You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:02 pm 

This conversation was kicked off by
Danielle McLaughlin,who is director of education at the Canadian Civil Liberties Association and Education Trust. ccla.org/education

October 27, 2011
http://www.windsorstar.com/health/peanu ... story.html

November 02,2011
http://www.windsorstar.com/Safety+basic ... story.html

November 09, 2011
http://www.windsorstar.com/health/paren ... story.html

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:34 pm 

and more November 15, 2011
http://www.windsorstar.com/life/Allergi ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Wow! She wrote what I was thinking! :banana

Two things come to mind.
1. The non-allergy parent who writes about their childs right to eat whatever they want or who feels that a JK/SK student whould be fully capable of keeping themself safe etc. has no idea about anaphylaxis.
2. They have no clue of what we do besides asking them to avoid certain foods at school.
They seem to think that's all we do! :banghead

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:31 am 

I sent in a letter! :verymad

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:45 am 

WOW! :verymad I don't even know where to start with all that...

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:43 pm 

My first letter: before I saw the updated article she wrote. AND BTW Danielle McLaughlin IS the Director of Education for Canadian Civil Liberties Associaton.

To whom it may concern,

As a mother of a bi-racial child as well as a child with 5 anaphylactic allergies I find the article in question by Danielle Mclaughlin to be insulting, disturbing and disgusting. Our son has 5 allergies, would she like to put him in his own school as the just 'peanut free' school would still be deadly to him? I dare her to write and article saying persons of a certain race, gender, religion should be isolated purely on that criteria. She would never....ah thought so, why, because society doesn't condone such attitudes towards persons who are different from each other due to skin colour etc. But for some reason, food allergies- a life threatening disease- is on the final frontier where it is still politically acceptable to disbelieve, discriminate, mock, belittle and now I see suggest segregation!!!!!

The fact that this her article is relating to allergies is almost insignificant when looking at the subject as a whole.

Our society made many horrendous errors in the past with different peoples, institutions, native schools, race related situations. What has helped us heal and move forward is to openly apologize as a society for what we now know was so wrong. To bring to light now a possible 'solution' using the same discriminatory attitude is appalling. The fact is we cannot change the past, we show our sorrow and remorse to the victims (and that we have learned from societies past grievous errors)by CHANGING. Danielle McLaughlin's article does the opposite, it bring to light again as a solution the ugliness of segregation. To me it doesn't matter who wrote the article, the fact is it is on the Canadian Civil Liberties site with their letter head at the top, that makes you accountable for the views being promoted.

Would Ms McLaughlin say the same of autistic children, cancer victims, diabetics, children with physical disabilities. This sense of entitlement and ignorance she shows in her article is disturbing and disgusting, why to make YOUR life easier should those that suffer be isolated, segregated, discriminated against?

Our son had his first life threatening reaction to food at just 6 months old. I KISSED him after having eaten a certain food myself, that is all it took for him to have his first of many life threatening reactions. From that day our lives changed. He is now 4 years old and has 5 anaphylactic food allergies, 6 environmental allergies, asthma, he's had ear surgery, stomach surgery. I don't say this asking for pity, it is a fact. What our son has is a LIFE THREATENING DISEASE which he DIDN'T ask for. His allergies in no way define who he is or makes him a lesser citizen needing to be segregated.

So for those who think THEY have it hard trying to find a lunch for their picky eater which doesn't include peanut butter, I really don't care, try making my child's lunch.

We eat at home, I bake almost all our food from scratch so it is safe. This alone takes endless trips to different grocery stores to find safe goods, I then must call each product company to ensure these goods are in fact safe. May contain statements are not legally mandatory in Canada until the end of 2012 so every product needs to be checked to ensure it isn't made in the same plant/line as another product containing one of our son's allergens. After calling, checking, reading ingredients 3x I then begin baking...a lot...from scratch so our son has safe food. And due to the severity of his allergies our entire family eats the same food safe for our son.

