You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:30 pm 

So heartbreaking, and so worrisome. I don't understand why they didn't find the mother right away??? Certainly they could have interrupted the parent teacher interview. So saddened by this.

I can translate and post the article if it would be helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:36 pm 

Gwen:
Quote:
In my view, the coroner has cold missed this opportunity to drive that extremely important msg home.

I agree. SO much went wrong here. What makes it even more tragic to me is the fact that the parents will know forever that their child was crying/begging for them. That would haunt me forever. This little girls passing has to many what if's.... I just can not even wrap my head around it all, it is just too sad.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.cspi.qc.ca/stegc/

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:22 pm 

Becky wrote:
I can translate and post the article if it would be helpful.
Becky, could you poke around a little in that site Susan just posted for something related? I can get around most school sites here in Ab. but the french has me beat...

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

AA-I use Google to translate for me, but then I can't seem to go further into the website... :scratchy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:54 pm 

Yeah, I tried a little but couldn't get anywhere either...I know a little french, (hockey & food)...but thought maybe it was just me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:04 pm 

Seems like most of the links are broken..:(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

AL's Mtl correspondent is speaking to the father this weekend and has other updates.

The article will be in the NewsReport, released next Tues. Nov. 22.

Sign up if you haven't at: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/cat ... wsreports/

In much happier news, we'll also have a poll and a great gift guide...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:39 am 

Julie wrote:
I have contacted Anaphylaxis Canada with the following:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was with great sadness that I read of the death of 6 year old Megann Ayotte Lefort in Quebec following an asthma attack in the care of school staff. My heart absolutely breaks for this family. There is something desperately wrong with this situation. How can the coroner not have found fault with the school staff? PLEASE, can Anaphylaxis Canada do something about this situation?? Media attention, education, anything to get this message out to schools about proper care in emergency situations. Thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I plan on contacting the Quebec AQAA next.
Julie...did you hear anything from AC? I am very interested if they have had any input into the way things are done in Quebec. (The language is an issue for me) They have had dealings with the Alberta Government (like that helped) Same info, still sitting...seems some people got some nice trips....it's not like all this is new information...it's been around a long time. They say things are getting better, but I wonder. I really don't see much change at all and from what I hear and read don't think much will change with anymore help from them. Here in Alberta anyway....apparently some people can lead a horse to water, but don't really care if they drink. They just leave. Can you tell I'm a little testy?
Coming from the oilpatch and seeing what is expected regarding safety there and comparing that to what is getting done in schools has left me quite bewildered to say the least. And you know, I think it comes down to dollars.

Personally, I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Last edited by alberta advocate on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:05 am 
Site Admin

I just don't understand why ALL Canadian children aren't given the same protections. We send our children to school so that they will learn and grow, so that they can achieve their potential. We want to believe that those in the teaching profession care about children and want them to succeed.

Why are they so resistant to policies and procedures that would give them the tools to make sure that these children are safe?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

NEW STORY FROM ALLERGIC LIVING NEWSREPORT

Our Quebec correspondent, Lisa Fitterman spoke to the father and got other information, plus dissected the timeline in the coroner's report.

http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... ng/?page=1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:18 pm 

Yes, I did hear from Anaphylaxis Canada via email with the following:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your email. We are also saddened by the news of the death of this little girl. Although this situation involved a number of contributing factors, there is a need for ongoing anaphylaxis education and we have spoken to a representative of the Association québécoise des allergies alimentaires (AQAA) in Quebec. The AQAA has advised us that they are working more closely with the Department of Education to help develop anaphylaxis policy in Quebec schools.

Anaphylaxis Canada recognizes the importance of ongoing anaphylaxis education, including measures taken to prevent and manage emergency situations. Our organization continues to work with ministries of education, school boards and schools across the country in order to safeguard allergic students.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously Anaphylaxis Canada has to be very careful with their wording and handling of this situation. My specific concern with the lack of fault with the school was not addressed in their email, but I feel it will be dealt with as best they can (Anaphylaxis Canada). I wasn't expecting a direct comment from Anaphylaxis Canada, but I did want to express this in my own email to them.

I read the Allergic Living Newsreport today, and it's so heartbreaking to hear what the father had to say.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:37 pm 

This just isn't right. Absolutely tragic.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:39 pm 

Such a tragedy. Not much seems to have changed since I was in Quebec schools years back.

Gwen -- I've looked over the letter and sent some comments. You might want to check the spam filter if you don't see my reply in your in-box. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Got it. Thanks Andrea.

Folks, stay tuned - write-in campaign is coming.
We'll need your help to move the powers that be to act in Quebec.