You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:19 pm 

In Ontario, the Ministry of Children and Youth Services governs all daycare centers....I would contact them in order to get the protocol for Montreal...
this really is child endangerment/neglect. Maybe if the ministry is accountable now they will pay more attention to the need for a broad anaphylaxis policy in Quebec.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

I really don't think there is much in Quebec to protect the students. Maybe it's time this was changed!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:55 am 

It's unbelievable. The other part is the delayed reaction. Did they tell you when you picked her up that they fed her the egg and sesame?

It is irrelevant what the daycare worker THINKS. Her job is to do as the parent asks - which was under a doctor's advice as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:44 pm 

Precisely. Your points are all right on.

Unfortunately, Quebec leaves the question of allergy protocol to the schools.

I've had a few days to cool down, however, and I think the daycare is handling things fairly well. The teacher is also aware of the protocol now, as we spoke at length.

I think we just have to get the challenges out of the way so we know more, for our child's safety.

Once the safety question is out of the way, I think I'm going to try to make lemons into lemonade, and use this as a learning experience with respect to my consulting. Maybe offer some free seminars.

What I've found is that many schools and daycares know how to use Epipens(TM), which is a positive step, but they're not terribly skilled at label reading and prevention of reactions. So, even though I'm still quite irked, I'm going to try to handle this with as much finesse as possible and offer to give them the training they really need. Then, everyone wins, and my child and other kids are better protected.

You guys are great. Thank you, all!

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:00 pm 

Quote:
Once the safety question is out of the way, I think I'm going to try to channel my legitimate anger, making lemons into lemonade. In other words, I'm going to offer the daycare free allergy consulting to help smooth out the edges of their understanding of allergy. Perhaps I'll give a seminar.

:thumbsup
We're all here for you whatever you decide to do. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Andrea, I so admire your strategic thinking about what has to have been a most upsetting situation.

Fingers crossed on the food challenges, and all the best with the challenge of what to do.

If you like the preschool, but will always have lingering doubts about that individual teacher, wonder if a class change could be undertaken at the Dec. break? Sounds like you're still pondering options.

p.s. I'm not buying teacher's "but she had a flu shot" line. How does that translate into permission?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:49 pm 

Hi Andrea, so nice to "see" you again....but I'm so sorry about the reason.

Quote:

What I've found is that many schools and daycares know how to use Epipens(TM), which is a positive step, but they're not terribly skilled at label reading and prevention of reactions.

This isn't label reading though. It's way beyond that. I don't think I could ever trust that teacher with my child again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:04 am 

I can't believe someone would do this, and if it were my child, I would be so angry, and would think seriously about finding another facility, or as Gwen said, transferring her into another class. However, you know the person and are in a better position to judge whether training for the staff will make you feel comfortable with having your child there.

Good for you for 'making lemonade out of lemons' and using it as a learning tool.

One thing which I don't think has been mentioned. . . .what does your DH think in terms of the intention of the care giver, and what your next steps should be? The reason I bring this up is that he may have insights from interactions with the staff that may be different from your own. Also, if a decision is made to file a lawsuit or withdraw from the facility, it would be helpful for the two of you to be on the same page.

Whatever happens, good luck with the oral challenges and your decision regarding the daycare. I hope the worker is able to see the error of her ways.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:54 pm 

I'm so sorry this happened to you!! I am furious for you & your DD. It is outrageous that the daycare teacher decided to take this into their own hands!!! I think parents should be allowed to decide what kids can/can't eat for any reason, even religious or cultural preferences (ie non life threatening). Hugs to you, I'm glad your DD is ok.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:35 pm 

Thanks, everyone, for your support.

Good to see you again too, AnnaMarie! Have you been able to find sesame-free bread, BTW? I recall that the search was on way back when.

Alison's Mom -- My DH is supportive of anything I decide. (I know. I'm fortunate.) He relies on my advice when it comes to allergy, as he knows I've been dealing with these issues for a while. When it comes to the daycare, he's unhappy with what's happened, but it's otherwise a fantastic daycare, kidlet is happy there, and the teachers seem to love the kids. We don't want to disrupt things. But this is also what made this all the more surprising and upsetting. We'd never have expected such a thing from them.

