* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Wisconson boy saves mom
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:19 pm 

http://www.wiscnews.com/juneaucountysta ... 002e0.html
Thank goodness.

There is this one thing in this article though...
Quote:
"I had hives come up my arms and face and my tongue got tingly.'" She said she was unable to give herself another injection and was lying on the floor. Max held her in a sitting position to keep her airway open.
Ok...I need to know, what is right? sitting, lying :scratchy

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:48 pm 

I believe it's sitting if it's an airway issue, lying if it's a blood pressure / shock issue.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

The correct position is laying down with feet elevated but, it the patient is unable to breathe this way it is OK to sit them up so that they can breathe.
Think ABC-Airway, Breathing and Cardio. The laying down with feet elevated is incase the BP drops due to shock. There's no point in worrying about the BP and cirrculation is there's no oxygen in the blood. :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:45 pm 

So.....if a person were standing, became unconsious (fainted, probably no breakfast and standing too long) and fell, and hit their head on a hard surface, but they are breathing, what would be the protocal? I would think, head down, feet up, (so as to get the blood to their brain). Am I totally wrong on this? And I would definitely be concerned about a concussion...and if they are not breathing (but ya know it's not asthma or anaphylaxis, or choking) then whats a person to do?

But another question on this story in the paper, I have never heard of and back to the article,
Quote:
I gave the first shot in my arm.
It was mentioned epi pen, but I have not heard of injection into the arm.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:41 pm 

My son's last Epi was given in the arm at the Urgent Care. His dad had the Epi with him at baseball practice, but was coaching a different group of boys in the field. My ds starting having a reaction (we weren't certain at this point - this was one of those strange baked-milk-delayed-excercise-induced reactions he has had), so he ran to me. By the time I realized what was happening, it was a decision - go to my dh and get the Epi (leaving my son in the process - dh was way out in the outfield and we were in the parking lot by now so he could have some privacy while I searched his body for a rash) or drive him to the Urgent care which was basically across the street. My ds wanted to go, so we went ... and by the time we arrived he was in full rxn. Dr. drew up the Epi in a syringe (which seemed to take FOREVER!!) and gave it in the arm! I was kind of surprised, and ds said it really hurt (he is very skinny). It definitely worked well - ds stopped scratching like crazy within a few minutes, and his oxygen went up. The rash and swollen lips took a little longer, but he was at least comfortable after that.

So ya, I guess it can be given in the arm! I would still only give the auto-injectors in the leg though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Well, maybe the correct dose but the Epipen should still be given in the thigh. Remember the epipen has enough epinephrine to work on a 250lb person! That much in a child's arm (skinny at that) might be too much!

Glad you son was OK.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:35 pm 

Thank goodness the mom was okay!

Of the 3 times I've given my son the Epi, one time was when he was standing (before I knew the proper procedure!) and the other 2 times were sitting down. All 3 times, within 5 minutes, he was okay and didn't even look like he'd had a reaction. We still went to the hospital for monitoring and observation. The point is, he was okay very quickly, after the Epipen injection, whether he was standing or sitting. Obviously, knowing what I know now, I would have him seated and staying calm.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:47 am 

When I gave my daughter the epi I had her seated on the floor against a wall - thinking that if she fell over it would be a short fall. When the paramedics arrived they put her in a chair but there was always one right next to her.