You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:04 pm 

I had heard of this method through a dad at school, but read the link and thought it sounded way too complex. Then my next door neighbour/friend started making it too. After experimenting with the recipe, she put on a workshop to teach others. It was helpful to see the right consistency for the different stages in person before attempting. She had also modified the recipe slightly, but here's the standard version:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

I can never quite get the moist texture that my neighbour does, but I always use 1/3 to 2/3 whole wheat and/or spelt flour which changes things a lot. However, it is a nice crusty loaf that is cheap to make (very little yeast), and allergy friendly, with no egg or milk. It does require advanced planning, and a good cast iron, ceramic or pyrex lidded pot to bake the bread in.

Le Creuset (sp?) ones are nice, but expensive and the plastic handle can't be put in a 475 oven so one would need to purchase a metal handle separately if going that route.

I bought a 5L cast iron casserole dish from Ikea, but since my dough doesn't rise as much as the recipe says it should, the shape was flat the first time I made it. It worked well when I did a 1.5x recipe for a party, though. I then bought a 2L pyrex with a lid at Superstore for 10.99 and it works great. If using all white flour, it may rise more, necessitating a larger pot.

I hate plastic wrap and only use it when I absolutely have no choice, so for the recipe, I re-use the same plastic bag to cover my dough in the mixing bowl (which I keep rising in the oven with the light on), and use one of those chip clips to tie it shut.

Any questions, let me know!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:13 pm 

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this!!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:39 pm 

Alison's mom, I tried making this last night, letting it rise overnight for minimum 12 hours, etc., but my attempt failed :( (I'm definitely not an "Iron Chef" contender... :wink: I'd be better suited to Canada's Worst Chef :rofl ) After I let it rise for the 12 hours, it looked beautiful - nice and bubbly. But when I tried to handle it, it was like glue, and stuck to my fingers and the board. I added flour, as per the instructions, only to have more glue and stickiness. I did go on to try and complete the bread, but in the end I had a big doorstop stuck to the bottom of my enamel pan :rofl Obviously I need your neighbour's workshop! I do appreciate you sharing your recipe. Can you think of any reason why my dough was so gluey/sticky??

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:53 pm 

Oh no!

Hmmm. . . After the first rise, she showed us how to scrape dough onto a well floured surface like a cutting board, and cover hands well with flour before handling. I'll pm you tonight with some more tips.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:21 am 

Also something to think about is a difference in elevation, if there is one. I know my baking is a little different here compared to the foothills. Weird.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:24 am 

Ah, something to consider. We're at sea level. . . Not sure about Julie.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:42 pm 

http://busymomsmenuplan.blogspot.ca/201 ... k-pot.html Slow cooker bread recipe. It turns out really great. I double it to make a bigger loaf. I have made it twice. If you make a double recipe, cook it 2 hours rather than 1.5 as the recipe says. The bread does not get brown all of just on the bottom. It is crusty though, but if you want the brown crust you have to put it under the broiler for a few minutes. I have never put mine under the broiler.I mixed it up with a fork, knead it a few times until it isn't sticky and let it rise for 45 minutes to an hour or until double like the recipe says and the bread is really good