There are no quick dinners, no 'just pick something up on the way home', our son can't eat in the food court, or at a birthday party. He brings his own food everywhere he goes. We can't stop at a cafe or join in the holiday festivities if they involve food. We have to be vigilant 24/7 to ensure he doesn't touch anything or ingest anything dangerous, we have taught him to never touch his face, never kiss us on the lips, never eat anything except for what we give him. He has had many reactions, all terrifying. He vomits, his face swells up until his eyes are shut, his throat closes so he can't breath, he is covered in rash /hives, his asthma is induced, he could die! But the fact is we know what to do, we give him his medicine, then we go for a mandatory 6 hour hospital stay (hooked up to bp machines, being given more medications) as reactions many times come back even several hours later causing blood pressure to drop which could lead to cardiac arrest or lack of oxygen to the brain there for brain damage.

Our kids grow up knowing they can't share, can't participate in endless activities, functions, events. Everything revolves around food, sport teams, every major holiday, crafts made with food, family gatherings, picnics, an ice cream cone at the beach. OUR KIDS must choose exclusion in some way, big or small, almost every day in order to stay safe and ALIVE!
Our son's school has 31 kids with epipens. Our school has no bake sales, no food for crafts unless checked with allergy parents, no food may be brought in for birthday celebrations or special events. Non food treats such as pencils, fun erasers, stickers are welcome, and you know what, the kids LOVE them. They are safe and promote good health. The school is loving, caring and does everything to be inclusive and safe for ALL students. This example is one which society could learn from, especially persons such as Ms. Mclaughlin. We are teaching our kids to be empathetic, kind accepting, inclusive, aware of each other. You know what's funny,parents at our school don't complain. It is the way it is, our children's safety and inclusion comes first.

I don't know if Danielle McLaughlin is a mother, a god mother, an aunt, But if she is now, or plans to be I would suggest she not tempt fate. 1 out of every 12 kids now have allergies and the numbers are growing each year. I would watch what you put out into the world as you never know what is awaiting you in your own life.

Our son's allergies have been challenging, there are times I've grieved, hurt and cried. But mostly I am thankful that allergies are our only worry. I am blessed with an active, smart, funny little boy who happens to also have allergies. I have also been blessed to meet many people who's accommodations to be inclusive/safe for our son and those with allergies has touched me greatly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:44 pm 

My second letter :mrgreen: after reading her updated article. :verymad

Dear Ms McLaughlin,
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to respond to my letter. I still feel you are totally out of touch with the facts relating to allergies.
If you had done your research before printing your article many of the questions you think you have so wittingly brought to light are in fact easily answered. I shall however begin with your Nov. update to your original article and give you MY opinion since you are so eager to share opinions regardless if self centered or ignorant.

Your Article:
“A very angry man once telephoned the Canadian Civil Liberties Association. He had sent his young child to school with her favourite lunch. She was a picky eater and only ate one thing. At lunch time, the child had been discovered in possession of that contraband item – the peanut butter sandwich. She had been whisked down to the school office where she had to eat her lunch alone, and then she was told never to bring her favourite lunch to school. The father was outraged. He said that the school was interfering with his right to feed his child the best way he could.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Opinion:
My first thoughts, How lucky this man is to have a picky eater. My son has a very limited diet due to life threatening allergies. What I wouldn’t give to have him be able to eat anything but choose not to.
My second thought, what about the children with allergies who sit in the corner of the classroom at a table by themselves eating their home prepared goodie as their classmates eat pizza on pizza day, eat ice cream on a special event day, have a lollipop as a treat from the teacher. Most schools in North America still have food parties, food crafts, food rewards, birthday treats. So imagine the millions of children sitting alone, excluded not because they chose to break the rules but because they would suffer a life threatening reaction if they did participate.
So am I sympathetic in any way to this self centered father and his child sitting in the office alone. No I am not!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Allergic Living Magazine : “Peanut allergies are one of the most common food allergies in children and are on the rise.A major study in the United States recently found that cases of peanut allergy in children more than tripled in a decade, and that more than 3 million Americans now have a peanut or nut allergy.In Canada, recent research has shown 1.68 per cent of children have peanut allergy. In the United States, 1.4 per cent have peanut allergy. “

