You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:01 pm 

I sent an e-mail through their site and didn't really know if it went cuz I didn't get a copy in my e-mail file :scratchy so I called to ask if they recieved it..any way....the phone...one of those recording things so I waited for something I recognized and I recognized only one name and spoke for a bit...then she got another call...anyway...by chance I has copied (old habits die hard) and sent a copy direct from my email. :oops: I am still so computer illiterate....seems I always have to take the long way around. :roll:

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Just beginning to come up for air from Winter issue and starting to catch up on all your posts. BC2007, you're amazing.

This is what infuriated me from the start about what Danielle of the CCA wrote:
1. She doesn't know enough about food allergy management in the schools to leap to conclusion that what she calls the "peanut rule" doesn't work. And it's so much more complex than a peanut rule.
2. As one of you just said:
Quote:
Hey, maybe we can get the CCLA on our side to help make the change.

That's where they should be and would be, if they stopped to learn more. This is what's mind-boggling to me. This is the CCA we're talking about (as BC2007 keeps reminding them).
3. I still can't believe that Danielle, however well-intentioned, felt that what that caller had to say was in any way right or acceptable. Rubbish.

I really liked the counter column in the Windsor Star and the letter from Jennifer C. who told the letter writer going on about her child's "right" to eat peanut butter:
Quote:

I would never allow my children to bring anything to school that could harm another child, especially for their own selfish needs. Shame on you or on anyone else who would.

Will this allergy communication stuff ever stop being so much work? When it's hard to get the CCA on board, I do kinda wonder. It feels like arguing that wheelchair ramps might impede my child's right to a wider staircase. I mean, c'mon CCA.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:04 am 

Thanks Gwen :huggy . I also just don't get why it always has to be so difficult and frustrating with allergy communication. It feels like we are all paddling a canoe upstream with a flip flop. :|

I even had a family member try tell me yesterday that Danielle was just trying to share these phone calls from that dad and that she was not siding with him. :banghead The point is this discussion shouldn't have been opened to 'critical thinking' regardless by the CCLA. As well she did a very poor job in her article so that it truly does appear that she is validating these points brought up by others

The bottom line to her articles (comes across as) is that in Canada we many now debate how much a life (a child's life) is worth. And that we may further debate if one child's life is worth more than another child's life. I find that tragic coming from the CCLA (as I really do like to remind them and hold them accountable). :lol:

My quill is worn out and my ink pot dry so I hope I don't have to write back to them ...for now. :lol:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:42 am 

Just updating with this...my letter to D. M.
Quote:
I said I would write a short note so this is it. I am a parent of a child with an life-threatening allergy though not peanut. I live in Alberta, where unless the parent persists, even yearly training to educate staff on recognizing and reacting to a reaction is something I had to do myself as all we have is a ``policy advisory`` which means boards here can pick As our Education Act is getting a dusting here in Alberta....I have been very busy learning a lot of things to try and get "Sabrina's Law" here. That was me that posted the first thing on the Allergic Living Forum and I'm glad someone picked up on what was bothering me about that article. If you wish to chat, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Michele Ford
Advocate for Allergy Awareness in Alberta Schools

p.s. just spoke on the phone to you, you had another call so had to hang up. So I am making sure you got this...I have learnt copy and paste :) now I have it for my file, too.

and hers back

Quote:
Sorry I had to run, Michele. I had to take a call from overseas that I had been expecting.

I thank you for your comments and also for your concern about children with all allergies, not just peanuts. In fact, my concern was that schools often think they have exhausted their responsibilities when they create a “no peanuts” rule, without taking into consideration the range of allergies and the need to educate the whole school community about the issue. While Sabrina’s law certainly goes a long way to helping to protect children with anaphylactic responses to allergens, it does not take the place of teaching people their responsibilities for others. As we often say at the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, “The freedom of no one is safe unless the freedom of everyone is safe.”

If you are interested in advocating for a law similar to the Ontario one in Alberta, you might want to contact the Alberta Civil Liberties Research Centre http://www.aclrc.com/

While they do not engage in advocacy, they may be able to point you to people who can assist in your work.

Now theres a part below that says
Quote:
This electronic mail message may contain privileged and confidential information intended solely for the recipient(s) named in it. Any further distribution or use of this message without the sender's permission is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
so does that mean I shouldn't post it here or just if I received it in error?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:10 pm 

just posted this
Quote:
Called # of K Hehr.....left my name & # with J. but was told not to expect a call back till after session, left my# and said I will wait. ...and the anaphylaxis thing did not come up on the order paper and will not till the spring...which will be probably after the election....and they are focusing on the health inquiry now....

And also called the Alberta Civil Liberties....in Calgary....told someone there my plight and where to look and see how this whole thing with them (Canadian Civil Liberties Assoc. & Ed. Trust) viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7225 got started and also this thread. I got a message back while I was on the phone to Hehr's office it pretty much said she looked & discussed with director and was told if I'm looking to change the law the first place to start is with my local mla so good luck with that and if you have any questions please call back. thankyou bye.

No wonder people call me crazy.
over here Alberta's Education Act & Sabrina's Law??? Probably not.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:20 pm 

http://www.rmcla.ca/

I am interested in who/what exactly this all is...now I found this Rocky Mountain Civil Liberties Association. It all sounds so important and all, but I think it is a charitable organization....but not sure...there seems to be many...are they all connected..how much $ is raised and where does it all go? These are questions I always wonder....and that reminds me of this.... viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7238 There is just so much to learn...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:12 pm 

and another letter on the subject on Dec 01, 2011

http://www.windsorstar.com/health/Addre ... story.html

I so wish people would focus on the big picture....it's not all about banning peanuts. While that is important...so is training staff in schools to recognize and react. Accidents do happen anyway...and the peanut is not always the culprit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

AA, You're right - the so-called bans are the least of it. We only have to look at the case of little Megann in Quebec to see how important the training and protocols components are.

BC2007 - did you hear anything back?
You may need a new pot for the quill. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:56 pm 

I never heard back after my 2nd and 3rd letters. :mrgreen: After my first letter I did receive an email with partly a personal response but the rest was a standard response (I know this as my dad got the same standard response).

Quote:
“The freedom of no one is safe unless the freedom of everyone is safe.”
This portion of her response to Alberta irritated me. I know it is their motto she is quoting but it appeared to be a last dig. Kind of like she really is standing by the opinion that unless people have the freedom to eat what they want all freedoms and liberties are at risk of being lost. Even if this means children's lives are at risk. This only appears to reiterate the fact that she really does believe it is ok to open 'critical thinking' (as she calls it) or a debate on how much is my child's life worth over another child's life. :banghead

My ink pot is full and seldom am I at a loss for words so lets hope the CCLA posts some type of appropriate response to their inital publications. If they don't I will be even more disappointed in them and what they stand for.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:27 am 

alberta advocate wrote:
http://www.rmcla.ca/

I am interested in who/what exactly this all is...now I found this Rocky Mountain Civil Liberties Association. It all sounds so important and all, but I think it is a charitable organization....but not sure...there seems to be many...are they all connected..how much $ is raised and where does it all go? These are questions I always wonder....and that reminds me of this.... viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7238 There is just so much to learn...
...and now these guys ....http://www.uccla.ca/ Ukrainian Canadian Civil Liberties Association and these also http://ucclf.ca/ Ukrainian Canadian Civil Liberties Foundation :scratchy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:09 am 
Site Admin

Lol, how can one group of civil liberties be different than another group-within the same country? :dungetit

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb