You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:57 pm 

It's not gonna get there by it's self. If anyone else is interested.... this is where we will meet. I will get back with more info. If it is to be included in the new act, the time is now...and to be perfectly honest...I would like to move on to something else...(which is what the government counts on when our kids get older...it is just a big wheel and it may be years before someone as outspoken as me gets on this particular bus again. Let's get this chore done before another family has to go thought the pain of losing a child all because there was just not enough attention paid & money budgeted to this.

I am sick of staff in schools telling me that they are having annual training (which by the way, I have on tape, cuz they left a message on my phone) but just try to get that on paper. As it stands now, it seems to me the only way to make sure that anything is getting done is for the parent to do it.

The following threads are ones where I have been quite active, or they may relate but prior to me being here.....if you are new to this forum and live in Alberta. You may find them worthwhile reading.

Public input wanted for Alberta schools
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1567

Alberta School Board Policies or Lack There of.....
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5758

Native School Conditions in Canada
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7165

Canadian Civil Liberties Assoc. & Ed. Trust
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7225

Quebec child died at school of asthma
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7223

Alberta Education
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6461

Getting political in Alberta
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5943

It's all about awareness, right?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5950

and that should be enough to get you started. Any questions? Please don't hesitate to ask...and I'll do what I can to help.

edited mostly to change the heading.....Let's get this chore done.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

Last edited by alberta advocate on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:22 pm 

http://ideas.education.alberta.ca/engag ... g-it-right

Quote:
Province launches Our Children, Our Future: Getting it Right public consultations on the Education Act
Government to hold forums in seven communities on education legislation
Edmonton - Nov 26, 2011
Red Deer - Nov 29, 2011
Calgary - Dec 1, 2011
Bonnyville - Dec 3, 2011
Lethbridge - Dec 5, 2011
Fort McMurray - Dec 7, 2011
Peace River - Dec 9, 2011
If you cannot attend in person, you will have an opportunity to provide your thoughts online. Check back here on November 22nd for the Getting it Right Idea Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:57 pm 

Here's more:

Alberta School Council Assoc.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6197

Public School Boards' Association of Alberta
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6644

Also, if you would like to take a look at some of the different policies in Alberta.....go to the Advocacy and Accommodations thread viewforum.php?f=48 I have some listed there and you see some to compare to where ever it is you live.

I will be taking the next few days to get my stuff together to update my own experience when I went to my division to ask for annual training.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

AA, I'm spreading this message as much as I can!
:thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:19 pm 

:thanksign Susan. I have bit the bullet and joined up and made my first post over at the Alberta School Council Assoc. https://albertaschoolcouncils.site-ym.c ... p?id=76477
Quote:
I, as the parent of a child who lives with anaphylaxis every day, am happy to have an opportunity to express my thoughts on things that relate to this life threatening issue.
I have been told many times by people that it is all covered in the "safe and caring" part in the old Act, but it has been my experience that educating the people that are in the care of our children is for the most part left to the parents in some divisions and that is putting some children in some very scary situations. Especially, if they themselves are unaware.
We have tons of information available, Ontario has Sabrina's Law and I feel that our children in Alberta deserve the same. As it stands now, the policies in Alberta are a patchwork and although the ASBA has a "policy advisory", school boards can pick and choose if they will put any budget dollars towards training to recognize and react.
Another child has recently died in a Canadian school and I think we could learn from that if nothing else.
:frightened there is a wall, and a blog, here is my first, I guess
Quote:
Our School Act is open for a dusting, what if your child should suffer an allergic reaction? What if that reaction were life-threatening? Would you like to know that the the staff in your division knows what to do in case of an emergency? Having been down this road for a few years now, I have discovered and find that most parents are surprised when they learn that it is not manditory for those who work with our children in Alberta schools (teachers)to have a first aid ticket, let alone be trained in recognizing and reacting to an anaphylactic reaction. This discussion is not just about the peanut. Ontario passed "Sabrina's Law" in 2005, and here in Alberta, our policies regarding this issue is a patchwork. Allergies seem to be increasing at an alarming rate and time is of the utmost importance when lives are at stake. An "advisory" which school boards can pick and choose whether they want to budget for first aid training or not? Not good enough when it's my child's life at stake.
and on and on.....so much to learn. If anyone here on this site from Alberta could join in, it would sure be appreciated. In the meantime...I will continue to poke around.
What would be good is if I could figure out how to get something on that discussion forum there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:44 am 
Site Admin

Awsome! :thumbsup We need to speak up of we are ever going to make a change.

