You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:42 pm 

I promised to post how things went with our baked egg challenge. I was doubtful they'd even let us do one, because her RAST last year was over 100 for egg white, but since they saw a decrease int he reaction to the scratch test they scheduled her.

I felt HORRIBLE making the muffins, and sick to my stomach all night after making them, thinking things would go horribly wrong. I made her (and my) favorite - blueberry muffins. The recipie called for 2 eggs, but I used I real egg and 1 egg replacer. The whole batch with the 1 egg made 14 muffins.

We got the the hospital at 1:00 pm, checked in and saw the doc about a half an hour later. I updated her on the reactions we'd seen since last time we'd been, and we discussed the beef allergy which is "gone" but not really gone (she reacts to everything except beef cooked in a sauce, which is still a good start, cause horse meat is tricky to come by sometimes and a little priceier,a dn i'm not fond of the taste).

I brought 2 muffins. I mentioned how I was worried about it because of her age and all that, but having a bit of leeway would be really helpful in my grocery shopping, so I was going through it for that mostly (like pasta that "may contain egg", because the loblaws is a 30 minute drive away, and annoying to buy out the whole store when I go). We started off giving her a tiny bit of muffin after the allergist checked her breathing and skin and ears and such, and we went back out to the waiting room. I was paranoid, kept checking her all over (I had her in a sun dress so I could check for other skin reactions more easily) but when they called us in after 15 minutes, there was no reaction yet, so we gave her more of the same amount (at this point she was getting kind of peeved because she wanted the whole muffin). 20 minutes later, still nothing, so she got half the muffin. A while after the second half of the muffin. NOTHING at all reaction wise. She was eager to gobble it down so I doubt she was felling funny at all. The onyl part was at the end, around 4:30 whent he waiting room was empty of other kids and families and she had nobody else to play with she started saying her tummy hurt, but it wasn't in a way that led me to believe that she was feeling sick, more that she was bored and using it to get attention.

All in all she ate 1 whole muffin in the period of 3 hours, and had no sign of ANY reaction at all, so we went home, I was much relieved, and beyond some exceptional stink in the diaper the next day, not even her eczema flared up or anything, so I think we could call it a grand success. Now we enter the realm of trying some new "may contain" foods - I picked up some chicken nuggets that are free of other allergens, but have a "may contain egg" warning, but I dont' think that's much of an issue. Of course, we'll start off small just in case, but I'm breathing a HUGE sigh of relief that her diet can now include just a little bit more.

I told close family that she passed her challenge, but made sure they still understand that she is still allergic to egg, and that any food still had to go through me or be made by me, that all this really means is I can buy a different brand of pasta and make muffins with egg in them on occasion.

She's had the muffin 1 more time, but only half, and then spent all afternoon running around, which I heard can bring a reaction on, but not even that seemed to affect her. The allergist seemed quite happy with the results, and im hoping to maybe schdule her for a baked milk challenge after her next checkup, depending of course on the scratch test results, because that's always one of the biggest reactions on the scratch test.

I was glad that during the challenge they used me to monitor her, and not machines, because getting a 2 1/2 year old to sit still is a huge challenge. I know they had the room set up with everything they needed in case of a reaction, but took a less invasive approach, which was great with me!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

:happydance That is fabulous! Your world just got bigger! :banana :mrgreen: :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:04 pm 

:thumbsup :happydance

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:56 am 

:happydance So Happy for you! Amazing how avoiding one less allergen opens up so many foods. :banana

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:37 pm 

That's great news! We have also been given the go ahead to try a baked challenge with egg. Her rast has always been quite low for egg (under 3) but her skin test was always in the past very large. This year her skin test for egg was very small. We have had very busy weekends lately so I will wait until we have a free Saturday to do the challenge. He felt that it was safe to do this at home. I will have her epipen close at hand and watch her like a hawk.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:04 pm 

That is wonderful news Katec, my fingers are crossed for you also!!
I know when DS outgrew egg it was wonderful, mayonnaise, pancake mix, muffin mix, salad dressing, some frozen pizza..eggs!! :happydance

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:48 pm 

We're off egg again 100%.. *sigh* I was pregnant and didn't have the chance to give her baked egg on a regular basis is appears, and haven't had time to post it, but about 2 months ago, she had a reaction after eating baked egg.. Nothing severe really, but enough to get me off it. I made the same recipie as the challenge and she ate 1 muffin with her lunch, and after she complained her tummy hurt and she threw up twice (we watched her like a hawk for any other symptom, but there was none - not even a single hive, but her reactions have been incredibly atypical). After throwing up twice she said she felt better, but going to save this until our next appointment with the allergist and see what she has to say about it. Man this is confusing!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:07 pm 

:huggy to both of you. You saying throwing up reminded me of DD telling my mom on the phone one time, "Nana, I was thow uppin' all night." :lol: It wasn't all night, but who likes that even once. She was expanding the truth a little.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:33 am 

:huggy Hopefully (fingers crossed) your allergist will give the ok to try teeeny bits again in baked goods and try to see if she is able to tolerate that amount then work your way back up. DS outgrew egg and to this day will only eat egg in baked goods (even raw in cookie dough so we know he isn't allergic) but he actually heaves (not forced but involuntary) every time I try feed him scrambled/poached egg. Maybe the texture, I'm not sure. But hopefully your DD will be able to slowly start eating some goods with egg again .
Will she eat pasta etc. with egg?

:thumbsup