You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks to e-blast from AQAA (Quebec Food Allergy Assoc), we're up to over 440 now.

:goodidea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Make that over 550 a.m. of Dec. 6. Now, we've got a campaign going, people!

:banana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:09 pm 

Thanks for initiating this campaign in Quebec. As a Quebec mom of a child with 4 serious allergies, I was shocked when I found out that there is no policy in schools in Quebec. My sis-in-law is an elementary school teacher in Quebec and is trained in use of epipen and symptoms of anaphylaxis at the beginning of each school year. Consequently, I assumed this was the case for all schools, and was appalled when I learned that the school nurse, who is not always on staff full time, is responsible fr assessing and ensuring the training needs are met. The AQAA has training to assist in this process but had not (to my knowledge) attempted to have any formal legislation enacted.

After receiving the email from the AQAA this morning, I forwarded to my coworkers and friends (close to 500 people) which will hopefully get this campaign to the numbers needed to get this done.

Thank you on behalf of all Quebec parents of children with allergies!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Chris' Mom - thank you so much for helping to spread the word.
That is exactly the support this campaign needs to get the politicians' attention.

Merci bien.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

:thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:54 pm 

820 letters as of 8:55 pm Wed. Dec 7/11 !!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Good news: the Montreal Gazette will be running an article about the campaign for a Quebec anaphylaxis-asthma law on Friday. (Dec. 9).

They are interviewing the minister of education for her response to the campaign. :thumbsup

AL contacted the Gazette directly and they saw the media release put out by the AQAA: http://www.newswire.ca/fr/story/891733/ ... iale-sur-l

Oh and ..... 874 letters and counting!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Gazette story is now online: http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/P ... story.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

We are just 17 letters away from 1,000! Please, everyone send an e-mail to yuor family and friends.
:banana :banana We don't all have to be from Quebec, they can't ignore big numbers...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

CTV Montreal broadcast a story on their evening news.

Click here: http://montreal.ctv.ca/
Go to the video panel on the right, click on: "Child's death has parents lobbying for school allergy law".

Unfortunately - the minister of education says, so far at least, she doesn't see the need for a law!

We meed to convince her. More letters for the campaign, people: http://allergicliving.com/petitions/quebec-schools/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:41 am 
Site Admin

Ugh! How can she say that? Clearly we need some big guns to get the message through to her!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:34 pm 

I have been so busy learning new things.... and I went there and commented, I am also learning a new computer...so you all will have to go look yourself at it. While you are there....comment.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:23 pm 

Just sent mine and sent off emails. Thanks for making it so easy for us Gwen and everyone! The number is rising... :pipe

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

Belated thanks, AA.

Great mention in Guardian Angel Food's e-letter today.

Closing in on 1,500 letters. If you haven't written yet - now's the time.

:banana :banana

As a thanks to Julie of GA Foods - just a reminder that their delicious yule logs are now available.

Quote:
Our Christmas yule logs are available!

What is the greatest way to celebrate Christmas ? Our delicious Christmas yule logs! Every year, it is one of the biggest hits of Guardian Angel Foods! We have two delicious flavours: chocolate and maple.

They are both available in Metro (Quebec), IGA (Quebec) and our usual retail sales outlets. The chocolate yule log is also available in Metro (Ontario).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

Letter from Anaphylaxis Canada to the Quebec ministers:
Quote:
Re: Law protecting Quebec students with food allergies and asthma

Dear Mme Line Beauchamp, Vice Premier and Minister of Education, Recreation and Sport, and Dr. Yves Bolduc, Minister of Health and Social Services,
The news of Megann Ayotte Lefort, the 6-year-old Montreal girl who died of an allergic and asthmatic reaction at school is a tragedy that highlights the need for a provincial law. Currently, Quebec school boards develop protocols which outline the responsibilities of school staff, parents/guardians, students and others. These protocols can vary from region to region, resulting in different allergy- and asthma-related management strategies and treatment protocols.
Anaphylaxis is the most severe form of an allergic reaction. People with asthma who are also diagnosed with life-threatening allergies are more susceptible to serious breathing problems when experiencing an anaphylactic reaction. It is important to respond immediately and appropriately to a suspected reaction because delays can lead to death, as in the case of Megann.
A provincial law will help to standardize emergency procedures and better prepare schools to face the challenges presented by an increasing number of students with these health conditions. This belief is shared by our organization and others which are taking steps to better protect schoolchildren who are at risk of life-threatening allergies and asthma.
As the first legislation of its kind, Sabrina’s Law requires publicly-funded schools in Ontario to have an anaphylaxis policy that includes risk reduction strategies and requirements for the regular training of school staff as well as individual plans for allergic students. This law has influenced school policies in other provinces and territories across the country.
We hope you will carefully consider the need for a law to safeguard the many children like Megann who are attending Quebec schools.
Sincerely,
Laurie Harada

Thank you Laurie!