I strongly encourage every parent, friend or relative of a child in Alberta to go to the website and make your voice heard. They are asking for your input-how often does that happen?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:39 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
http://ideas.education.alberta.ca/engage/current-initiatives/education-act-getting-it-right
Quote:
Province launches Our Children, Our Future: Getting it Right public consultations on the Education Act
Government to hold forums in seven communities on education legislation
Edmonton - Nov 26, 2011
Red Deer - Nov 29, 2011
Calgary - Dec 1, 2011
Bonnyville - Dec 3, 2011
Lethbridge - Dec 5, 2011
Fort McMurray - Dec 7, 2011
Peace River - Dec 9, 2011
If you cannot attend in person, you will have an opportunity to provide your thoughts online. Check back here on November 22nd for the Getting it Right Idea Forum.
That would be this one.... http://ideas.education.alberta.ca/engag ... g-it-right
Susan said
Quote:
I strongly encourage every parent, friend or relative of a child in Alberta to go to the website and make your voice heard.

Hey, I just realized, I know people....I guess anyone that cares could let their feelings be known on this.... :goodidea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:38 pm 

ALRIGHT!!!!!
Check this out...I called the ASCA this am cuz I was having trouble ( :oops: again) What I was after was to get something on the Discussion Forum. A very helpful person, after I explained a little about what I was after....did this
https://albertaschoolcouncils.site-ym.com/forums/
Quote:
Student Health, Wellness and Safety
This forum is provided for parents and others involved in the education community as an opportunity for the expression of views and best practices for kids. A few examples of topics that you may wish to post or comment on in this forum might range from playground and or field trip safety, to anaphylaxis practices, first aid availability and wraparound service support...

I still haven't figured out how to chit chat on that, but you know I'm gonna.

Man, busy day....talked to the local paper earlier.. left a phone message with my MLA still waiting for a reschedule of my appoinment cancelled last summer....I'm on a roll :thumbsup

plus this - Epi-pen law for all? Pros and cons viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7248

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:34 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
I'm on a roll
Well, I thought I was....but I'll just keep poking....what the heck...I'm already registered for the forum and today is the 1st day for the last time for another couple of decades that the Alberta Government is taking our wants and needs http://alberta.ca/home/NewsFrame.cfm?Re ... E1FB9.html
Quote:
“Education legislation is not reviewed very often and I am committed to getting it right,” said Education Minister Thomas Lukaszuk. “By opening up this discussion to the public, especially to students, we can ensure this legislation reflects Albertans’ vision for their education system and that it has a direct and positive impact on Alberta classrooms now, and for decades to come.”
One component of the Our Children, Our Future: Getting it Right consultations will be forums conducted in seven communities. The consultations will be exploring four themes:

Making schools safe and welcoming into account for the school act.
that last part (Making schools safe) #1 on the list (but don't let that kid ya...)
The place to leave your thoughts is open today and it is broken into 3 groups.

Tell the Minister Under 18
Speak Out 13 - 18
Getting it right Over 18

http://ideas.education.alberta.ca/engag ... g-it-right

The Minister of Education http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.asp ... rnumber=27 has a very diverse background as well as being the labour guy (employment and immigration- probably name change there too like everything else lately :roll: w/p.c.'s) in his previous position you know Occupational Health and Safety OH&S viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5758 Alberta School Board Anaphylaxis Policies or Lack There Of.. my post page 6 march 13/11

Quote:
Quote:
Students
The school is not an employer
Although the definition of “worker” is broad enough in the OHS Act to include a student, the definition of “employer” is difficult to apply to a school. The Alberta Court has accepted the word “employ” as involving “using the services of someone”. In the context of a student and a school, it is difficult to see how the school can be considered to be using the services of a student – the reverse is more likely the case. There is also no case law to support the notion that a student attending classes can be considered to be self-employed and therefore subject to the OHS Act.

