You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:11 pm 

I always have my cell with me when the kids are at school. With the last reaction, I had it in my bag in the corner of the physio workout room while I was on the bike so didn't hear it right away, but did get the mssg within a few min. I have now signed myself up for a swimming lesson to improve technique.

If it were you, would you get one of those waterproof cell phone pouches for the pool, or just be not reachable for 45 min?

The container I bought for their epipens in the pool is a hard plastic case that wouldn't allow me to hear that the phone is ringing.

The school protocol is to administer epi and call 911 before calling parents, but it's still nice to get there quickly in a reaction.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:26 pm 

Could you not leave the number of the pool with the school perhaps? Or write it in your child's agenda? The pool admin. could then find/contact you in the case of an emergency.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:35 pm 

Thanks for the idea. Yes, I suppose that's an option. I wonder what the chances are that the administrator will remember only to phone it between 1 and 1.45pm on Fridays for 8 weeks? : )

I might get the pouch anyway. With an upcoming trip to Australia, we might need one for epis and one for phones, or two separate ones for epis.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:08 am 

This is such an individual choice. If it were me, I have peace of mind if either my husband or I can be reached in case of emergency. I know others who would not be too concerned for this short period of time. If you feel you would enjoy your pool time more if you knew you could be reached, then that's your answer. Do a lot of people have your cell phone number? That's the other concern... your phone could be ringing frequently while your "enjoying" your pool time! :D

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:20 am 
Site Admin

I always have my cell phone with me.
Why don't you have an alternative greeting set for your cellphone that directs the caller to contact the pool office (give the number) and have them page you? Most answering machines/cellphones have a secondary greeting option and once it's created, you simply switch it on (and off!) as necessary.

Our daughter's individual anaphylaxis plan is that the school is to administer the epipen (she self carries), lay her down with her feet raised, call 911 and then contact her parents. She is not to be left alone! She is not to go to the office! The rescue comes to the patient, not vice versa.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:21 am 

Used to do that but it simply gave me more anxiety so I stopped. The school can reach my spouse, my best friend or my brother. If I am at a doctor's appointment I do not have cell access either.

It came down to trusting that my child would be okay and if not that I would be there as soon as I could!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:50 pm 

Good points, everyone!

I am confident the school will handle emergencies without consulting with me, so that's OK. Yes, I have had to turn off phone at dr's offices, etc so yes, I am not always available.

Re alternative greeting. . .yes, that's an option, if I could figure out how to do it!!!

Not too many people call my cell, so it wouldn't be ringing every few minutes in the pool.

I might put it in a ziploc (or two) and wear in my neoprene epibelt and put it on vibrate for today and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:28 pm 

I think this is the phone I had for years http://www.pcworld.com/article/131450/i ... hones.html picture #4 :rofl If we had of had her when we met....my DH would have had C.B.'s 8) or a satilite phone (remember to pause? :lol: )installed @ the school :rofl Actually, we probably would have home schooled....& I would have hated it cuz all I want to be is a mom.....and I love that we have 2 very social citizens....& they might not have gotten that chance cuz I am a homebody after those 7 day weeks of 14 hour days for years and like it that way....although, with all the pipeline talk, and the kids getting so independent....

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:12 pm 

LOL. I remember those huge phones and how realtors and such would carry them around and they never worked in parking lots, etc.

Well, I ended up putting the phone in two ziplocs and the neoprene pouch, then getting there and deciding that the school would be OK not getting hold of me for 45 min, so didn't bring it into the pool. DH was around and accessible, as well, and I might take it into the pool if he's out of town or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:46 pm 

Is there not an office close where someone would hear it & come and get you? We find most people are more than glad to help out when we need to leave the epi pen somewhere @ just about any pool.

On the phone thing....isn't it just amazing....really. I can't imagine what the next few years will bring....and :thumbsup for exercising!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:21 pm 

Yes, I maybe could. I don't really like the idea of adding another job to someone's day. Complicating factor is that the school has more than one phone line and the numbers aren't similar and I don't know them all! Last time the call display came up with an unrecognized number, and when I called it, nobody answered because it was the staff room. It's sort of complicated and I think I'll go ahead and get one of those pouches because we will need one in Australia.

Thanks though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:52 am 

Alison's Mom wrote:
I don't really like the idea of adding another job to someone's day.

I guess the difference would be that my phone never rings unless it is regarding an emergency with the kids.....no one ever calls, just the way I like it...any time it ever does ring, I am wondering, what is that noise?When I do Curves, they always let me keep mine on a nearby table. :huggy

Oooooh, Austrailia...have fun!