid?

In the "Home Alone" and babysitting course they actually do teach them how to help yourself if you are alone and choking. I do not support self-administering of epi-pens though!