You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:12 pm 

Some people are total "foodies" and some people view it as just fuel. Probably most people are inbetween. What're you like? How do you think having allergies has had an impact on how you feel about food in general?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Dd has food allergies and she is 3 years old. I often wonder if she'll have food issues.
At this time she has definate food favourites. Rice noodles, skittles, Ripples plain potato chips, soy milk, margarine, rice cripsy squares, mushrooms, tomatoes and canned peaches.
She is really good about not eating anything unless mommy or daddy give it the ok. Often when we're out she won't eat a faithful old food if it is packaged differenty (single serving as opposed to family size)
Dd knows that food can make her sick but can also be an expresion of love and caring. The fact that her grandmother got her exact brand of cereal, pasta, baking powder, soy milk, ketchup and spaghetti sauce is not lost on her neither however is that fact that others are not so careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:38 am 

I was always a very picky eater. I didn't like strong flavours, or spicy, or well, much of anything.

After getting married and having two kids, I finally started *expanding my horizons*. I was eating foods that I had never tried, and foods that I had hated as a child. Adding a lot more spices in my cooking to.

Then, I started having reactions to food. For the first time in my life I was actually enjoying food - and look what happened. I developed such a fear of food that I started losing weight - and lots of it.

Now - food is back to being fuel. A necessary evil.

Except chocolate. ;)

Edited to add: And coffee. I mean - that's a whole food group on it's own isn't it? Chocolate and coffee - what a mixture. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:42 am 

Like Anna Marie, I was picky and still am. Food is a fuel. I hate eating. It's a waste of my time. I eat because I feel dizzy if I don't and I get headaches (maybe from the hypoglycemia), but I would be much happier if I could just take a little pill for fuel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:44 pm 

On Santa Claus Conquers the Martians they had little pills for fuel. I was sooooo jealous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:00 am 

I actually think that I've learned to cook better because I have to cook all the time from scratch and have become familiar with how each ingredient changes the flavour of a dish.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:33 pm 

My relationship with food has changed greatly. I used to love icecream. Now it is the evil :evil: stuff that could kill my daughter. Hard to turn to your old comfort foods when they have betrayed you.

Also I have really become enlightened on societies obsession with food. People don't know how to have fun without food anymore.

A friend of mine (no allergies in family ) loves to go as a family to Tim Hortons for coffee, pop and tim bits. Our family, we go bowling, mini golfing or swimming etc. It has helped us to live a healthier life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:46 pm 

I'm a foodie. I may have life threatening food allergies, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy all the other food I can eat.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:22 am 

I'm definitely a foodie! ... and so is my husband, and our children are too. We generally maike healthy food choices (most of the time), eat lots of fruit, veggies, grains and meats, etc. I just try to find new and creative ways to cook our foods - I'm always looking for new recipes. Both our kids seem interested in cooking, and our 6 year old will help out in the kitchen already. With having life-threatening allergies, it's going to be very important for our 3 year old son to learn to cook for himself (one day), so we hope to teach him to enjoy food preparation - doesn't it seem to be a lost art these days? With all the prepared foods available, true cooking seems to be taking a back seat. Food allergies don't allow for this - you must cook for yourself, and if you enjoy food, you must learn to enjoy cooking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:22 am 
Site Admin

Just re-reading some of these posts and thinking...our daughter is becoming very ionterested in food and food preparation. Partly I suspect as a means of understanding where hidden allergens may lurk and thereby to be able to control the situation and partly because of the science of food (acids vs bases, chemical reactions, taste sensations etc.).

She saw Pop rocks mentioned in a Kim Possible episode where she goes back in time. She thought that was amazing. She had lots of questions for me...she must wonder about my generation...we ate wax (lips or tubes of suspicious fluid) as candy! :wink:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:39 pm 

I agree with pretty much everything said so far. We are far healthier and aware of what we eat as a family. I have become a better (my family may laugh) baker and cook. I think when my hot dog buns turned out perfectly last month for the first time I was the most excited I'd been in ages!

Most days I enjoy preparing meals/snacks but many days I still dread food and see it as purely fuel.
Like mentioned above we now do so much more as a family which does NOT revolve around food. If there are snacks we enjoy something we've made or something we know is safe. I loved the comment Gwen posted (can't remember where I read it). It was a study done where it showed families dealing with allergies have more stress BUT they also worked more cohesively together. I really can say that this has made us more appreciative of the little things and has really brought our little family much closer as we really do need each others support.

AnnaMarie I'm with you, coffee and chocolate are in their own food group :D Thank goodness our son doesn't react to the 'kiss' of coffee bean......that would be it, he'd have to go then. :D :D :D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish