You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:14 pm 

Good evening, all.

My child was skin scratch tested four weeks ago ago for a few key allergens after several allergic reactions took place. The tests were negative. This, of course, is fantastic, but challenges are still needed. But nearly every day, one of the teachers became more and more insistent, insisting that we try the allergens a.s.a.p. Today, however, we learned that our child had been fed egg. We're going to find out more tomorrow. If our child was fed egg despite our written directives, what would you recommend?

Thanks very much!

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:17 pm 

Wow! How upsetting and quite a breach of trust if they fed her eggs intentionally. You have made it crystal clear by the sounds of it, that your daughter was not to be fed egg and yet they went ahead. It was reckless and dangerous. You must be so upset.

Its hard to say what to do from here. Do you have other daycare options? Do you really want to stay at this preschool? If you want to stay you will need to tackle it head on with the director and the teacher in question. I can't believe that a teacher would completely disregard your child's health, your directions, the directions of your doctor and also the legal issues. Stupid and reckless. Can your daughter be moved into a different class since this teacher obviously doesn't get it?

We are in a similar situation with a food challenge with our daughter in terms of finding the right time to do it. We were given the go ahead to try baked egg products but it has been tricky given a number of events, school activities and colds. I understand how hard it can be to find the right time.

I think if if was me, I would take the approach of asking the school to explain to you how and why your daughter was fed egg yesterday. They have the explaining to do. You do not. You are working on the best advice of your doctor. Perhaps they need to meet with the doctor.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:51 am 

Oh my goodness, I am so glad this did not turn out badly. :huggy to you Andrea_MASG. That person should definitly not be working with children if she does not get how serious this may have been. Whatever decision you and yours make, me and mine would be sure to have it documented through a lawyer....but that's just us. I have no idea if getting a letter from a lawyer makes a difference but it sure made me feel better, and for the record, my child would not be returning to be under that persons supervision (there just has to be another way).

Overall, I just hate that this happened. :huggy to you and yours again.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:44 am 

I'm so glad your child is alright. But how scary and traumatic for you. I don't really have any advice to add. I know that there's been a serious breach of trust and I'm not sure that I would trust them to take care of my child after this. I would definitely want her moved away from the teacher. Who are they to demand that you do something with respect to your daughter? You're doing what's best for her and they're there to take care of her which means protecting her from harm - like allergens!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

How did you learn of this? What does the Director have to say for themselves? Do you have an anaphylaxis plan? It is so very hard to determin what rights the allergic student has in Quebec!
They will undoubtly argue that the child is OK. However, it could easily have turned out differently!

I think that this teacher does not understand anaphylaxis or the method for testing, s/he does not understand her place within your child's life. To say s/he over stepped their boundary is an understatement. I would be livid!

I would certainly expect and appology, for the school to reinforce the allergy protocol and to provide the teacher with additional training. It would be very difficult for me to trust this teacher ever again.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:33 pm 

Thank you all.

We met with the teacher this morning, and it turns out to have been a miscommunication. Not intentional. But I have no proof of anything but a 'miscommunication.'

We have a choice now.

A) We can escalate this

or

B Get the challenges over with

However, if DD reacts to one of the allergens, then we'll go in well prepared with further written materials.

I appreciate everyone's input. If anyone else has something to add, please feel free!

Ironically, I'm currently preparing writing a book on this general allergy topic, so I'm my own case study!

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:45 pm 

Susan -- yes, we have a clear anaphylaxis plan in place. We've also told them that either we'll find the allergen that caused the reactions, or it will be a diagnosis of idiopathic anaphylaxis.

But this issue extends far beyond my child, who may or may not be allergic to the egg or sesame.

I worry about future allergic preschoolers and other students in Quebec who are currently served by individual school policies. And judging from the meetings I've had with teachers, school officials, and parents, there is cause for worry. (Our daycare is actually quite good, and very careful, which is why we were surprised.)

This is exactly why I've been attempting to get some advocacy momentum going for a Quebec law resembling Sabrina's Law. I've been touching base with others who are also trying to get that ball rolling, and we'll see what comes of it.

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:09 pm 

This brings up so many feelings. Mostly frustration :banghead at the lack of basic knowledge in the the systems where our most precious our taken to be taught.

I would imagine that a daycare should be well schooled in these issues.....but, when a person starts making connections and checking things out....well, it has been my experience that the whole system is set up to make parents thing "everything is rosy" at the schools.... :roll: and basically, most people are way too busy to make sure. BUT, when it is a possiblity a life-threatening issue you tend to look around a little more and notice a little more too.

