You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:11 pm 

I am finding this information very confusing... I have not used the Betty Crocker cake mix since I first read this post, but every now and then when I'm in the grocery store, I check the box (I make sure I'm wearing my readers :wink: ), and there is still no may contain warning for peanuts/tree nuts. I called Betty Crocker, and the customer service rep indicated if it had come in contact with the allergen, it would appear as a "may contain". Well, peanuts/tree nuts do NOT appear in the may contain statement for Betty Crocker cake mixes. Is anyone actually seeing this on the cake mix box. I'm nervous to try these again, but it was nice to be able to tell others that it is a safe cake mix....

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:08 pm 

Products can be different between Canada and the USA as well!

I did see the May contains Tree Nuts on one of the cake aisle products at Superstore (Canada) but don't recall which one since I did not buy it.

hmmm.... if we got ALL allergy families to CALL every time then maybe companies would give in and label properly for MAY CONTAINs! :happydance

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:16 pm 

I live just outside of Toronto and the Duncan Heines has never been safe for me and has always had a may contain for peanuts and tree nuts. I've always used Betty Crocker and I always check everytime I buy it, it has never had a may contain for nuts and peanuts when I have checked (as recently as last week).

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:52 am 

Hey Guys,

I use Betty Crocker all the time and it has never stated "may contain peanuts/nuts". They do have a "may contain" warning but I can't remember for what because it's not for anything that my daughter has an allergy to. But I live in the GTA area, not sure if this is different anywhere else.

Take care,

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:53 am 

Oops one more thing-lol.....Cassandra is right, Duncan Hines has never been safe us just Betty Crocker.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:16 am 

Just bumping this thread. I'll check labels tomorrow, but is Better Crocker considered 'safe'? Just the mixes, not the icings?

I always bring cake from home for parties, but many friends ask if there's a mix they could use. I worry about cross contamination, but there are a few I would trust to clean everything before baking.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Gack! I just find it easier to make my own cake from scratch!
We even make dd's easybake oven mixes.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:27 pm 

Me too, and I splurged and bought a pretty kitchenaid mixer, making it that much more fun lol. But I wish I could tell my friends that something was safe for my kids...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Have you checked out these mixes? I use several of the easybake oven mixes for my daughter.
I hadn't noticed the popcorn mixes before...maybe I'll try some of those!
http://www.budget101.com/frugal/mix-recipes-166/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:15 am 

Great idea! I think I'll try some out, before giving them to people. Might be a good thing for close friends, they can still bake their kids cake etc...but I could make the mix. Nice resource!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:55 am 
Site Admin

When dd was in daycare, they liked to bake on PD days. I supplied a new pan and placed all the dry ingredients of wacky cake in a zip lock baggie with the wet ingredients listed on the label. This way the kids could use the 'mix' and dd would be safe!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:33 am 

After reading this thread I am glad I make cakes from scratch. It seems too complicated to use box mixes. :freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:08 pm 

I spent some time reading cake mix boxes (& frosting cans) and couldn't find any warnings (other than contains wheat, may contain milk type stuff). Still hesitant to trust them for pn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:38 pm 

Hi,

Just thought I would pass this info along. Got my newletter from lifemadedelicious canada tonight with a bunch of gluten free recipes and it said in the email that Betty Crocker frostings are gluten free. Thats good to know. I can know have in the cupboard in case of emergencies. Usually make my own frostings but BC would do in a pinch :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:13 pm 

Hi,

I thought that I would add to this confusing discussion. Duncan Hines mixes were on sale at No Frills this week and I have never bought them before but a few of the mixes seemed fine according to the label. There were some with may contain labels for nuts but the Swiss Chocolate didn't have any warning so I bought it. I phoned the contact number and sure enough was told that they couldn't guarantee that it was pn free.

The explanation really frustrated and surprised me. According to the woman I spoke to, the mix I bought is packaged by a 3rd party company and she wasn't sure if there were nuts in the packaging plant and what their allergen policies were. I told the woman that I was shocked that Duncan Hines wasn't aware of what was happening in this plant which handled their product. How can they not demand this important information? I am sure that I could have pursued the issue further but I was so frustrated that I told the woman that I could just return the product and that is was a shame that they were limiting their market.

I will continue to make my own cakes and keep cupcakes in the freezer for those surprise special occasions.