Gwen -- Thank you very much! I try to stay rational. However, were my child definitively diagnosed via challenge, my level of vigilance would go way up. At this point, with a couple of severe reactions having taken place and all negative skin scratch tests, it's considered to be idiopathic anaphylaxis with a few suspected triggers. Of course, the scratch tests only test for a limited number of allergens. Since this is beginning to look as if a less common allergen triggered her reactions, the allergist wants us to play it by ear and keep the Epi nearby.

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:39 am 

Andrea, I'm glad to hear the egg turned out to be negative - that's great news! Good to hear your DH defers to your expertise. Mine sometimes peskily has an opinion without having done the research. . .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:27 pm 

At the risk of sounding like a lunatic, my first reaction to reading your post was "that's assault". I promise I'm not the kind of person to go acting in terribly confrontational ways but gosh, that's terrifying. I don't know for sure what I'd do in your shoes. But I would probably at some point explain to them that if I were so inclined I could either press charges (less likely since no real harm occurred) or file a lawsuit. I don't know that I would but they really need a wake up call. The director also needs to know that she has a loose cannon on staff that could get them all in trouble. And I would further explain that if an investigation ensued and IF it were ever proved that she did intentionally feed your child something to which he might be allergic, despite having been clearly advised not to do so at risk of serious harm to your child, then she could be prosecuted for something, whether trespass against a person or simple or criminal battery. I am no lawyer and so I would consult one to make sure I'm using the right terms, and I would let the daycare know I did so, to make sure they understand I'm serious. Now, I don't really think she intended harm to your child (if she did she does belong in court) but the blatant disregard for your child's safety, your parental rights and her duty to protect your child means she needs a lesson before she actually does harm someone. Who knows what else she thinks she "knows better than Mom or Dad" about? Ugh. I'm so angry for you.

I'm glad you are finding the right response for you but since you asked the question, had to throw in my two cents. I would definitely go to the regulatory body that oversees the daycare and report the incident at the very least. And I probably wouldn't keep my child there unless the teacher was dismissed or removed from my child's care. For her to play "shocked" is ridiculous. It's part of her job to follow instructions from parents, and if she can't "remember" them, then she needs another line of work. Another question: will you trust her to give the Epi-Pen when (hopefully never) it's needed? If she's so unreliable about remembering these things maybe she won't give it in the right situation. Sorry, maybe I'll be calmer about it in another hour. I am SO terribly glad your daughter was OK and so sorry this happened to your family.

DS, 4, allergic to PN, TN, sesame, chick pea and lentil, EA, dog, cat, asthma
DS, 16 mo, former multiple food intolerances, asthma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:00 am 
Site Admin

Given the coroner's inquest into young Megann Ayotte Lefort's death, perhaos it's time that the government of Quebec started to take allergies and asthma seriously! How many children need to die before the Ministry of education steps up and creates policies and procedures to keep children safe? :verymad

http://allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7223

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:27 pm 

Heather -- You're completely right. I've really had to keep myself calm and collected. Mostly because they're usually very responsive and are excellent educators.

But there's clearly a need for change in this province.

Susan -- Oh, the additional horror stories I could relate to you! But I must maintain client confidentiality.

Let's just say that in my personal view, it's time for a Quebec equivalent of Sabrina's Law. It's long overdue, in fact.

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:17 pm 

Just a quick follow-up. Food challenges were negative. As well, the school 'miscommunication' has been cleared up. It was, based on everything I've heard, an error, and called for some education, not ballistics. (Though I was sorely tempted.)

Mind you, it's the kind of error that can lead to serious consequences, so it obviously won't and can't happen again. I'm happy that I didn't blow a fuse in this instance, but it goes to show that you can't take any communication for granted, and everything must be clarified in writing and given to the director, not just the teachers.