I have to believe that I have made a difference here, but I think it is crazy the way this particular safety issue is handled. The information has been out there for a very long time...but to get it to the right people has been exactly like this for me :banghead Once a year, get everyone together, it's not rocket science. I was told by many people over the years that it's all covered in the "safe and caring" part in the Alberta School Act, but from my experience, that is a bunch of...well, you know....here the talk regarding safe and caring was about halloween costumes :roll: Even if it were manditory for teachers to take training in this as well as basic first aid ....eventually...more people would "get it".

re: costumes - I'm more concerned about the scanky more than the scary.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

Last edited by alberta advocate on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Good luck with what ever you choose to do...I would ensure that all future communications are in writing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:31 pm 

That's exactly how I feel, alberta advocate.

I think we do make a difference, but for whatever reason, allergy just doesn't register with some people unless they see it in front of them. I've known a few hostile skeptics who became allergy aware when they had to deal with anaphylaxis in a student, and in one case, in their own child, who developed a nut allergy.

You're all very kind. I spend a lot of my time supporting others with allergy-related crises. It's nice to be supported as well from time to time!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

:huggy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:34 pm 

Thanks, Susan. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:22 am 

I didn't see this thread until this morning and I'm sitting here sickened. I am so shocked by this breach of trust. I truly can't wrap my head around right now that this facility took it upon themselves to feed your daughter both egg and sesame. They can play dumb but the fact is it was intentional, if that can be proven or not I doubt but this in my opinion is neglect of a child. During an oral challenge our kids are given teeeeny bits of an allergen, then we watch them like a hawk, IN a medical setting. My stomach churns as I can only imagine they saw her eat the food, thought, good/she's fine ,and that was the end of it.
SINCE WHEN does a day care worker make life and death decisions for a child when a CLEAR letter has been sent to every management level. And WHAT the heck is with a letter complaining you are introducing/challenging the foods to slowly??? Why why why on earth would they even care????

They should not be working with children in any way. This is total negligence and harmful behavior. I know and agree with you that a light hand many times works far better with better results than a heavy hand. BUT...I feel that this truly could have let to a potentially life threatening situation and the only lesson that they have learned is to gloat that they did what you were too 'slow,afraid' in their eyes to do.

Oh Andrea, this is sickening, just sickening.
HUGS :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:28 am 

Andrea, I am also sickened to hear of this individual's decision to deliberately feed your children egg and sesame. Not only does this demonstrate her lack of knowledge, but it is an act of superiority in her belief that she knows best. I cannot believe she would have such a blatant disregard for your requests and the health of your child. I am relieved nothing bad happened, but it doesn't change the fact that she ignored your instructions. I'm sure you are at a real crossroads in determining what to do. It's true, a daycare or school can have an excellent reputation, and one individual's actions does not always reflect the policies and beliefs shared by the daycare/school, but a complete disregard for a parents instructions, seems to me, to be grounds for a severe reprimand, or even, dismissal. It would be a shame to have to move your child if you are otherwise happy. If this woman would have such a blatant disregard for specific instructions, I wouldn't be surprised if this would extend beyond a food allergy issue and is likely seen in other aspects of the care she provides to children. Do you see this in other areas of her care?

I really feel for your situation... it's tough. When our son was 2.5 years old, he was moved from a very caring toddler room at his daycare, to the much larger room where the care was simply not as loving and caring. He had been happy in the toddler room, but was quite unhappy in the next room. It absolutely broke our hearts, so after 2.5 months in this room, we removed him from their care (I ended up staying home which was brought on by this, and other health concerns we have with our son which I won't get into here). It just shows that the same facility can have such a different environment depending on the people involved in their immediate care.

Best of luck with whatever you decide :huggy

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:18 pm 

Am I wrong or don't all licensed day cars fall under a provincial day care act? If they do I would consider contacting your provincial ministry. I know when I had an issue at a provincial early years drop in (no where near this though) . I sent a letter to the ON ministry and surprisingly I received a phone call (and a letter) from the minister's personal assistant within days.
I agree with Julie, if a person lacks regard with a health issue I can only imagine what other little things are purposely over looked with day to day issues.
You don't even need to write a guns blazing type letter or demand someone is fired . You could approach the issue just with the facts, this is you child's situation, this is what happened, explain what normally would be done with a challenge and the risk involved...and the consequences IF your child reacted. This should have never happened and lets all pray it never happens again You could suggest mandatory anaphylaxis education for licensed day cares (even if they already have some the point is they obviously don't all read it or believe it).
This puts the ball in their court. With the ministry aware of this situation they will have to act in some way.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish