You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:06 pm 

Hi,

Does anyone know which brand of cocoa is allergy friendly. Use to always use fry's cocoa but now they are importing it from UK and it says may contain wheat on the packaging now.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:45 pm 

We use Hershey's for PN/TN/Egg/Dairy allergies. They are known for good labelling, and there is no warning for wheat or gluten. Worth giving them a call to double check.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:05 pm 

I believe there is a difference in the labeling between the large (500 g) and the smaller size (250 g) as well. One (larger one) I think has the may contain while the smaller does not.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:29 pm 

Would you know where I could find the hershey's cocoa. I have looked in my local metro, sobeys, longos and walmart and can't seem to find it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:40 pm 

drl7 I forgot to say that the size thing is FRY'S and I a cannot help you out w/hersey's.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:28 pm 

I get Hershey's cocoa from Superstore or Save-on-Foods. I think Safeway sells it too. I'm surprised that Sobeys and Walmart didn't have it. Hmmm... it's in a brown container with a brown lid and a huge Hershey logo on it.

Again, be sure to call and confirm. We don't deal with wheat allergies very often so I'm not sure what the most recent information is regarding that allergen.

Fry's may be safe for wheat - I've never called because they have nut or peanut warnings so we don't use them, even the size without the warning...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:22 pm 

Hershey's is safe if I could only find it :)
Fry's label both sizes now saw may comtain wheat since they now import it from the cadbury UK.

I used to see Hershey cocoa everywhere but I was loyal to Fry's and now that I am looking for Hershey's its hard to find. I should check a loblaws.

thanks for your help

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:21 pm 

I was just going through this... I found Dagoba cacao and it had no may contains so I emailed the company (it is a Hershey's company). Here is their reply as of today:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Dagoba Organic Chocolate.

Our product label includes an accurate listing of the ingredients in our products.  However, on occasion, the list of ingredients can change.  We encourage you to check the ingredient label on the package before you make a purchase.  This label provides accurate, current information about all the ingredients in the package.

If you should have questions concerning additional products, please call us at 1-866-608-6944.  A representative will be glad to assist you with any questions you may have.

I will be calling them when I have a chance since their reply was rather generic. I bought it at Planet Organic in Calgary. I hope it helps!

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma