You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:33 pm 

My hubby picked this book up at the library last night.

http://www.amazon.ca/Dont-Kill-Birthday ... 0307588114

I just started into it. Anyone else read it yet?

Last edited by katec on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:46 pm 

I'm reading it. I'm about half-way through. I like it so far. The author is funny and it is an easy read.

It is an interesting perspective as I often wonder how my son will remember his childhood (I really, really hope he feels like a "normal" kid). I find it a bit sad to read about her memories as a child, things being "Sandra-safe". We call things for my son (his name is Shannon, but we call him Shanny) "Shanny-safe" or we call vegan margarine "Shanny-margarine" or coconut milk ice cream "Shanny-ice cream".

It is also reassuring and hopeful, because the author is funny and quite thoughtful about her allergies.

I'm curious to know what others think too.

Amanda

DS 1: environmental allergies. DS 2: penicillin allergy, outgrew peanut allergy. DS 3: allergic to dairy, eggs, banana & tree nuts. DD: no allergies. DH: bee sting allergy, lactose intolerant. All have asthma. http://www.familynature.ca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:35 pm 

I read it a while ago and quite liked it. There had been another discussion thread about this book here: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6888&hilit=sandra+beasley

Several people did NOT like it, particularly because the author did not demonstrate very sensible skills when it came to eating out, taking way too many risks. I guess on the upside, she knows how to manage it when it did happen, and she has been able to become a really foodie which brings alot of joy to her life. I do hope that my ds will someday be able to really enjoy food, and trust himself enough to know what is safe without taking stupid risks like she does.