You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:29 pm 

So I was asked to do a presentation on anaphylaxis to the entire school staff in the week before school started, and I'm told that it went very well. It generated lost of discussion and questions, and they want to have me back. Fast forward to today, I get a call from the local public health nurse - who got my name & number from the principal, and she wants to organize a session for ALL the schools in the district! And she wants me to be a part of it! It's going to be a train-the-trainer type session, with us leading a session for interested teachers from each school, who will then go back and be leaders in their own schools. :happydance :happydance

And it's happening in just a few weeks! I was so blindsided by her request I can't even remember her name!!!

She has the info from Anaphylaxis Canada and I'm a trained educator with the AAIA, so I know we're totally on the same page.

Too bad it took until my son reached Grade 6 :? ... who, by the way, is off to Grade 6 outdoor camp next week. Thought about trusting the school staff and camp to keep him safe, but I just couldn't do it. My dh is taking the week off and going as a volunteer. I'll let go someday, but today is not that day. That made the school very happy as they were very concerned, plus they needed dads to go anyways. Win win! I trust them on the nut allergy, but still cannot trust them on the dairy thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:24 pm 

That is so exciting :happydance What district are you in?

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:30 pm 

Foothills School Division in southern Alberta. It's a rural district.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:33 pm 

Can you come to Ontario!?

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:47 pm 

Anaphylaxis Canada has a group of volunteers trained to do educational sessions for schools or community groups. If you need someone for your area you should contact them to see if a volunteer can travel to Barrie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:47 pm 

Quote:
I get a call from the local public health nurse - who got my name & number from the principal, and she wants to organize a session for ALL the schools in the district! And she wants me to be a part of it!
:happydance
That is wonderful!!! Way to go Momtobunches. Although your son is in gr. 6 now think how many kids
will benefit and be safer due to them acknowledging the value in the information you have to share. SO EXCITED for you. What an amazing teaching opportunity. :banana

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:50 pm 

Well done!!!

What a testament to your advocacy and knowledge that they want you to do this for other schools. Thank you on behalf of all of those families who have no idea how much you will help them...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:06 am 
Site Admin

:happydance You must have done an awsome job! :thumbsup

I'm so glad your husband has the opportunity to go with your son. Allergies aside, most kids this age might want to think their big kids but they truly do want to spend time with their parents. It's great for their self esteem to know that their parents feel the same way!

You may feel that this school training is not beneficial to your son but he will be going into high school soon and taking on more responsibility, you want to know that the school is able to support him as he won't want you to play such an active role.

I think it's wonderful that the schools in Alberta are starting to sit up and take notice!

Maybe we can get the schools to pressure the government to create some specific legislation/ministerial order etc. This would ensure that such training programs are budgeted for.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:01 pm 

Just an update - the session was held yesterday, and it went amazingly well. The PHN and I really hit it off and are eager to work together again. In her words, several of the school staff in attendance appeared to be "gobsmacked" by what we were discussing.

The most popular questions centered around how to recognize symptoms, and how / when to administer the epi. Surprisingly, there was quite a bit of discussion around asthma as well, and how often students have attacks at school.

The safety guy from the local bussing company (they do all the school boards in the district) was also in attendance, and he has just asked me to speak at their safety meeting in December. Sadly, I can't go that day but we will re-schedule. He says so many of their bus drivers are faced with allergic kids, and it is really up to the individual driver as to how to handle them. (Does the student sit at the front of the bus? Should food be allowed on the bus?) He knows confidence level varies, and he said our information was PERFECT!

The most concern was from staff at the Junior Highs, as that is when the students gain freedom from school grounds to eat off-property and refuse to carry their Epis. Will be presenting at those schools as well.

:happydance

(as a personal aside, I'm also doing a happy dance because I just found out I've been selected to participate in the Rick Hansen relay!! Last week I was held up at knifepoint at the pharmacy I work at :cry: , and I really needed these distractions...)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:31 pm 

I'm so sorry to hear about your terrible experience at work. I hope you are doing okay. It is wonderful news to hear about the Rick Hansen relay. It just went through our community and my son's entire school came out to cheer on the medal bearer. It was very moving and inspirational. I hope that this happy news gives you something positive to focus on now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:35 am 

Quote:
s a personal aside, I'm also doing a happy dance because I just found out I've been selected to participate in the Rick Hansen relay!! Last week I was held up at knifepoint at the pharmacy I work at :cry: , and I really needed these distractions...)

:frightened

Oh Momtobunches... :huggy !!! I am so relieved to hear you are ok (physically I mean). What an emotionally horrific experience.
:happydance On the Rick Hansen relay.... and for doing such a great job with your presentations.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:57 pm 

:huggy Momtobunches! Great work on the advocacy. Awful to hear of your work scare - glad that you are okay physically. It can definitely take time for people to get over the emotional aspect -- I was a banker and joined a branch shortly after they were held up. Not fun for anyone. Take care of yourself!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:35 pm 

OMG! :huggy Long one regarding the hold up, so happy this didn't turn out worst.

The Rick Hansen thing :thumbsup 8) I walked by him in a plane & when I got back to my seat, I said to my husband, "Oh, very good looking man up front, and looks so familiar, I wonder if I know him? (due to my old career on the pipeline, I know lots of good looking guys & but married a good looking righand instead :D ) and another good looking guy said "that's Rick Hansen" What a treasure we have in him eh? His good looks are just the topping.

And the teaching opportunity, well, you know what THAT means to me. Momtobunches, I would like to hear your thoughts on the school to inviting interested parties to attend ie.,parents & children living allergic? You know, a school community thing?

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:20 pm 

Momtobunches, is there any paperwork, mention, you know....ANYTHING about this ANYWHERE? I am doing a little poking this am and see that people from the PSBAA (Public School Board Association of Alberta) http://public-schools.ab.ca/
Quote:
Patty and Mary Lynne report a wonderful conversation about public school education. Thank you Foothills trustees!
Quote:
President Patty Dittrick & Executive Director Mary Lynne Campbell had a great meeting with Board of Foothills School Division in High River.
were at the Foothills Division. You would think this would be something that could have been discussed. I was looking at the websites and was just wondering (although the psbaa website doesn't seem to get updated anymore like it used to. Now, it seems to be facebook and twitting).

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Wow, wow, wow! If you build it, they will come! :happydance

I am so sorry that you where the victim of an armed robbery! Glad you're OK. Does your company offer any counselling for this type of event? You might find yourself reacting once everything else settles down.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb