Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:38 pm 

http://www.examiner.com/allergy-in-gran ... s-and-cons
Quote:
Last week, FAAN introduced the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act to Congress. This act would allow schools to stock epinephrine (the medicine in Epi-pens) to treat students in emergency situations.

All I can think of is pro.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:08 pm 

As long as they always replace auto-injectors before they expire, and keep them in an easily accessible place, only good things can come from this!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:42 pm 

Wouldn't that be great if we could get that written into our NEW Education Act in Alberta? How about all the way across Canada? :goodidea

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:58 am 

The two schools my son has attended keep what they call a *generic* epi-pen. It's a normal (real) epi-pen, which they purchase. However, as there are no nurses in the schools, and they are teachers, not medical professionals, they can only use it on a child who has been diagnosed with allergies, and that they have parental permission to admnister it.

I think asking any more of them is too much. But, it's a third epi-pen in case one of the two I provide mis-fires or something.

In the US, I think they have nurses in schools, so it may be different.

~~~

I did once point out to office staff that their generic had expired. The principal ordered a new one immediately, and told the secretary to make sure the expirey date was put into her calendar so it would be replaced. They hadn't thought about the fact that medications expire.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:35 am 

AnnaMarie wrote:
I did once point out to office staff that their generic had expired. The principal ordered a new one immediately, and told the secretary to make sure the expirey date was put into her calendar so it would be replaced. They hadn't thought about the fact that medications expire.

https://epipen.ca/CONSUMERS/English/Exp ... /index.cfm has a reminder about expiration but you have to create an account which I know cannot be accessed at our local schools. A challenge with the reminders for schools would be making sure more than one person has the expiry info - e.g., a secretary puts in her outlook calendar but then she changes schools.