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your article:
“The man responded, “If my child had a life-threatening allergy, I would never send her to school. After all, who would know when a guy like me might send his kid to school with a peanut butter sandwich!”
He is right. There is no rule about what children eat for breakfast. And we have all seen children arrive at school “wearing” breakfast. Imagine the child who has peanut butter on his face and hands playing on the playground equipment before the bell rings. Who will be the second child on that equipment? The child with the peanut allergy? The father said, “The school rule doesn’t keep the kids with allergies really safe.””
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My opinion:
Seeing that this parent is so vocal already I am fairly certain he would in fact send his child! Our children have a right in this country to go to school. I bet he would be talking the loudest about his child’s rights if he/she was peanut allergic! And regarding him suggesting sending a pb sandwich anyway, that is called assault in our country if done with the intention to harm a person.
Now regarding trace!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allergic Living Magazine“Allergies to peanut are one of the most common and severe types of food allergies. When someone with a peanut allergy ingests peanuts, even a trace amount, that person is at risk of a severe allergic reaction, called anaphylaxis.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As an allergy parent we never had a second when we are NOT aware of trace! Playground equipment, door handles, library books, computer key boards, toys. Yes we are aware of this, trust me, we live in constant vigilance of trace. We wipe, wash our children’s hands constantly to avoid this unseen but potentially deadly microscopic bit of residue. Our children grow up knowing that if they touch something they can never touch their mouth, eyes, a cut etc. as it has and will cause a life threatening reaction in those with a severe allergy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Article:
“What is the purpose of the peanut butter rule? Does it actually work?”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Opinion:
Yes, any ban big or small does reduce the chance of exposure to the allergen. If it even reduces the risk by 20%, 80% or even 1% that is better than 0%. Would you not have your child wear their seatbelt as there is only a 20% chance they might die without it? Would you have your child run across a road as looking both ways only reduces their risk of being hit by a car by 80%?
Peanut free, there is no such thing. Peanut aware, yes there is! What are appropriate measure to keep a very young child with allergies at school safe may differ as they grow older, understand more, are more aware. So does a ban work, do peanut ‘aware’ schools work. Yes! They limit the transfer of trace as much as possible to ensure children with allergies are as safe as possible. We teach our children not to live in fear but to be aware. They learn what to do from a young age and they must always be aware 24/7 every day of their lives. We teach them what to do , how to use their epipen, their life saving medication in the instances when they do have a reaction.

So to answer your question Does he school rule does help to keep our children safe, yes it does . As safe as possible, there is never a feeling that our children are 100% safe, but they are about 99% safer with the removal of peanut butter from our schools.
Peanuts are the leading cause of fatal allergic reactions. Peanut residue is the most deadly as it is unseen and is very difficult to wipe from surfaces. Were you aware that hand sanitizers do NOT remove such residue. Only a thorough cleaning with soap and water or disinfectant is able to remove peanut protein.
Allergic Living Magazine
… schools being peanut-free, or having peanut “bans”. The reason there is concern over having peanuts or peanut products (such as peanut butter) in the school is because of the high rate of this allergy among children. Also, because reactions to peanuts are often severe (in the form of anaphylaxis) and peanuts and peanut butter can be oily or sticky and prone to residue being left on chairs, door knobs, etc., many parents, teachers and principals feel it is safer not to allow the product into the school.
Generally these rules are not designed to guarantee a peanut-free environment, but simply to reduce the risk that students in the school who have peanut allergy will come into contact with the allergen, potentially causing a life-threatening reaction.
Policies will vary depending on the allergies that students in any particular school or classroom have.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Ham Pong /Allergist-Immunologist
“Peanuts are one of the most common foods to cause allergic reactions in both children and adults and are the most common cause of fatal food allergic reactions. In peanut allergic individuals, accidental ingestion of peanut products can produce any or all of the following symptoms: hives, itching or swelling of the mouth and throat, tightening of the throat, sneezing, chest tightness, cough, shortness of breath, stomach upset, vomiting, drop in blood pressure, loss of consciousness, and even death.
…The question many parents, caregivers and peanut allergic individuals themselves want to know is "how much peanut is too much?" The short answer is that any amount is too much. Microscopic quantities of peanuts may be enough to produce a reaction in some individuals….
Even very small amounts can cause serious reactions…. At school, allergic reactions to peanut can happen when peanut butter is used for school projects…, or the allergic child accidentally comes into contact with peanut on another child's hands, mouth, toys, desk or any other area where peanut butter traces are left. Trace amounts of peanut not visible to the naked eye can cause severe allergic reactions even on table tops or toys. The potential for cross-contamination of foods or articles with peanut is high because it is in many foods, and is difficult to remove thoroughly by wiping.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Article
While his suggestion may look absurd or even discriminatory, it raises some serious questions. What is the purpose of the peanut butter rule? Does it actually work? What are the side effects of the rule? These are the questions that all citizens, rule-makers, and legislators, not to mention judges, need to consider in order to determine whether any laws and rules are fair and just.
We want our children to think critically and to consider the needs and rights of people who may differ from them. Children who learn more than just a rule will understand they have a responsibility to others. Thinking about peanut butter can help them practise the habits of democracy.

