You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Mold in Schools (TDSB)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:08 pm 

I know it was big in the news a few years ago. But is there some place I can get information about TDSB schools?

My son is severely allergic to mold. He is planning to apply to a special program, but if he doesn't get in, he will have to go to his home school as the other school is not open to optional attendance. We went for the information night at the home school, and it's disgusting. It's clean, in the way a caretaker can clean, but the ceilings all have water stains.....and that usually means mold. If he has to go there every day, he'll be getting sick a lot, living on antihistamines, and probably his allergies will worsen.

I can't go searching every school to examine it for mold.....and paying bus fare for four years because this building is in such poor shape doesn't seem fair!

H-E-L-P

Last edited by AnnaMarie on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mold in Schools
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:40 pm 

:huggy I have nothing to offer except....fine tune your heading to your area..maybe and talk to someone in the administration (superintendent?) maybe there is one (school i mean, not super..)near you that is newer and could be a good option. Good luck. Or ... what about one of those robots....how cool would that be, or is it a hands on type of option?

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

Post subject: Re: Mold in Schools
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:28 pm 

He's a very social guy. There are only two public high schools within walking distance. Switching him to Catholic (doable I think) would not be a goodchoice for him either, imo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

I can't get an address for this because it's an .rtf and the computer can only download it but...google: "Report on the Mould in School Facilities Workshops: June 2000"
Quote:
This report chronicles the proceedings of the workshops, and includes a summary of school
board measures considered useful in dealing with mould-related issues, as well as detailed

accounts of the presentations of each of the speakers. This report is not intended to be a definitive document in the retrofit or design of portables, but rather a compendium of Ontario experiences and practices in what school boards currently do to reduce the probability of the recurrence of mould. It is also a resource for documents to assist school boards in this task in the future.

Quote:
Why remove carpets?Statistical sample over a 5-year period revealed that carpets are a major source of mould contamination. Three things are needed for mould amplification and dispersion; carpets have them all:
Act as a reservoir
Amplify growth
Disseminate spores in the air from children walking on them

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb