Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:24 pm 

http://www.king5.com/video/featured-vid ... 01028.html
Quote:
A ninth-grader in Colorado has an allergy so dangerous she can't even risk being inside her high school. But she's still going to school and seeing her friends with the help of a robot.

I heard about this on i880 news yesterday here in Alberta so I looked a little farther. No time to watch now but I think they said the cost was $5000.00 and that the school board was paying for it.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:53 pm 

I don't have audio on my computer right now, so I couldn't watch it. I know there's another kid attending school via robot for another condition, not allergies. Interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:09 pm 

Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about this. How is her dairy allergy any more severe than any of our kids'? How did she manage up until now? How will she manage if she ever has to leave her house? I know I should be supportive, but this is the kind of thing that just makes everyone else want to roll their eyes at us. I would never want this for my ds.

Seems like a really nice girl though, and the school does seem very supportive, so I guess those are good things.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:58 pm 

I'm trying not to judge, but I don't thing that this is helping to dispel the whole 'bubble kids' & 'helicopter parents' myths... I understand that we all have different tolerance levels (both medically and emotionally), and this might be right for some families, but definitely not for all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:26 am 

Momtobunches and Robinsegg I tend to agree with both your comments. I know that every circumstance is different so never say never but I tend to lean in the direction (also when it comes to service dogs for alleriges etc.) that this is just too over the top. Our kids need to learn to cope, navigate life safely, manage their life type thing. I don't want to call this a crutch but I'm not sure how to word it, just that this almost builds the feeling in a child's mind that they can't do it without this robot. If the robot isn't there, breaks, is taken away then what?
For me, IMO, this also just makes our kids even more different, separates them from their peers.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with you guys, too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:38 pm 

I had time to watch this over the weekend (with audio) and have some unanswered questions too, much like the rest of you brought up. Certainly some mixed feelings here.