You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Taped a segment on "Why So Many Allergies Today" on CBC Radio One's Sunday Edition today. Dr. Stacie Jones of Ark. Children's, who's working on the big peanut oral immunotherapy studies, was the other guest.

We got into a really interesting discussion with host Michael Enright. It will air this Sunday - as the lead item!

The producer provides the following details for tuning in, hope you can listen. Pls. mention to your allergy friends and support groups:

There are several ways to hear it:
* It will be broadcast at 9:10 a.m. on CBC Radio One in every time zone across Canada (except Newfoundland, where it will be at 9:40).
* Across the U.S. and Canada, the show will be heard on Sirius Satellite Channel 159 at 7:10 a.m. and 12:10 p.m.
* The audio also will be posted on our website later on Sunday, and will be available there for about a year. Next week, it will be on the main page: http://www.cbc.ca/thesundayedition/ and after that, it will move to the Past Episodes page, where you'll have to click on November 6th.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:55 pm 

:happydance
Quote:
as the lead item!
:bouncyblue

I am sorry that it is the lead item because of the amount of families that seem to be joining "the club" but so happy that it is getting the attention it deserves!! :huggy Gwen once again for doin' what ya do so well!

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Thx so much, AA.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Just reminding. Hope some you can listen. :popcorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:36 pm 

gwentheeditor wrote:
Hope some you can listen.

Dude!!! you need an editor! :rofl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

Heh heh.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:13 pm 

I am listening now. :thumbsup and waiting for British Columbia to catch up :popcorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:46 pm 

:banana That is so great. My DH and I listened together & love how it ended.These days I can always tell if my DH finds things funny cuz his lips get caught on his braces if he laughs or smiles hard. :lol:

Is there somewhere a person can comment and thank that fine gentleman and the doctor?

Gwen, I hope you can really FEEL how much you help families like ours. I am mostly thankful for this forum just for giving me a place to be heard....and we am only one family with only one food related life threatening allergy. When I think of where we were :banghead :banghead and now where we are (as an allergic living society)...well :thanksign is never enough especially when it involves those we love and their well-being. We are so much farther ahead because of you and the family that you have gathered :huggy . I'm sorry you had to join this club, but then again, thank goodness you did.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

AA - thank YOU for the support and most kind words.

I get as much out of this community as I ever give - maybe more. Afterall, I'm living the vida allergic, too.

:huggy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

If anyone else wants to here the discussion, it's on the Sunday Edition's homepage this week: http://www.cbc.ca/thesundayedition/

After that will go to Past Episodes, Nov. 6.

AA re contacting Sunday Edition host Michael Enright, click the "contact us" form on their page. They def. welcome comments.

Re contacting Dr. Stacie Jones, her contact is via her hospital's public relations person - Tom Bonner; email is BonnerTW@archildrens.org

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Oh Gwen! I'm surprised you didn't fall off your chair when he brought up Dr Christakas! :frightened
Well, we knew that would be quoted as gospel, didn't we? Good for you setting the record straight. :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

I think he did it to wind me up. DH says I went for that bait.
Of course! :lol:

A reader rightly points out that those who want to listen on the link above should know that the segment starts 10 mins into the first hour podcast.

Oh and you can leave a comment about the topics we covered. You folks always have good points to share, so it's a good chance to do so with a big media outlet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:35 pm 

It is very hard to write to everyone.....I sure wish all those people who may have an "interest" in this could just get their butts here.

I have a radio in another room that I just went into and heard that CBC fellow talking about last weeks interview on allergies....something about the discussion on what people live in... :roll: didn't catch it all but I sure hope that wasn't what most people listening in wrote or phoned in about...and if it wasn't, I hope he picked a more interesting thread than that to follow up on. I guess someone would have to listen to him again....but it won't be me. :freak jmo or have I said too much?