* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Candy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:24 pm 

I have come across this web site

www.indiecandy.com

Has anyone had any of their products? I am not sure at this point if they will ship to canada for me or if they will, how much it will cost. They look like they have quite a selection.
Some of these items look great for christmas. :thumbsup

:popcorn

Post subject: Re: Candy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:37 am 

I am going to place an order for christmas. Just wanted to point out for soy allergy they have chewing gum. (I think that it is hard to find gum with out soy, and chocolate as well )
In the "back to school" area I saw some gluten free play dough. I will try some of their products over christmas and let you know what we think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Yes please, let us know! :thumbsup
Here are a couple of resources for candy.

http://alimentsangegardien.com/boutique ... 483.2.html
http://www.avoidingmilkprotein.com/candy.htm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:02 pm 

Thanks Susan that adds a few more to go over before I make my order. It is missing my favorite chocolate place though. www.vermontnutfree.com I always place at least one order a year. I order in winter so I don't have to pay for cooler packages. I love their truffle selection. This year I want to try their new pretzel/caramel/chocolate treat. Looks yumy. :popcorn
One day while watching tv I happened to stop on a show about chocolate making and the company had chocolates with salt on them. I have since been wanting to find out what that would taste like and the indiecandy has one with salt on it. :banana
They also have a brittle with cranberries and pumpkin seeds in it. Might be good. I have never had brittle but always wanted some. Maybe some one out there makes a nut free brittle. If so would love a good recipe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:05 am 

So I got my fill of Vermont chocolates and also tried a couple new items love, love, love the chocolate fudge. Tried the pretzel chocolate, caramel bar it was fine but could make it at home and be just as pleased with it.
Placed an order with indie candy. since they are just starting to ship to Canada it was too costly $35 to ship then they requested another$16 when it was delivered. Orderded this for my niece she loved the chocolates, lollypops, the gum the hot chocolate and the cranberry & pumpkin brittle. Was quite expensive though.

Only thing is this is about one of the only places I found that is soy free.

If any one know's of any baking chocolates that are soy free.....do tell.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:59 am 

Enjoy Life Foods has soy-free chocolate chips (also dairy, peanut, tree nut, gluten-free).

http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/chocolate ... ini-chips/

We are not dealing with soy or dairy allergy in our household, so I buy Hershey's milk chocolate chips.

If you're looking for a less expensive option, you can melt and make your own chocolates. It's quite easy. Not that I do this a lot, but I purchased the molds at Bulk Barn (they have all sorts of choices: mini-Santas, mini-Easter Bunnies, sports related molds, etc. I just melt the chocolate chips and pour them into buttered molds. They I chill them and pop them out. A couple of years I made chocolate Santa lollipops, and they were a HUGE hit at my son's Montessori school. (Everybody knew of my son's food allergies, so they knew these would be safe at his holiday party.)

Once in awhile I make our own toffee (it tastes just like the toffee in brittle, but without anything added (nuts, etc.). This recipe is simple, but takes a little practice so the end product is a toffee that will snap (not like fudge where it is chewy - which is still yummy, but not yet quite like toffee). You must stir the pot the whole time so it doesn't burn. You need to boil it until it reaches a nice caramel-brownish colour (not yellowy).

Toffee
1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons water

1. Bring ingredients to a boil (stir constantly). I then reduce the heat slightly so it won't burn (between medium and high heat). Stir together for 10 - 15 minutes until a nice caramel colour is achieved. Pour into a buttered pan and let cool (you can put in the fridge if you want it to cool faster). Break the toffee into pieces when cool. If the toffee doesn't break, this means it wasn't on the heat long enough. Don't worry, with practice, you can make perfect, delicious toffee!

I also make toffee Santas one year, and it is possible, but toffee is so finicky, and the timing is so critical that I wouldn't do this too often. Besides, the chocolate Santas were such a big hit, I didn't need the toffee ones :)

Good luck!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:58 pm 

Hi Julie I will try the toffee it looks good. I have purchased the enjoy life foods chipits but still wonder if there is some baking/melting type of chocolates especially for pouring in molds.
Thanks for the reply

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:58 pm 

Enjoy Life also makes chocolate chunks that are better for melting. If you temper the chocolate it works well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:55 pm 

believe it or not I went shopping and found the chocolate chunks on Friday :)
I now have a few options thanks ladies.
:thanksign