You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:40 pm 

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/hospital-staff ... 14475.html

This is just a terribly sad story, and apparently could happen anywhere.

It is something I have thought of before, and when I drive DD to the hospital (after epi) I drive right into the doors at our emerg. No one has ever came to help...but there have been wheelchairs which I insist she use to get to triage.

I listened a while ago on a talk radio show about this and someone who works in a hospital said the same thing could happen here.(I believe this to be true, as my mother worked in a hospital for over 25 years and she told me this as well).

So, then I remember a long time ago in British Columbia (Cranbrook? or some other town that may start with a C) that a grandfather was taking his granddaughter to emerg. (reaction to medication), but no one could help him get her from the car in the parking lot into the hospital (procedure). I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly the outcome was not good. I tried poking around the net, but no luck finding that story.

Hopefully, there will be some changes made across the board (country) before anyone else is hurt like this. My heart aches for that family.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Oh my! Another reason to call 911!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:13 pm 

Well, that really depends on where a person is to start out...one time we were already in the car, so we just carried on to the hospital....and if you are a ways out of town (there's a lot of space here in Canada :) ) sometimes, it's best to just go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

If you call 911 and tell them where you are, they can arrange to have the ambulance meet you midway. The ambulance (in some parts of Canada) are able to start an IV in the blood pressure drops too much, give oxygen, intubate to maintain an airway, give other medications if necessary and monitor and relay vitals. Ther are able to drive faster and are not stressed beyond belief while they do it. If you have an accident on route, it will further delay help. With an ambulance, help comes to you.

Investigate your local emergency medical response so that you know what you can expect. I know that in some area, an ambulance is little more than a taxi for stretchers. :cry:

Get the lingo so that if you ever need to call 911 you make the need clear to them.
"Child with a known history of anaphylaxis allergies is experiencing --- suspect it is an anaphylaxis reaction and have administered the epipen (because you ALWAYS DO THIS FIRST) need help asap!" Give any identifiable information -red brick house on the corner etc.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:22 pm 

I guess the link no longer works?
Is this a case of arriving at hospital but not being able to physically get in?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:42 pm 

I HATE when that happens. It was there and then poof... happens a lot ..so I google things & try & remember.....& maybe this...
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... -ambulance but I'll think some more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:33 pm 

Oh my
That IS horrible!