So Ms McLaughlin, you see, there are in fact many good reasons to the exact questions you have raised, you will find the same answers on any reputable allergy website along with more statistics, facts and all the information you seem to be lacking to write a well rounded article.
The peanut butter rule has a purpose, it does work. The side effects are that children with allergies are a little bit safer, children without allergies learn to accept and empathize with others.
Fair and Just, well, that is subjective to how selfish and arrogant a person is I suppose. Not too many people go around bragging life is just so darn fair!

And I think almost all schools DO in fact do a good job educating students as to why peanut bans are in place. I believe it is the parents who create an issue where there is none.
So to those who complain about 5 of 21 meals their child eats a week NOT being able to include one food product, you know what, I guess to you, life just isn’t fair !!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:24 am 

:huggy BC :thanksign for saying/writing all that out. I bet it felt good

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:11 am 
Site Admin

:thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:18 pm 

:huggy BC2007, Although I think twice about most things I post here, my intent is not to get people (especially this community) unneccessily riled....I do believe that we cannot stick our heads in the sand when it comes to this issue though and no one will educate them if not us parents. There are ignorant people out there and they need to be educated.
BC2007 - you are awesome. :huggy That was one huge chore you took on. :thanksign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:52 pm 

If these to articles were by just any random author I wouldn't care as people are entitled on their blogs to voice their own stupidity.
But the fact that these were written by the director of EDUCATION of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association is what totally got (gets) me riled. The CCLA have a responsibility and accountability that comes with their title as what they say does hold weight/credibility in our country.

My letters aren't as articulate as I'd like but in the heat of the moment.......... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:25 am 

Man they are going to have a lot of reading Monday morning at the CCLA office but I had to send this email. You'd know why if you read my first two letters I posted above. I needed one more sent which wasn't written in the heat of the moment. :lol:

Hello, I am sending this email to explain my emotional responses. I also would like to apologize if my responses attacked personally, that was not my intent but I realize I did write my letters 'in the heat of the moment' so to say. (And as a mom the heat is usually turned on high)!!

What has myself and so many of us so impassioned and enraged regarding your article is the fact is we are talking about children's lives here and as you now see you have unknowingly waded into a VERY emotional and hot topic.
I am sure Ms McLaughin that you are a kind, caring person who takes her job seriously and really does care for the lives of children. I am also aware that you did had good intentions when trying to open discussions with your initial publication BUT you are missing completely the facts and allergy information which would have given your article a complete well rounded and more informative/accurate (regarding allergies) perspective.
The thing is, regarding any other disease have you ever felt you needed to open a discussion? With adjusting a building to create a wheel chair access would you ever publish an article that a ramp ruins the aesthetic of a structure or impedes on others in any way? No. Why then should there then be a discussion regarding keeping children safe, the accommodations by others are minimal, WE take all the risk? So, that is why it is so very hurtful that the Canadian Civil Liberties Association even opened the door to welcome 'critical thinking' regarding my son's life.

The allergic community constantly faces public backlash - backlash not see or unaccepted towards ANY other disease!! Trust me, if you've ever read the comment section under any public allergy article you would understand , survival of the fittest , remove them all from society type attitudes towards our children.
So it is more than devastating when a national/reputable association such as yours appears to be siding with the minority regarding allergy policy procedure. For the allergic community it is like one step forward and then such articles pushes us 10 steps back.

