You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:45 pm 

So glad to hear that your start to school has been so successful! My DD has also started JK this year hand has 4 kids with epi's in a class of 20. The numbers are insane!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:04 pm 

School has been going very well. I have been staying and helping in the school but to be honest I am there now as I enjoy helping out more than out of anxiety.
I was thrilled with a telephone message (how our school sends most notices) which came last night. It explained that NO Halloween treats regardless of what it was could be sent to school today due to any cross contamination. It explained cross contamination. The message went on to remind parents that NO Halloween candy or food treats for the class may be sent in. They mentioned again that this applies to birthdays also...it ended saying you are welcome to send in non food treats and thank you for keeping our 31 kids with allergies safe. :thumbsup

The school also did something which really showed me how on the ball they are. Our secretary has a flower pot pen pot. A clay pot with pens attached to fake mums, this way her pens aren't always disappearing and it looks cute. I kept over hearing people ask what was wrong with her pot so I asked what was going on. The secretary said that it was full of dried legumes to hold the pens up but due to DS in the school they'd removed them all. :huggy I was so touched that they thought of this and I didn't even know they were in there. Another allergy mom :lol: had a great idea for me so I took in some small decorative rocks to re:fill the pot.

The school has been wonderful. I even met the lady who runs the before/after school center attached to the school and gave her a HUGE thank you. Without me being aware (or having thought of it) she offered to have her center go sesame 'aware' also as most of those kids are either in DS class at school or in the afternoon class but still in the same room.

To top off a great experience so far (one little hiccup but the school was all over it) I laughed as a mom came to me and asked if DS had allergies. I said yes. She said her son was talking about who he wanted to invite to his birthday party and he mentioned DS. Then he told her, DS will come but he won't be eating. :D LOVE kids and their open amazing attitudes.

:huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:36 am 

:bouncygreen Your son's school could be a role model for other schools! And the parents as well!! :happydance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:29 pm 

Ok crazy stats. Last year our school had 20 kids (out of 430) with epipens. This year there are 31 kids (out of 424) with epipens and 11 of these student are in kindergarten (between the SR and JR classes) !!!!!!!!! WOW!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:23 pm 

WOW!! When you see the numbers they really are going up, and to see so many at the same age. More funding needs to go into research. I am sure I was the only one in my school growing up with allergies. It seemed rare to meet another person with allergies. How times have changed.