You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Soft Tortillas?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:37 pm 

Has anyone found soft tortillas (for fajitas/burritos) that are dairy, egg, peanut, and nut-free? (Sesame is OK for us.) The ones in the pre-packaged breads area all may contain dairy. The Old El Paso ones looked safe at first glance but the long list of chemicals in them scared me away. Does anyone know of another brand (available in AB) that is safe? (And not loaded with chemicals, if possible.)

Post subject: Re: Soft Tortillas?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:34 am 

Manny's. We get them at Safeway here in SK so I assume you would be able to find them in AB. They taste great and they have wholewheat too.

Old El Paso ones we get too. But yeah, that ingredients list leaves much to be desired.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:10 pm 

Thank you! I will stop by Safeway to see if they have any. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:11 pm 

Safeway didn't have any. I'll be checking Superstore, Sobeys, and Walmart in the next couple of days. Hmmm...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:11 am 

I know how you both feel. I can't eat them anymore due to all the chemicals I will (and have had reacted to in the past).

The solution is get a tortilla press. I got a good one in Toronto for 20 bucks, All you do is get the flour and some water. i will warn you, it is extremely difficult to prepare because they stick to the press quite easily and I refuse to get non-stick appliances, even before my allergy problems, non-stick is bad for you.

Anyway, if anyone knows a good way to make homemade tortila's let me know, They are inexpensive to make but I just can't get them off the press, even when using wax paper. :damnedcomputer :damnedcomputer :damnedcomputer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:51 am 

I have actually just made them in a cast iron frying pan before without the press. I haven't done it in a while though since the life of my cast iron pan ended unfortunately....

I'll see if I can dig up the recipe.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:26 am 
Site Admin

I use Dempster's Tortillas and Presidents Choice Tortillas http://www.dempsters.ca/en/Products/Dem ... al7in.aspx

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:49 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
I use Dempster's Tortillas and Presidents Choice Tortillas http://www.dempsters.ca/en/Products/Dem ... al7in.aspx

Really? Because at least here in Sask, both of those have a may contain milk on them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 pm 

Both brands may contain milk here too. :(

I have checked every store in town and all of them except Old El Paso have milk warmings. I have looked into tortilla presses too - but I don't eat them very often and just want a quick grab and go item if possible. We have made some in a pan too... just takes time...

Also, tortilla recipes recommend using corn flour which is less sticky than wheat. Oiling the press and using less water in the dough may reduce the sticking. ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Weird that your Dempsters and PC tortillas have milk in them...must be a different bakery.
Nope, ours are safe.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:09 pm 

We found Manny's at Safeway yesterday. They are safe, although they have a long complicated ingredient list as well. Fajitas were a nice treat last night! Today we will try burritos.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:38 pm 

I get Olafson's brand, and today noticed Que Pasa are also good. http://www.quepasafoods.com/products.htm? Read the FAQs. They don't list the flour tortillas . . .maybe they are new.

Olafson's says the factory has tree nuts, but the manufacturing line doesn't http://www.canadabreadfoodservice.ca/la ... illas.html

Also not sure how severe your dairy allergy is. We eat may contains for dairy as only mild for DS.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:45 am 

Alison's Mom wrote:
I get Olafson's brand, and today noticed Que Pasa are also good. http://www.quepasafoods.com/products.htm? Read the FAQs. They don't list the flour tortillas . . .maybe they are new.

Olafson's says the factory has tree nuts, but the manufacturing line doesn't http://www.canadabreadfoodservice.ca/la ... illas.html

Also not sure how severe your dairy allergy is. We eat may contains for dairy as only mild for DS.

I just checked, still not safe for us in Sask. at least. And FI's dairy allergy is instant death basically. Olafson's I will pick up...when I can find them which seems to be impossible. I have just found it easier to make my own.