Your comment "While we don’t bring it into class, we found it opens the door to discussions about conflicting rights. For those who believe that democracy means “majority rules,” the schools that forbid peanut butter help show that, while the majority may like it, we may also need to protect a very small number of people. Whose rights weigh more?"
saddens and hurts me deeply. We are talking about children's LIVES!! Yes, yes yes, the answer should always be yes! I want my child,no matter the issue, when it comes to life and death to grow up knowing that in our great country, that in Canada, the answer to is the life of one child worth it be YES!!!!
For the CCLA to even hint that LIVES are a just topic for discussion and that the lives of a few children may NOT be worth these accommodations is appalling and so damaging and more hurtful than I can express. If anyone else had written these articles I would probably have chalked it up to ignorance, a personal opinion and turned away. BUT it is who printed these articles that is so tragic, the Canadian Civil Liberties Association stands for so much, you have a responsibility with what you print and what you say, as well what you do say holds such credibility that it can do more damage that you could ever understand. Many will not see this as you opening a discussion but as agreeing fully backing the opinion that our children's lives are not worth protecting, even at the cost of a teeeny tiny accommodation on their part.

I would love and encourage you at the Canadian Civil Liberties to have more discussions regarding allergies of your own with some amazing people who could shed light on this topic for you. Anaphylaxis Canada http://www.anaphylaxis.org/ and I am almost certain that the staff at Allergic Living Magazine would welcome a discussion with you. It would be greatly appreciated if then you re-look at your two articles and publish a third article with a bit more perceptive into the issues. http://allergicliving.com/

I will end with Sabrina's Law: Ontario allergy law created in the name of Sabrina Shannon . On September 30, 2003, Sabrina died in hospital following an anaphylactic reaction from the fries she ate at school.

"The coroner posited that the allergic trigger was dairy protein, which Sabrina would have been exposed to through cross-contamination from tongs used to lift her fries. Those same tongs had also been used to serve orders accompanied by poutine, the French Canadian accompaniment of gravy and melted cheese curds. She would have been allergic to the curds." "The law, which took effect January 1, 2006, requires school boards to have all principals implement anaphylaxis plans that include: strategies to reduce exposure to allergens, procedures to communicate to parents, students and employees about life-threatening allergies, and regular training on dealing with life-threatening allergies for teachers and staff.
In addition, principals are required to: develop an individual plan for each student at risk of anaphylaxis, maintain a file that lists that student’s prescriptions and emergency contacts and ensure that parents enrolling pupils supply information on a child’s allergies."
(Allergic Living Magazine )

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:21 pm 

:huggy to you BC2007,

and to the CCLA from me (sending them a short note today) ...and parents of allergic children are still fighting for something to protect their children in Alberta and other places as "Sabrina's Law" is NOT a federal law but only in the province of Ontario.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:44 pm 

Quote:
as "Sabrina's Law" is NOT a federal law but only in the province of Ontario

You go Alberta!!!! :thumbsup
This is something which I just can not understand at all, Sabrina's law as it stands should be adapted directly over to ALL provinces. The leg work is done, the writing is done, how hard can it be to adapt to each province???

The situation in Quebec, clear cut example. Hey, maybe we can get the CCLA on our side to help make the change.

Thanks the hugs, back at you Alberta. :huggy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:01 pm 

I think the timing could be right here in Alberta with the Education Act up for a dusting. I hope others here will jump in with this coming up
Quote:
Province launches Our Children, Our Future: Getting it Right public consultations on the Education Act
Government to hold forums in seven communities on education legislation
Edmonton - Nov 26, 2011
Red Deer - Nov 29, 2011
Calgary - Dec 1, 2011
Bonnyville - Dec 3, 2011
Lethbridge - Dec 5, 2011
Fort McMurray - Dec 7, 2011
Peace River - Dec 9, 2011
If you cannot attend in person, you will have an opportunity to provide your thoughts online. Check back here on November 22nd for the Getting it Right Idea Forum.
http://ideas.education.alberta.ca/engag ... g-it-right

it could be the only opportunity we get to have something written in that very important piece of legistlation. I guess I should start a thread somewhere to try and get people on board...and wouldn't you know it....like parents have extra time prior to Christmas....and who knows about the weather. I don't understand why a person has to do all this just to get people in the education system in all of Canada to learn about this....it makes no sense to me.