You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hemp Hearts
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:08 pm 

I keep hearing how healthy hemp hearts are, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a brand/where to buy. I need a brand that would be nut/peanut free. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Hemp Hearts
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:54 pm 

I use "Ruth's Soft Hemp" Shelled Hemp seed. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere on the package where it says it's allergen free. Only that it is 100% organic soft hemp.

They are good though. (but I haven't fed them to my nut allergic child)

Sorry. Not sure if that helps.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:20 am 

Could you tell me where you got them, I will check them out. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:13 pm 

Sorry for the late response.... I got them at the local heath food store. They had a few different brands.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:27 pm 

Thanks for the info. I called the company, and they are processed on the same equipment as products containing nuts and peanuts. They clean the equipment before doing the hemp seeds, but I will not be trying this product.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:27 am 

There's a cereal called "Holy Crap" that was on the Dragon's Den TV show that says on the package that it's gluten free. It has chia seeds, hemp hearts, buckwheat groats, and dried fruit. (There's also "Skinny B" without the dried fruit from the same company, whick I prefer.)

I use it to sprinkle on cereal the same way that I use hemp hearts. Perhaps this would work for you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:00 pm 

Thanks for the thought. I'm pretty sure that I phoned them in the past and was told this cereal is processed on equipment that uses nuts. I was disappointed as the cereal sounds amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:29 am 

There is a product made by Manitoba Harvest they refer to it as hemp hearts in their description of the product. It is called "Shelled Hemp Seed." It is gluten free and nut free. You can buy it at Health Food Stores and also Loblaws. It is great on salads.

For inquiries you can call : 1 -800-665-4367 or email info@manitobaharvest.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:03 pm 

After reading your post I emailed Manitoba Harvest to make sure that nut free included peanut free. I was impressed with the quick response which included their allergen statement. I have cut and pasted it into a word document for others. I also found their product at Choices Market here in BC. Below is a copy of their allergy statement.

Quote:
Issue Date: Jan. 15/09 Supersedes: Nov. 4/08 Issued By: FSH
Allergen Statement

Although an individual can be allergic to any food, such as fruits,
vegetables, and meats, there are 9 foods that account for the majority
of all food-related allergic reactions.

Manitoba Harvest Hemp Foods and Oils products do not contain any
of the top recognized “major” allergens listed below:

1. Sesame Seeds or its derivatives
2. Eggs or its derivatives
3. Seafood (Fish, Crustaceans, and Shellfish)
4. Milk or its derivatives
5. Peanuts or its derivatives
6. Soy or its derivatives
7. Tree Nuts or its derivatives
8. Wheat or its derivatives
9. Sulphites

For further information regarding allergies and hemp, contact a
licensed health care practitioner.

Jeev Ramgotra
Quality Assurance Manager

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:58 pm 

Further to my comment earlier about Holy Crap cereal: Either my memory is no good, or they have changed their manufacturing procedures. I called today and the lady I spoke to says they are certified nut-free which means all their suppliers of ingredients do not use or process nuts. She made an interesting comment about they have to be careful of everything because even if the forklift were to go through, there can't be any nuts. I'm not sure if they meant drive through the premises or pierce a box, but either way, they've obviously thought of every scenario. So now I am anxious to try this cereal!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:15 pm 

The Manitoba Harvest ones are safe for almost everyone! We use their hemp hearts and hemp butter for granola bars, homemade cereals, and cookies. Vive le Vegan has some good recipes that use hemp products.

I had a bad reaction to another brand that had inconsistent labelling for traces of TN/PN, so be careful!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:32 am 

I had finally found the Manitoba Harvest hemp, and have been sprinkling it on my oatmeal. Thanks for the idea about the recipes, spacecanada; I will definitely check that out!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:30 pm 

I have just purchased the Holy Crap and Skinny B cereal but am kind of afraid to try it. Just like soccermom I called them and feel comfortable that they are pn/tn and coconut free but I have never eaten chia or hemp. Soccermom have you tried the cereal? If so what did you think of it?
With out ever having eatin these two items I feel like I need to touch my mouth then let time pass.... then just eat one grain....try early in the day..... What botanical family are these two items from?? I hate trying new things but if they are possible to add to my approved list that would be great.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:51 pm 

I've seen those cereals in the store too but was put off by the name and didn't investigate further. Let us know how they are!

Chia is from the mint family. Add some to hot water and applesauce and it makes a yummy hot breakfast. It can also be gelled up and used as an egg substitute. We haven't done much experimenting with it beyond breakfast and smoothies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:14 am 

I havn't tried the Skinny B, as I thought it looked too bland. The Holy Crap is very good; I add a few extra craisins after the cereal has soaked up the milk.

Paige, I totally understand your hesitancy about trying new foods. I have oral allergy syndrome to raw fruits and some vegetables. Because of that I was always scared to try unknown produce especially tropical fruits. Even though my brain was telling me that mangoes etc. wouldn't be in the birch family I was nervous. Well finally I overcame my nerves and did exactly what you said--touching a few new fruits to my lips, then my tongue, then taking tiny bites etc. I'm so glad I took the chance because I have added dragonfruit to my diet which is so nice when I can't eat so much other fruit. I didn't like the starfruit, and will eventually try mangoes, papaya etc. So I think it is good for you to try Skinny B in this fashion, and you should be fine as the ingredients are not in the nut family.