You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:32 pm 

Does anyone know if it's possible to be anaphylactic to horses?

Our son has multiple food allergies, and has also tested positive to cats and horses. (Aside: we had not asked the allergist to test for animals, but several years ago the allergist included testing for cats, dogs and horses). Our son has never shown signs of allergy to cats or horses... until about 3 weeks ago! Our daughter has taken horseback riding lessons for the past 5 years. Usually I go with her, and my son rarely comes (he finds it hard to sit still for the hour lesson :wink: ) Well, I guess it's just as well, because 3 weeks ago, when my husband was out of town, my son had to come to the lesson. Out of the blue, after half an hour, he started REALLY reacting to the horses! Sneezing, EXTREMELY stuffed up, felt like he was going to throw up and felt like he needed to sit down. I left the class early, brought my son home and had him shower right away. I was concerned, for sure, but I did not feel it was life threatening, because I never thought it was possible to be anaphylactic to animals. Since then, I've been wondering and just heard this evening, at my daughter's lesson, that it's possible to be anaphylactic to horses. Is this true? Does anyone know?

When our daughter rides, she always leaves all her gear in the garage, washes her riding clothes right away and always showers right after. I guess it's a good thing she's been doing this all along.

It's so difficult when you have one, absolutely animal crazy child, and another that cannot be around animals!! But I'm now concerned that the allergy has the potential to be more serious. We see the allergist again in 2 months, and I will be asking then, but in the meantime, any info from our Allergic Living group would be helpful.

Thanks!

Julie

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:16 pm 

Glad he is ok Julie! Our son is allergic to horses also but aside from typical environmental type symptoms he doesn't react in such a manner of not feeling well as you described.
Could it also have been from him touching any animal food or a mixture of hay/animals etc.?
:huggy Hope you can figure it out.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Can a person be anaphylaxis to horses? Sure! Why not? I think I've heard of just about every other allergy. A person reacts to the protein and horses have protein. In order to have a full blown anaphylaxis reaction one needs to have the allergen enter the blood stream. I have not heard of anyone having a life threatening reaction from contact but-that is not to say that you can't have severe reactions.

The allergen can enter the blood stream by inhalation or by mucous membranes such as in the eye, nose or mouth. So you don't have to actually eat the horse! :huggy
I agree with BC2007 that it could be an extreme allergy to anything found at the barn including cats, hay, pollen or the horse. The best thing to do is what you did and remove your son from the situation, reduce the risk of exposure by showering and changing the clothes.

This is something that you'll want to discuss with your allergist.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:16 pm 

Thank you for your feedback. My son didn't touch anything while in the barn - other than his Nintendo DS - it's the only way to keep him seated :wink: . HOWEVER, he definitely would have been exposed to inhaled EVERYTHING. We were seated right in the open barn viewing area, with LOADS of airborne horse/cat/dog/chicken/hay/pollen - you name it - in the air. Because he had never shown signs of allergy, I didn't expect to see it that day, but indoors, in the barn, right beside the action is obviously too much for him to handle.

I will be talking to the allergist when we see her next, but I certainly will not be taking him back to watch his sister. Just as well... he doesn't do well in these situations.

One of the mom's was telling me that her sister's 5 year old daughter is anaphylactic to horses. They used to breed horses (or something like that) and now their daughter is anaphylactic. She absolutely cannot be near horses (or dogs). I truly did not realise that an individual can be anaphylactic to an animal... when I have further information in 2 months from our son's allergist, I will post the info.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:39 am 
Site Admin

I think that's wise. Please do make us aware of any information that ou find.
:thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:58 am 

Generally horse allergies will lead to extremely severe asthma attacks (life threatening) in sensitive individuals. I have moderate allergies, but ride often. Antihistamines help quite a bit. My kids were more sensitive when they were young, so I would strip in the garage. Hay, horse hair etc.. can cause rashes and red/watery eyes/runny nose.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Julie, did you ever figure out with the allergist if it was a severe reaction to horses?

I think it sounds possible in that barn type of setting, especially, as Becky says, if asthma is involved.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:06 pm 

Gwen, Thank you for asking, and I had promised to post, so thank you for the reminder. Our son's allergist (Dr. Susan Waserman) said that horse can be a particularly potent allergen, for those allergic. Dr. Waserman said that it's rare, but it is possible to be anaphylactic to horses. She suggested we try an antihistamine prior to his ever attending our daughter's lesson, but I must admit, I have not taken him back. Our son does not have asthma. He has been around horses a couple of times since his reaction in November, where horse-drawn carriage rides were available while we were on holidays (including this week), but he has not had that same "intense" proximity to horses as being indoors, with cantering horses, in a tightly enclosed environment. But I am thankful he has had absolutely no indication that the somewhat close proximity to a horse was not a problem - at least brief exposure, however, the horse-drawn carriage rides were outdoors, through a village, and not on a farm, so it's really not the same level of exposure. In a fairly recent post in "Allergies in the News", the story of a news reporter dying after exposure to walking behind a horse, and his prior anaphylactic reaction to horses is very frightening for those dealing with allergy to horses. For our son, it seems that casual contact was not a problem, but I'm certainly not in a hurry to bring him to our daughter's riding lessons. It is important for us to be aware of his reaction to horses. When we saw Dr. Waserman, we did not do any allergy testing that day, but we already knew our son was allergic to horses. We wanted information regarding the potential severity so we could be prepared.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

Julie, I'd somehow missed seeing this post. Glad you're taking precautions and got to speak to Dr. Waserman about.

Just wanted to mention re the reporter's fatal reaction in Syria – it's worth knowing that: he had severe asthma and, it turns out, he was a smoker. They said he took his meds, but with smoking on top of asthma, right away he would have compromised control.

All to say, hope no more horse incidents!