You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:49 pm 

WASHINGTON — Farmers, scientists, politicians and lobbyists in Georgia, where roughly half the nation's peanuts are produced, are scrambling to do an image makeover of sorts on the politically embattled legume.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/08/ ... z1d93yozs3

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:24 pm 

Quote:
Farmers, scientists, politicians and lobbyists in Georgia, where roughly half the nation's peanuts are produced, are scrambling to do an image makeover of sorts on the politically embattled legume.
Well, the poor peanut. :banghead &I don't know about there, but here in Alberta, lobbyists are paid, unlike an advocate.
Quote:
Some farmers, worried about the stigma, have undertaken peanut mission trips to Haiti and sub-Saharan African countries, where nut allergies are far less prevalent, to promote the food's nutritional value for malnourished children. Scientists at the University of Georgia are scurrying to create a hypoallergenic peanut, and the peanut industry is ramping up lobbying efforts in anticipation of the upcoming farm bill reauthorization to ensure that farmers still get a chunk of federal funding.
:banghead
Quote:
Part of the reason behind the peanut backlash is the severity of peanut and tree nut allergic reactions, said Brian Vickery, an assistant professor of pediatrics at Duke University Medical Center.
I guess he might not have seen my dd. :roll:
Quote:
One thing many scientists, peanut industry advocates and leading allergy-support groups agree on: Outright bans don't work.
More education and awareness works well.
Quote:
Rather than promote bans, the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network contributed a section to a Food and Drug Administration measure offering voluntary guidelines to schools on how to deal with kids with food allergies.
:banghead There's that word again. :banghead
Quote:
That's why Georgia lawmakers — most of whom display their peanut pride in snack bowls carefully placed around their congressional offices
I wonder how Ray Danyluk is doing? viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5971&p=34121&hilit=danyluk#p34121

He shouts to be heard over the whir of the combine.
Quote:
"In some parts of the country I'm concerned about what's going on," said Chase, who once traveled to Haiti with fellow peanut farmers to feed protein-enriched peanut-based meals to hungry children. "It's easier for decision makers to ban something rather than take an approach to take a look at it closely."
now my head is sore.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy