You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:42 pm 

We will hand out safe chips and will go through all of Adair's candy that night and replace EVERYTHING with peanut/nut safe candy we have bought. Being that he is only two we only plan to give him a few little things, but for here on in this is our plan for all holidays. We will always provide safe candy for him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:06 pm 

We are also handing out potato chips that I know are peanut free/safe and also peanut free treats and playdoh for the little ones. We will save enough for both of our children and also replace everything that they bring home from trick or treating. I think my kids (5 & 3) would just enjoy the whole experience of dressing up and going out at night anyways and when I tell my 5 yr old that we want to make sure everything is peanut free, she totally understands nowadays.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:34 pm 

There are many programs that will accept the excess candy or in our cases, unsafe candy. We often give to a centre that serves people with special needs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:44 am 
Site Admin

I organized an event for the local support group the night before Halloween this year (Friday night). I was amazed at the support of the business community given our current economic climate! I can truly say there are a lot of supporter out there who are silent.

If you have a local support group, I would strongly advise you to try and plan some event for the kids to attend. Halloween is a good time because it's just after everything settles down from the back to school issues (new teacher, new school, ironing out kinks in the anaphylaxis plan...) and it's just before Christmas and all of the other holidays.

I realize that calling it a Halloween event will eliminate some people due to religious observations and the H1N1 took it's toll as well but our party was well receuved and everyone had a great time!

I made an orange parachute and the little ones tossed a bat body (fell off the wings) around in it. There was a craft table which got a lot of business (crafting is to children, what hor's douerves are to adults). We had a scavenger hunt to get the kids moving around room and interacting with each other. We also had games every 30 minutes or so for great prizes which were donated. In the end, the Great Pumpkin came and gave each child a gift.

Although I initially took this on myself (call me crazy!) BC2007 rolled up her sleeves and got really busy which waas great! She found sponsors in places that I hadn't considered. Her energy refueled mine.

Next year I hope to add an event in May. I think the children realy benefit from peer interactions jsut as we do.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:31 pm 

When my peanut allergic daughter was little she was allowed to go out trickor treating to neighbours and relatives we knew. At home waiting were plenty of safe treats that she liked. We just traded and first lucky group that came to the door was given the collected stash.
At school the focus was on a harvest costume party. Stations were set up around the school. I always volunteered to bake the 150 cupcakes (yes I had food-safe training) and shop for the decorations and icing students would use. Other parties focused on healthy treats. I often volunteered to wash and chop the fruit for the fruit tray. In all cases I always set aside a cupcake and toppings for the two or three peanut allergic children in her class so no one else handled their food. Fruit was also set aside for them.
Now that my daughter is a teenager, parties tend to be at our home or at the home of a close circle of friends. The girls often bake together ahead of time. We always send a safe contribution.

An added note for those situations at school when other parents send in unsafe treats, just ask that these be given out as the students go out at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:41 am 
Site Admin

AAAAI tips for Halloween!
http://www.aaaai.org/patients/elements/ ... cklist.stm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

If you're making food free treats available for the kids, you can choose a sign from this website http://allergysigns.blogspot.com/ They have lots of great ones! :banana

Last bumped by _Susan_ on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:39 pm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8