Quote:
Responsibility for the safety of students rests with the school under existing legislation that applies to educational institutions. The Alberta School Act for example, states that schools must be safe and healthy environments that foster respectful and responsible behaviours.
and Government of Canada, Bill C-45
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6737 ....you'd think he's get this. Who's responsibilty... :roll:

...and today I am making contact with the Shadow Minister for Education Kent Hehr http://www.kenthehrmla.com/index.php?page=Biography and maybe Dr. Raj Sherman even....what the heck. why stop now.... still learning.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:08 pm 

Called # of K Hehr.....left my name & # with J. but was told not to expect a call back till after session, left my# and said I will wait. ...and the anaphylaxis thing did not come up on the order paper and will not till the spring...which will be probably after the election....and they are focusing on the health inquiry now....

And also called the Alberta Civil Liberties....in Calgary....told someone there my plight and where to look and see how this whole thing with them (Canadian Civil Liberties Assoc. & Ed. Trust) viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7225 got started and also this thread. I got a message back while I was on the phone to Hehr's office it pretty much said she looked & discussed with director and was told if I'm looking to change the law the first place to start is with my local mla so good luck with that and if you have any questions please call back. thankyou bye.

No wonder people call me crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:10 pm 

Found this stuff today.....

http://alberta.ca/acn/201111/31567CBECD ... 08957.html
Quote:
The education.alberta.ca/engage website includes ways for people of all ages to provide input. Elementary school students are invited to mail a letter or drawing to the minister (423 Legislature Building, Edmonton, T5K 2B6) about the changes they would make if they were the education minister for a day. Other students and Albertans are invited to participate in discussion boards about making schools safe and welcoming, making learning relevant, keeping students engaged in learning, and building the skills for future success. Additional opportunities include tweeting using the #abed hashtag, commenting at www.facebook.com/AlbertaEducation, sending an email to engage.education@gov.ab.ca, or sending letters or written submissions to the minister.

Well, I guess I'm gonna be busy learning how to tweet and facebook too :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:40 pm 

AA, I don't live in Alberta, but this is fantastic! You are working so hard to make sure Alberta's voice is heard in terms of anaphylaxis! Best of luck. Have you ever spoken with NASK (Niagara, Ontario). Cindy Paskey (and others) worked very hard as well to make sure Ontario's voice was heard in parliament, so maybe you could speak with her - or maybe you already have. Good luck with all of this!!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:21 pm 

:thanksign I just figured this am..I may as well be hung a sheep.... but really, thanks. We were all just laughing in my house cuz the kids think I'm a hippy at heart...doing my own occupy thing ...but I have a very nice house and need to still do my job in it....so ya know.... I've adapted. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:06 pm 

8) I just found this....so I'm working up to facebook :lol: http://ideas.education.alberta.ca/engag ... eral-ideas

Signed up, now I'm thinking. :thumbsup :goodidea

Posted this but now I can't find it.... :roll: :oops:
Quote:
Hi. Thank you for giving me this opportunity for once again bring up the subject of that little "safe & caring" bit in the old act. From my perspective as a parent who has dealt with a life threatening allergy in many different schools in different divisions I have a few ideas. As Dave Rutherford said while talking to me and Dave Hancock when I brought it up on his talk show once....I can't quote him exactly, but something along the lines of safe & caring being a pretty broad subject. I couldn't agree more and I think that it deserves a great deal more attention that what is has been getting. There has recently been another tragic death in another Canadian school and I am quite concerned for the children in our Alberta schools who deal with this issue when known, let alone the ones that are undiagnosed. This topic needs more discussion than that in the March 15, 2010 Alberta Hansard. Thank you and I look forward to this Saturdays' conference.
:rofl found it! http://ideas.education.alberta.ca/engag ... fe-schools I posted it twice by mistake. :oops

Ya know....taking this another step....keep the Illinois thing in mind....who's to say that Sabrina's law can't be changed to be even better? I like that idea of the school having one on hand.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:51 pm 

Well....WOW. Every one of those places in Alberta now it says http://ideas.education.alberta.ca/engag ... g-it-right
Quote:
Registration is now closed as this session is full.
Please visit the Getting It Right idea forum to have your say online.

Apparently, there is still a lot of people out there with ideas :idea: ...happy I got in. :goodidea

So....now, if anyone who is interested in this can help by getting people onto that forum....it is easy peasy...and it has a place for the kids too.... I must say, I am impressed with this website...I'm glad they are giving me time to catch up.....hmmmmm....must be an election coming.
There is also a General Ideas place to leave comments as well. http://ideas.education.alberta.ca/engag ... eral-ideas